Author Topic: The Diagnostic Policy Service is not running  (Read 16989 times)

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
The Diagnostic Policy Service is not running
« on: November 17, 2013, 11:10:13 pm »
I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate MSDN x64.  I have no idea what other kind of information that is pertinent besides what I've already attempted to do.  Whenever I have a Yellow caution symbol on my WiFi adapter, I'm unable to run the troubleshooter to find out why and possibly do some repairing. 

I've restarted several times and have done multiple scans of MSE, Malwarebytes, Combofix, and a slew of other antivirus programs.

I've checked services.msi and confirmed the DPS can start (though it shuts down immediately thereafter) and that it is not disabled or even manual.

I've tried "Restore Important Windows Services" in Tweaking AIO (after disabling MSE).

I still cannot run a troubleshooter on a WiFi network that only has a local connection.  What gives?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: The Diagnostic Policy Service is not running
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 11:30:52 am »
If the service is starting then stopping then the regkeys for the service arent the problem (Normally)

Have you done a system file check yet? Open a cmd.exe window and put in sfc /scannow

That will check if all system files are good, doesnt always work but at least it is something lol.

Besides that service what other problems are happening on the system?

Whenever I have a Yellow caution symbol on my WiFi adapter

Are you talking about int he device manager? A yellow symbol will happen for two reasons normally.

1. The hardware is bad
2. The drive on the system is corrupt and needs to be wiped and reinstalled. (The driver, not the system)

Try this trick.

In the device manager go to view and show hidden devices.

Now where the wireless adapter is you should see it and any old adapters that where installed. Remove the wifi and any old ones that show up, they will be grayed out.

Show hidden devices lets you see all hardware ever added to the system but isnt currently being used. I use this trick to remove any old copies of hardware in the system, a lot of times it can help clear a driver problem allowing windows to install the driver correctly again :-)

Shane

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 08:33:10 pm »
SFC scan did not find anything wrong.  I haven't noticed any other particular services that aren't running properly.

It's not a hardware issue.  The yellow symbol is regarding the network connection status.  Sometimes it takes a long time for Windows to identify, or ask about identifying (Home, Work, or Public) networks, or there was some sort of IP conflict/unassigned address error that would be taken care of with the Troubleshooter.  However, the troubleshooter cannot run without DPS; hence my problem.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 11:46:28 am »
When you used my repair tool did you run all the repairs or only the one?

If you didnt run all the repairs, have the program backup the registry first and then run all repairs and see how it does.

A lot of things are tied together. An example is the Windows firewall and WMI. The firewall needs WMI then you also have permissions. So normally to make the firewall work properly you run the permissions, wmi and firewall repairs not just the firewall repair. This is just an example but why I normally like when a user trys all the repairs :-)

Shane

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 12:10:05 pm »
Ah, okay.  It's not too surprising to find out it's probably some other step in your tool (which I use extensively for fixing my friends' computers), but is there any way I could cut down the amount of time for repair?  Anything I could mostly likely skip?  Fortunately, I can remotely control my computer and most things should be done by the time I get home, but it's also the Media Center of the house and I don't want to potentially knock it out for the 5+ hrs I have left in my day.

Thanks for writing such a comprehensive tool that actually WORKS!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 07:20:14 pm »
On newer systems the repairs dont take to long when you run all of them, like 15 min or less. On old systems though I have seen the bad boy take over an hour.

Mainly because the cpu was slower and the hard drive was slow. The slowest repairs are the first two, that they also do the most.

I say run all the repairs at night and just have it set to auto reboot :-)

Shane

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 07:31:05 pm »
I selected each entry for Windows repair and it did not solve the problem.  When I attempt to repair wireless connections (even if there's nothing wrong), the DPS does not turn on and I get an error message.

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 07:54:10 pm »
Not sure how related this is, but I am also unable to install .NET 4.5.1. 

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 12:50:31 am »
Those two things may be related.

First try this, any time I have any trouble with .net, the only way I have ever been able to make it work is by completely yanking it out of the system and then installing it fresh. Works every time.

Try it, Use this tool
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

Then reboot and then install .net and see how that goes :-)

Shane

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 09:23:21 pm »
Well, one problem was solved, though the original remains.  I was able to successfully install .NET 4.5.1 but not able to diagnose my network and have Windows attempt to repair it.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 03:03:40 pm »
Dang, I was hoping they were related lol

So my trick of removing .net worked for you to get 4.5.1 installed?

Shane

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 03:36:46 pm »
Yep.  Overall performance was better, too.  Something must've messed up my .NET 4.5 install, but still no closer to fixing DPS.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 03:55:59 pm »
So .net was broke and DPS and we got one fixed.

If I got my hands on it I could trace it and find out what is needed. Service entries, reg entries and files.

Thats normally the 3 things that make or break a service in Windows. That the files it needs are correct, that the service regkeys are good (Easy to fix) and that any special settings that are int he registry are good. That is the hardest part in Windows. 95% of the problems in Windows usually come down to the registry and with over 1 million keys in the registry it isnt easy to find. You have to rely on google and research to try and find information on which regkeys a service needs.

Thats why 75% of the time a repair install works. It keeps all your programs and settings but redoes all the default reg settings that Windows needs.

I dont remember if I asked but does the event viewer give us any information to work with?

Shane

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 06:17:13 pm »
I get start/stop messages regarding DPS in the SYSTEM event viewer, but I'm not sure what to be looking for there:

The Diagnostic Policy Service service entered the running state. (12/2/2013 9:07:27 PM)

The Diagnostic Policy Service service entered the stopped state. (12/2/2013 9:07:27 PM)

So it may not be a problem with DPS, but whatever service hooks in and uses it?  The way I understand it, it now seems like the service works but DPS doesn't receive what it needs in order to perform the task so it shuts down immediately because it thinks its not in use.  Could it be a problem with whatever service/program calls DPS?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 08:13:09 pm »
You might be on the right track, the event log is showing DPS starting and stopping correctly. So means something that needs it might be failing.

You can look at services and see which have a decency for it. Or it may not be a service that needs it but something else. Ah the fun part.

Shane

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 09:22:41 pm »
DPS has no dependencies, but how can I find out if something depends on DPS?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 10:39:21 am »
I did a serach on the services in the registry because it would have depends on service in there, and none have DPS listed.

I can export the dps service regkeys and you can compare them with yours.

Shane