Author Topic: Is there a conflict in restore instructions?  (Read 6514 times)

Offline [email protected]

• View Profile
Is there a conflict in restore instructions?
« on: December 16, 2013, 08:25:00 am »
I think there a slight conflict in the restore instructions. Here's what printed on the WEBSITE:

"Thankfully Microsoft made this recovery console much better and thus is far simpler to do a restore if Windows won't boot. Once at the "System Recovery Options" click on "Command Prompt"
Once the command prompt is open simply browse to the backup of your choice and run dos_restore.cmd
That's all, then just reboot."

In the video, however, you add an extra step. Once you see the dirs with the dates, you instruct the user to change directories to the name of the pc. Ex: cd user-mnpc. Also the does syntax with underscores is unfamiliar to me. First, can you please clear up this conflict. Second, and this would be enormously helpful: For Win 7, can you please issue a set of written step-by-step instructions, complete with cmd-line syntax, that we can print out and tuck somewhere in case of a crash and no safe mode.

I'm a former ERUNT user and really like your work on this program.

Thank you. mnorman

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a conflict in restore instructions?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 12:23:47 pm »
I have to rewatch them, I made them a while ago lol.

In the video, however, you add an extra step. Once you see the dirs with the dates, you instruct the user to change directories to the name of the pc. Ex: cd user-mnpc. Also the does syntax with underscores is unfamiliar to me. First, can you please clear up this conflict

The backup program stores the backups in a folder based on the computer name and then the date and time. So people have a dual boot system so they may have 2 computer name folders int here. That is why I did it that way.

Then I have the program save the registry in the same folder paths so if you watch the linux video you will see how you can just copy and paste and your done.

It is hard to have a good write up on it because there is different variables base don the computer computer. Such as what drive letter windows installed on, what computer name they have and the date and times of the backups.

Personally when the system wont boot because the registry is corrupt and you need to restore it using the bootable ubuntu cd is the easiest. No commands to run and such. The cmd in windows 7 recovery options is far easier than xp thankfully but still requires putting in the commands.

Shane