Main Forum > General Computer Support

USB Drives Not Recognized

(1/2) > >>

crysridge:
This seems a very common problem without a simple solution.  I'm wondering if this could be something addressed in your tweaking program.  It seems to occur in all versions of Windows.  Until recently I have had no problem at all but, suddenly, my computer no longer "sees" anything I connect after bootup.  This includes items connected to built-in USB ports and to ports on external hubs.  Hardware that is always always connected seems OK (ie. printer).   

Thanks for your work and interest.

Shane:
Is it just USB hard drives or anything plug into usb like keyboard, mouse or printer?

Shane

crysridge:
Hi Shane, it's a mystery !  The printer works, a couple of other items that start when booting work.  The powered hub no longer seems to work and several USB hard drives
did not register with windows when plugged in directly to the tower.  Just tried a flash drive and it worked in the tower but not in the hub.  I'm beginning to suspect my powered hub has gone bad.  The confusing part is that several USB hard drives that worked in both the hub and the tower no longer work in either.  The first USB HD I tried that did not work in either I plugged into a netbook and it worked just fine.  Go figure !

Thanks
Brian

Shane:
Might be the hub.

If nothing is working in the hub and yet they work when plugged directly in then I think you found the problem :wink:

Shane

crysridge:
Nope !! Not the hub.  I plugged it into my netbook and it was immediately recognized and the "Generic Hub" driver was initiated.  Then I connected the USB hard drive that didn't work on my tower and it was immediately recognized.  Seems there is a problem with the "Generic Hub" driver on my tower.  Somehow it has been recently removed or corrupted.  That is the issue I thought might be a good one for your "tweaking" software.  As I stated before, a search of the web has shown that this is a very common problem, it seems.

I really don't know what to try next.  Any suggestions ?
Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version