Author Topic: .msi install no admin rights  (Read 5929 times)

Offline Djfe

• View Profile
.msi install no admin rights
« on: November 01, 2013, 06:05:47 am »
I have issues with installing .msi files (windows installer).
Everytime I install an .msi programm or uninstall which needs admin rights, the windows will complain that I don't have the needed admin rights
BUT I am the admin and I'm using Win 7 32bit Home Premium ->there is no uac popup (like normally)
I can't access the permission management or something like that (don't know exactly how it is called in English cause I'm German, but as it is only included in "higher" Windows Versions I cannot use it)

I don't know which programm has changed the setting and how

I found a workaround for it:
starting .msi files with an admin commandoline
and I managed to make a registry entry for .msi files so that the context menu now has an entry for starting .msi files as an admin

but I still cannot uninstall some of the programms if they have no uninstaller but are calling the windows installer with a few parameters (programm id or something like that)

is there a way to fix this permission issues? (I haven't found any good solution to this on the internet, yet, so I hope somebody here can help me.)

another annoying issue this time caused by the windows all in one repair tool of this website:
I have dpc latency issues caused by my network driver (haven't managed to "disable" them completely but that is no real issue anymore).
So I used your all in one repair tool.
Including the file permission fixes, which "destroyed" more than they helped
some of my folders are shared on the network and the tool fixed the file permission for everyone to use on every single subfolder.
Now I can barely move or delete such folders because Windows shows for every single folder an error that the folder is shared on the network and people may are using it right now or something like that
even disabling the "everyone" for those folders hasn't changed anything and I even tried to change permissions with security file tab for the subfolders but that just took time and didn't help

and it has even done this on folders like appdata... (I had shared my user folder on the local network) -> some programm errors (but I could fix them)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: .msi install no admin rights
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 03:28:15 am »
Lets find out if it is system wide or something to do with the user profile.

To do that just create a new user account, make it have admin rights and then log in with that account and see how it does.

If it works fine under the new account then we know it is something with your old account, if it still doesn't work then we know it is something system wide and can go from there :-)

Shane

Offline Djfe

• View Profile
Re: .msi install no admin rights
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 03:58:45 am »
Have no time right now and have to find an example install progress to test.
Will look at it tomorrow again.