Author Topic: Improvements for WindowsRepair  (Read 37878 times)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Improvements for WindowsRepair
« on: October 13, 2011, 12:44:12 pm »
1. Perhaps you could lock the moving arrow as soon as the user hits "Start"" and unlock the moving arrow as soon as the program has finished its repair jobs ?
2. I selected Basic Mode and hit ""Start"". Then as WR started working then a number of what I would call MS-DOS windows (cmd.exe) opened. After having finished these windows also closed again. Is this supposed to happen ? Is this normal ?
3. IE 8 was running when I ran WR (Basic mode). After I finished WR, suddenly at the top of the screen a message appeared that asked/recommended that I should set the, what I would call the internet security level back to normal (average ?). It seems that WR resets the security level down to the lowest level possible. Perhaps WR could remember the previous security level and restore it back to that level. Or did I do something wrong because I didn't restart my laptop inmediately ?

Perhaps these remarks could lead to an improved WR v1.4.x or WR v1.5.0 ? No need to rush it with a new version.

I use XP SP 3 with all the latest updates.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Improvements for WindowsRepair
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 01:15:09 pm »
1. Perhaps you could lock the moving arrow as soon as the user hits "Start"" and unlock the moving arrow as soon as the program has finished its repair jobs ?
I could do 2 arrows. One showing the current repair that is going and the 2nd showing what you mouse over.

2. I selected Basic Mode and hit ""Start"". Then as WR started working then a number of what I would call MS-DOS windows (cmd.exe) opened. After having finished these windows also closed again. Is this supposed to happen ? Is this normal ?
I did this on purpose. My program mimics repairs and does a lot of them through a command window, I want people to be able to see the progress of the repair :-)

3. IE 8 was running when I ran WR (Basic mode). After I finished WR, suddenly at the top of the screen a message appeared that asked/recommended that I should set the, what I would call the internet security level back to normal (average ?). It seems that WR resets the security level down to the lowest level possible. Perhaps WR could remember the previous security level and restore it back to that level. Or did I do something wrong because I didn't restart my laptop inmediately ?

The Fix sidebar repair removes the zone settings in the registry, which will put the IE security back to default. I was going to remove this, but found that if a person has their security messed up then this is a good fix for it.

Perhaps these remarks could lead to an improved WR v1.4.x or WR v1.5.0 ? No need to rush it with a new version.
Already working on v1.4.1. Adding more fixes and such. Expect a LOT of updates with this program.

Just as I posted here :-)
http://www.softpedia.com/progViewOpinions/Tweaking-com-Windows-Repair-195211,.html

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 12:28:44 pm »
1. about those MS-DOS (cmd.exe) windows and those ""secret formulas"" : I personally wouldn't mind if that remained ""below the radar"". Or is this meant to see where problems occur ? (Does cmd.exe report such errors ? Doesn't cmd.exe close the window automatically when an error occurs ?) If so, then perhaps it's a good idea to let WR generate a logfile everytime WR runs. Windows is a VERY complicated system and then perhaps a logfile would help you to see where things go ""off the rails"". What do other users think ?

2. Would you appreciate it when I put out an message on the Piriform forum that you would like to have more testers for WR ? Do you like to have more test users ? Or do you get already enough responses/feed back ? I use XP and my opinion is therefore not too relevant. Better to have more Vista and Win7 users/testers, wouldn't you think so ?

3. About the ""sidebar"" thing: is this something I can find in XP ? Or is this something related to Vista or Win7 ? (as metioned above I still use XP). If it's not included in XP then perhaps you could make it platform dependent or is that too much work ? I never had that ""internet security"" warning before. I thought an virus or something else had penetrated my firewall.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 03:56:50 pm »
1. about those MS-DOS (cmd.exe) windows and those ""secret formulas"" : I personally wouldn't mind if that remained ""below the radar"". Or is this meant to see where problems occur ? (Does cmd.exe report such errors ? Doesn't cmd.exe close the window automatically when an error occurs ?) If so, then perhaps it's a good idea to let WR generate a logfile everytime WR runs. Windows is a VERY complicated system and then perhaps a logfile would help you to see where things go ""off the rails"". What do other users think ?

Not a lot of ways to record any errors, plus I like having the windows show for multiple reasons.
1. Users can see whats going on, and so can I.
2. People can report errors if they see any.
3. People will know the program isnt locked up and how far a repair is (The permissions repair is a good example.

2. Would you appreciate it when I put out an message on the Piriform forum that you would like to have more testers for WR ? Do you like to have more test users ? Or do you get already enough responses/feed back ? I use XP and my opinion is therefore not too relevant. Better to have more Vista and Win7 users/testers, wouldn't you think so ?

The more the better. I want this app to grow into something great. And I can only do that with the help of others.
I have a plan for this program. The point of the program is to help those people out there who can't afford to have their computers fixed. And to help make some repairs even simpler for my fellow techs :-)

3. About the ""sidebar"" thing: is this something I can find in XP ? Or is this something related to Vista or Win7 ? (as metioned above I still use XP). If it's not included in XP then perhaps you could make it platform dependent or is that too much work ? I never had that ""internet security"" warning before. I thought an virus or something else had penetrated my firewall.

I am going to remove the reg key being deleted. If a person needs the security reset that can do that in internet options. better not to mess with it. v1.4.1 will be out on monday :-)

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 05:48:37 am »
I think I have an better suggestion for the moving arrow.

As long as the user hasn't WR put to work then the arrow and the explanation text (on the right hand top of the repair window) could move in sync. But as soon as the user has hit ""Start"" then WR could move the arrow only as the repairs progress and leave the explanation text untouched/unchanged.

Sorry for the late suggestion. I didn't know you were this far with version v1.4.1. Wanted to let you know anyway. Had a good night's sleep and then this popped up. Perhaps something for v1.4.2 ??

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 10:37:04 am »
Easy to do. Just put some code over the mouse over event to say if the repairs are going then skip this.

Done :-)

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 10:23:41 am »
I posted an invitation to test WR on the Piriform forum and two users replied. See this thread:
http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=34060

Perhaps you want to reply/post a comment as well ? They seem to have some valid points/remarks.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 10:53:50 am »
Thanks, I replied :-)

Why do I feel like I am going to have to defend this program just like I had to defend CleanMem?

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 10:41:48 am »
There're some things I came across in the GUI of RW v1.52. I was fiddling around and watched what happened. I don't know whether I missed it before or perhaps you changed a number things in order to make WR run faster. And I don't know if there's a fix for these issues (I don't want to call errors) and whether you want to fix/change this. (Yes, I know you have called me ""picky"" (??) before :wink: :wink: )

1. When I put WR to work then a number of CMD.EXE boxes open and (of course) after a while they close again. But the thing that annoys me a bit is that WR (before all CMD.EXE boxes are closed) already displays the messages ""You must restart the system now"" and (in a separate window) ""Do you want restart the system now ?"". So, the jobs in the CMD.EXE boxes haven't finished when this message shows up. Is this done deliberately ?
2. Does WR still run the first three jobs ? (Custom & Advanced Mode) Because in a previous version it took a significant amount of time to perform these three jobs. Or do these jobs take a lot of time less or no time when these jobs already have been done ? Because it looks like (!) RW simply skips these jobs. Perhaps it skips other jobs as well ? (I don't know which ""secret formula"" is used for which repair job, so I can't check what RW is doing at any given time).
3. WR highlights the repair job that's being performed. But then it at some point the highlighted line jumps back to the line that was highlighted with the mouse cursor before.
4. You removed the file counter on the bottom right hand of the window. Or it seems it doesn't work any more ? Previously you said, you wanted to keep that counter or was the counter removed in order to get
more speed ? But then I think you could eliminate the counter from the repair window.

Or do these issues disappear when I restart WR ? All issues are NOT fatal, don't cause RW or Windows XP to crash. O yes, I do like the new buttons with the coloured edges.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 12:43:52 pm »
:omg: The thing described in the previous post under 1) seem to occur only when my laptop is connected to the internet. :omg:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 03:25:49 pm »
The program scans for cmd.exe, to see if it is running, when it isnt it goes onto the next repair.

It shouldnt be skipping anything :wink:

Shane

Offline Bluecomputertech

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 12:57:56 am »
i had a computer that the windows updates wouldnt start .... i manually turned them on and i also ran combo fix .... a buddy of mine said this program usually resoolves problems like that but it didnt ..... just notifing you that it will not get the update service to start again ..... the os i used it on was windows 7

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 02:44:31 pm »
i had a computer that the windows updates wouldnt start .... i manually turned them on and i also ran combo fix .... a buddy of mine said this program usually resoolves problems like that but it didnt ..... just notifing you that it will not get the update service to start again ..... the os i used it on was windows 7

Please start another thread for this :-)

The repair tool registers the windows up dates files and such like that. But doesn't do anything with the service (Such as the reg keys for the service)

Post a new thread and I will work with you to find what is needed and then add it to the repair in the program :-)

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 11:17:42 pm »
@Shane:

I made a screenshot of the second repairjob. And the folders contain a lot of files, so I would assume it would take a lot of/significant amount of time. :confused:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 07:28:34 am »
You right, that is going WAY to fast. You should see a cmd window open with a list of files that are ebing reset. I take it your not seeing that window?

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 12:56:27 pm »
WEIRD !!!! I ran it that task two times and now it took 13 seconds and 1 minute 5 seconds. Yes, sometimes the CMD.EXE windows open (and close (of course)) all at the same time and then they open one after another. :confused: Perhaps one should close as much programs as possible.

Is my system to blame (outdated ???). One problem was solved by removing one program that helped me to update my NOKIA mobile phone. But even then WR should behave in - IMO - a more regular/stable fashion. Perhaps I should try the separate programs that contain only ONE repair job to see what's going on.

I noticed something else. In one repair job it processes all the files the ""System32"" folder. Then it tries to switch to a "".....WOW64......"" folder and it (of course) fails. Because I use XP and not Vista or Windows 7. But nonetheless it processes that same folder (System32\*.*) again. I think you should use Windows System variables that direct WR to the proper folder. (%rootdir% (????)).

I also noticed there's a new version of WR (v1.5.3) out. So. I'll install it and run it. To be continued !!!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 01:03:46 pm »
Yeah if the syswow folder isnt there it just skips it, nothing hurt.

In the same folder as the program is a files folder.
subinacl.exe and psexec.exe are used for that repair, make sure those files are there. :-)

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 01:35:06 pm »
Yes, I agree it doesn't hurt but then it does process the ""......System32......"" folder twice. And that's where Windows systemvariable could help to speed up WR.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 10:50:50 am »
I ran the program (with ""Reset File permissions"" ticked only). And the folders ""Documents & Settings"", ""Program Files"" and ""Windows"" were processed in a record time (every folder only 2 (!!!) seconds). Although these folders are 2.0 Gb, 1.2 Gb and  2.3 Gb in size (on my laptop with Win XP). This suggests that WR fails to process all the subfolders of every main folder on my drive C:. That's why the time for this repair job is so ridiculous low. Did you change something in the program code between two versions ?

I also ran ""Reset Registry permissions"" and I watched what would appear in the CMD.exe window. A number of times it said things like ""Command not recognized"" and ""file not found"". :confused:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 01:11:34 pm »
You never answered this

In the same folder as the program is a files folder.
subinacl.exe and psexec.exe are used for that repair, make sure those files are there. :-)

Those files are used in the repair, see if they are there  :wink:

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 02:17:03 pm »
Sorry. Yes, I missed that. Yes, at least ""Subinacl.exe"" caused - at least - one error in CMD.exe. (Not recognized).

Both ""Subinacl.exe"" and ""Psexec.exe"" are found in a subfolder of ""....\Windowsrepair v1.52\"". And I found ""Subinacl.exe"" also in the ""C:\"" folder (with the hidden (???) attribute set). Or should ""Psexec.exe"" be copied to the ""C:\"" folder as well ?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 02:21:46 pm »
Psexec.exe is working or you would never see the command window. The problem is with Subinacl.exe. This is what sets the permissions. And it shouldn't be hidden.

Here is the bat file that the program makes and runs, you shouldn't be getting an error. I am also not sure how your  Subinacl.exe on the c drive got marked hidden. Try getting rid of it and try the repair again :wink:

"@echo on"
"copy /y " &  App.path & "\files\subinacl.exe" & " C:\subinacl.exe"
"takeown /F " & "C:\subinacl.exe" & " >nul"
"icacls " & "C:\subinacl.exe" & " /GRANT *S-1-1-0:F >nul"
"C:\subinacl.exe" & " /subdirectories " & "\*.*"  & " /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=everyone=f /grant=users=f"

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2011, 01:07:05 pm »
Weird. ""Subinacl.exe"" works. In that script you gave the commands ""takeown"" and ""icacls"" both generate an error in CMD.exe. Or is my system faulty ? Are these commands only found in the "".NET"" software ? (Which I didn't install).

When I run ""Reset registry permissions"" then CMD.exe reports that it has rejected a command because it came across a wildcard ""*"". It seems it wants to access a part of the registry and then gets ""rejected"". Weird. Why did it work with a previous version of WR ?

I fear the removal of a piece of software or an (web-)update from Microsoft could have caused this weird behaviour.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2011, 01:23:21 pm »
Those errors are excepted.

Does the reg permissions repair work? It uses the same files. And when you do it you should see the cmd window working away.

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2011, 10:48:51 am »
I have been fiddling around with Windows Repair (WR), Simple Performance Boost (SPB) and the MSDOS (CMD.exe) command CHKDSK lately. This gives me a clue what could have gone wrong in WR on my system (Windows XP). I tried to repair the filesystem of a 4 GB MicroSD memory card (FAT32) with the CHKDSK command but the response was ""Command not recognized"". Then I typed the command PATH and the response was ""PATH=<NULL>"". No wonder I couldn't use the CHKDSK command because CHKDSK is placed in the ""C\Windows\system32"" directory.

It seems WR (or SPB) issues some sort of ""PATH=<NULL>"" command. Because SPB (i.e. ""netsh.exe"") also wanted to acess a file (""framedyn.dll"") in the ""C:\windows\system32\wbem"" folder and fails to find it and generated a non fatal error. And this COULD explain why WR fails to e.g. both ""Reset file Permissions"" and ""Reset Registry Permissions"". WR extensively uses CMD.exe to execute a number of commands. WR wants to access e.g. the ""C\Windows\system32\wbem"" folder as well. So, could you check what PATH commands both WR and SPB are issueing while running. Or is my filing system broken ? Did you change something in the latest version ?