Author Topic: A good antimalware tool  (Read 6232 times)

Offline potatos

• View Profile
A good antimalware tool
« on: November 14, 2013, 07:56:35 am »
Hey, can you help me with an advice.
Two days ago I noticed my homepage and search engine were changed. Instead of the old one, there was this thing Qvo6. I searched how to remove it and i found a lot of useful information. I followed the steps from here http://www.xp-vista.com/spyware-removal/qvo6-removal-guide but the last thing I have to do according to most of the articles is to install an antimalware tool, to get rid of any left files. The thing is, that the program they suggest is unknown to me and i am not sure if I should use it. Is there any good and reliable software that you can suggest, from personal experience maybe.. thank you! :thinking:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: A good antimalware tool
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 12:45:02 pm »
Try this one
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/mbar/

As for which one is best to use, that changes all the time just like antivirus software does.

Because where one program might do a good job removing current malware, when new ones come out they may not do a good job where another program might. And it goes back and fourth like this. So it can be hard to know which to run.

As for malware you can run a couple of different free scanners to just make sure, malwarebytes is one I use. It is normally good but you can always run a scan with another one. And old one I use to use but havent in a long time was spybot search and destroy.

There are so many different malware scanners now it is impossible to have a favorite and to know which one keeps up on the newest malware.

Shane

Offline potatos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 01:21:05 am »
Thank you, Shane!
I downloaded Malwarebytes and I guess that if I update it regularly I won't have a problem  :smiley:

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 12:18:48 am »
Hi, I would also suggest that you reset internet explorer by going to the advanced tab in the internet options and clicking the reset button. You could later update it again. Also to get rid of this qvo3, you have to right click the internet explorer icon and then click properties and in the shortcut tab in the target box, remove all the entries after "c:programfiles\internet explorer\iexplore.exe and finish it with double quotes. the qvo6 add their https address and codes here for confusing. The entry after your correction should read as "c:programfiles\internet explorer\iexplore.exe"". This is important that i removed this entry to get rid of this tool bar in one computer.Malware bytes by shanes recommendation is the best one, but i would also suggest that do not download software from unknown, and sites like cnet which now is flooded with bundled softwares. I would recommend majorgeeks.com for any download or authors site. Filehippo is one such secured site.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".