Author Topic: Yellow Exclamation Mark on network icon claims I have no internet access..  (Read 12174 times)

Offline Old_Bull

• View Profile
And it lies.
I am typing this on the problem child PC now.

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1 64 Bit fully updated.

I have uninstalled the network drivers and reinstalled (obviously).
None of the "fixes" that Google has yielded have been successful.

I used your "Repair_Network" tool and it corrected the problem, briefly. I ran it again and it did not work the second time.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Next time it happens unplug the network cable and then see if the red X appears. Then plug the cable back in and see if it changes. If it is wireless try disabling the wireless and see if it changes as well.

Does this happen when you first turn on the computer?

Windows simply sees if it can communicate with a website or something and if it cant it gives the yellow !

At the same time there is a odd bug with the SSPD service where the tray icons dont get updated when you first boot the system, so it is possible that if it is happening at boot up that the icon did change but was never updated. So unplugging it while it is on and back will make the icon update itself in the tray.

Lets go from there :-)

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Did you try to run trouble shooter. Even modem connections would be the reason for problem. Switch off the modem and let it idle for a few minutes and then switch on. I solved most of the problem, by trouble shooting network diagnostic tool.It fixes mostly.
Otherwise, Unplug the power to the modem completely and power on after a wait of 2 minutes.
This will solve the problem. This is what i have done to resolve the issue.
There is a possibility of loose connection either at the connection point in the computer or the cable connecting the modem and computer
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Old_Bull

• View Profile
Gentlemen, thank you. The ONLY thing I did not do was unplug the Ethernet cable as Shane suggested.
The trouble shooter was no help.

As it turned out, my system restore was corrupted and I went ahead and did a clean\fresh install.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 10:55:33 am by Old_Bull »

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
System Restore can be a nightmare. A better solution is to install "Tweaking's Registry Backup". This program is designed to make a backup of the Windows registry upon start up. It's not as comprehensive as System Restore but that's precisely the reason why it works MUCH better !!! And it has saved my "computer bacon" about 15 times in the last say 2 years.

Offline Old_Bull

• View Profile
System Restore can be a nightmare. A better solution is to install "Tweaking's Registry Backup". This program is designed to make a backup of the Windows registry upon start up. It's not as comprehensive as System Restore but that's precisely the reason why it works MUCH better !!! And it has saved my "computer bacon" about 15 times in the last say 2 years.

I have installed "Tweaking's Registry Backup" and it is doing it's thing when I boot my machine.
Thanks for the tip and many thanks to Shane for making these great tools.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Always happy to help :-)

Shane