Author Topic: AIO Windows Repair - Feature Tweak: Show Desktop Icons  (Read 3976 times)

Offline Virucyde

• View Profile
AIO Windows Repair - Feature Tweak: Show Desktop Icons
« on: January 06, 2014, 02:14:47 AM »
In the option to unhide non-system files and such hidden by viruses, I recently encountered a problem where the desktop remained hidden, and eventually found that the virus had unchecked the setting "Show Desktop Icons" that you can find when you right-click the desktop and go under View.

I figure it shouldn't add anything at all to the procedure to simply verify that that option is checked, since virtually no one uses it off.

The registry key for Windows XP is stored here:
Code: [Select]
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\HideIcons
I assume it's the same for other versions of Windows.

I was going to request a sort of error reporting that would allow me to see what errors were fixed by Tweaking to get an idea of what the damage was, but I saw the post from another user about making a scanner, and I assume that scanning the registry values before modifying them would add substantially to the scan time. That being said, I'd like to add a second vote for this kind of major feature, knowing what exactly Tweaking fixed, even if you can't report EVERYTHING, would be a great addition.

On the subject of dream features that would be hard to implement, I'd love it if Tweaking were capable of performing its changes on an Offline Windows, in other words, boot to a WinPE, and run Tweaking on the offline Windows. Certain tweaks and such would be impossible, but I think that registry tweaks and unhiding of files would still be quite possible. I think that would be such a massive change in the program's design that it would just about require an entirely separate program.

Thanks, love this tool, I plan on contributing more ideas in the future :D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 02:54:13 AM by Virucyde »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
Re: AIO Windows Repair - Feature Tweak: Show Desktop Icons
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 02:41:26 PM »
In the option to unhide non-system files and such hidden by viruses, I recently encountered a problem where the desktop remained hidden, and eventually found that the virus had unchecked the setting "Show Desktop Icons" that you can find when you right-click the desktop and go under View.

I figure it shouldn't add anything at all to the procedure to simply verify that that option is checked, since virtually no one uses it off.

I actually know a lot of people who have them off, my wife included. But I can also see how a common user who doesnt even know how to turn them off wouldnt know to check that.

So the question is what would be the best way to add it? Do I have it just set it no matter what and any advance user who had them off can turn them right back off. Or do I add an option to simply let the user know that they are turned off? But we all know how people never read lol.

But I am starting to think that turning it back on by setting that one regkey should be part of it and can easily be turn off again by users since they know how.

I was going to request a sort of error reporting that would allow me to see what errors were fixed by Tweaking to get an idea of what the damage was, but I saw the post from another user about making a scanner, and I assume that scanning the registry values before modifying them would add substantially to the scan time. That being said, I'd like to add a second vote for this kind of major feature, knowing what exactly Tweaking fixed, even if you can't report EVERYTHING, would be a great addition.

That is the hard part. All the repairs are done through bat files and commands through windows. So most of the work is done there. The repair info files tells what they are going to do, and I thought about having the program save the bat files so users can look at them, but then I was worried others will just still my work and put it in their own programs lol

Most of the repairs are reg settings. 90% of errors in windows are all in the registry. I use a tool from MS to set the permissions and I can have it log every key it touches but it would be a huge log file. There are on most systems over 1 million registry keys.

So for right now I have the logs record errors only.

On the subject of dream features that would be hard to implement, I'd love it if Tweaking were capable of performing its changes on an Offline Windows, in other words, boot to a WinPE, and run Tweaking on the offline Windows. Certain tweaks and such would be impossible, but I think that registry tweaks and unhiding of files would still be quite possible. I think that would be such a massive change in the program's design that it would just about require an entirely separate program.

I think it is a great idea as well but a lot of the repairs wouldn't work correctly because they have to work with the windows registry, such as registering files and such. The program is written in old school VB6 and so I have to see if I can get it to even run in WindowsPE and to see if the API's it uses are available in PE.

Some repairs I could make to work in it, such as when the program adds regkeys back and such, I can have it load the system registry so it could work with it, but again it would be limited.

If you have seen my advanced system tweaker program you will see I built a total add on system for it. I plan on doing a add on system for the windows repair as well this year :-)

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Virucyde

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 02:29:18 PM »
I actually know a lot of people who have them off, my wife included. But I can also see how a common user who doesnt even know how to turn them off wouldnt know to check that.

So the question is what would be the best way to add it? Do I have it just set it no matter what and any advance user who had them off can turn them right back off. Or do I add an option to simply let the user know that they are turned off? But we all know how people never read lol.

But I am starting to think that turning it back on by setting that one regkey should be part of it and can easily be turn off again by users since they know how.

I think that would be the best solution, since once you know it's there, it's a cinch to turn it back on. There are already several features in Tweaking that do that sort of thing, resetting settings that very well could be used by a normal user, such as the hosts file, DNS settings, etc.

That is the hard part. All the repairs are done through bat files and commands through windows. So most of the work is done there. The repair info files tells what they are going to do, and I thought about having the program save the bat files so users can look at them, but then I was worried others will just still my work and put it in their own programs lol

Most of the repairs are reg settings. 90% of errors in windows are all in the registry. I use a tool from MS to set the permissions and I can have it log every key it touches but it would be a huge log file. There are on most systems over 1 million registry keys.

So for right now I have the logs record errors only.

Yeah, that makes sense. I suppose the best of both worlds would be some graphical way of showing the errors and organizing the text file output so it's more available. Definitely a feature that can wait if there's anything else waiting.

I think it is a great idea as well but a lot of the repairs wouldn't work correctly because they have to work with the windows registry, such as registering files and such. The program is written in old school VB6 and so I have to see if I can get it to even run in WindowsPE and to see if the API's it uses are available in PE.

Some repairs I could make to work in it, such as when the program adds regkeys back and such, I can have it load the system registry so it could work with it, but again it would be limited.

If you have seen my advanced system tweaker program you will see I built a total add on system for it. I plan on doing a add on system for the windows repair as well this year :-)

The only files necessary for VB6 apps to work in WinPE are Asycfilt.dll, Comcat.dll, Msvbvm60.dll, Oleaut32.dll, Olepro32.dll, and Stdole2.tlb, and if you just drop them into the folder with the app it'll automatically grab em.

Users could do that for themselves, however, I thought a little more about the effectiveness of a WinPE-based Tweaking, and I realized that it could substantially reduce the time, since it would only require the tweaks be run once, instead of being required to run them on multiple accounts to ensure that they go through properly.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 05:24:48 PM »
The only files necessary for VB6 apps to work in WinPE are Asycfilt.dll, Comcat.dll, Msvbvm60.dll, Oleaut32.dll, Olepro32.dll, and Stdole2.tlb, and if you just drop them into the folder with the app it'll automatically grab em.

Nice, I added that to my notes for the future :-)

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com