Author Topic: My computer boots, but after repeated strain of hard drive and monitor windows 7  (Read 11037 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, This problem i face for the few days. It boots fine, but normally it does with just a press of finger in the start button. But now, it seems that it boots and fails and then boots and fails and then so on. Finally, at about a minutes of this behaviour, i could heard a sound in the monitor, and it boots to normal. Is it any problem or this is a normal case in case of severe drop of temp in winter at my place. Do i need to run chkdsk /f/r and any other advice. Why this behaviour. When i hear hard drive sounding at start up and a kind of pulse sound in monitor,(cluck or sudden sound of life in monitor). Is that denote, there is problem in monitor or hard ware. Shane, i would look forward to your solution
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline chris635

• View Profile
I would run chkdsk then move on to other hardware checks.

Chris
Physical Science Technician
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris

Offline jraju

• View Profile
I have done the chkdsk and found no error
I have also checked startup repairs, found no issues
Will winter claimate has something to do with it.
when i was having xp, in winter, the boot will not happen, and the monitor display will be very hazy.
smp status ok, because there is starting of yellow light, when switched
what are the other hardware checks,

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
When you say boot and then fails, what exactly happens, I need to know exactly because there is an answer based on what it is doing :-)

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
When power on, my system starts, the power switch is just green, there is some activity in the hard drive, the yellow light is on, but the monitor light blinks off and on when you just switch on, then stops the activity all together.
               there is a contiuous loop of this, and i press again the switch on button, it runs the same .

This goes on for some time, and finally boots normally, as if there is no problem.
               I tried start repair, if there is any problem, but the scan shows that there is no error.
               chkdsk /f/r runs and then report no problem in winlogon.
               Is it s winter behaviour, as we are experiencing chilly weather now?
               Should i do any check further?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
It is possible it is the power supply.

I had it happen to me, let me explain.

On my own system when I turned my computer on for the first time in the morning my video would have lines through it and lock up. Hit reset and it worked just fine and never even crashed. I could play all the games I wanted, no lock up or crash. This only happened when I turned it on.

What it turned out being was the power supply. When I put in a new one the problem hasnt happen again since. What was happening was the power supply wasnt giving enough power for the video card, but after the power supply was on for about 10 sec or so it was "warmed" up and then worked just fine.

So with you getting no screen and such it could be the system isnt getting enough power. So if your able try a new power supply. Always possible to be motherboard or cpu as well, but power supply is a lot easy to test by simply trying another one if you can get one.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi shane I also thought of it.
I am using ups for a long time and would it not supply the enough power required. i do not know.
How to check the power supply from ups. It was working fine hitherto.
Should i change the charge battery of ups. It is apc ups of minimum power,for one computer,1/2kva
                Hi, Shane due to power surge in case of sudden cut of power supply, I am using the ups. Do you mean the load, or the phase of electricity supply?
                I have done the chkdsk on c drive. It stays at a file for some time and then it finished properly and reported 0 bad sectors. Please your advice

Offline chris635

• View Profile
Hey!

I had a problem the other day with my ups back up (causing my system to shutdown under load). The battery was bad. I moved to a bigger ups back up...problem solved.

Chris
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Easiest way to see if it is your battery backup is to plug the computer directly into the wall instead and see how it does. If it still does it then try the power supply, but if it works fine when plugged into the wall then you know it is your battery backup :wink:

Shane

Offline chris635

• View Profile
That's exactly what you doooooo! :tongue:
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris