Author Topic: The Program disturbs Typing  (Read 7000 times)

Offline markkislich

• View Profile
The Program disturbs Typing
« on: January 18, 2014, 11:43:18 pm »
1st of all thanks for the software, it has helped a lot.
One thing I find is it can take very long, and keeps interrupting my typing, so I generally stop the scanning/repairs.

Another thing is my computer still tends to slow to a crawl 1-3 x day. Could it be the internet browser? Or what else can I do?

Thanks,

Mark

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: The Program disturbs Typing
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 10:17:33 am »
I take it you mean my Windows Repair tool? You shouldn't really be trying to do anything while the repairs are running, the opening and closing of all those cmd windows wont let you get much work done lol. :wink:

But the repairs normally take less than 30 min on most machines, what repair seems to be taking so long on your system?

And when you say your computer slows to a crawl, can you give some more info? What feels slow? And when it gets slow how is your memory usage and such on the system?

Shane

Offline markkislich

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 04:04:33 am »
Yebbs the repair tool. It takes up to 11- hours to repair (all selected).
 :confused:
Well all I can tell you it ususally seems to slow down when Chrome is open with many windows, but it extends to the whole system (so offline as well).
All I can tell you is my memory space? It's not great but should be enough: I have about 9 gig free on the C drive, 33 on E and 300 on my external drive.

That's all I know. But it slows down/nearly freezes like 1-3x/day, drives me nuts! I guess the best solution is buy a MAC, like, NOW!

Thanks,

Mark

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 12:18:50 pm »
11 hours? Can you post the main log so I can see the start and stop time of each repair, i want to know which one is taking so long.

Also Windows can be fast, you just have to see how many things you have running that might be using up resources, this is true even on a MAC :-)

Open the task manager and at the bottom it will say how many processes are running, what is that number?

Shane

Offline markkislich

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 08:52:52 am »
Hi Shane,
Processes: 65-68. Physical Memory: 90%

Thanks!

Mark

PS: This is costing my last nerves, and UNBELIEVABLE amounts of time... the machine is 7 years old, maybe I should do what I really want to do with it...I'll spare you the details...and get a new one!
DO you think it can be salvaged?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 10:15:20 am »
Ok I found what took so long.

First the reset file permissions, when you did the other drives besides C:\ you have a LOT of folders, so those took some time.

But the part that I found the strangest is the one repair that took over 2 hours! And it was just deleting temp files!

13 - Remove Temp Files
   Start (19.1.2014 05:27:35)
   Running Repair Under System Account
   Done (19.1.2014 07:33:30)

The delete temp files is a very easy and fast repair. It is one line of code that uses the built in delete command for all files under the temp folder. No way it should have taken two hours, UNLESS something was continuing to add files back into the temp folder. Viruses will do this a lot, when you delete one part of it another part recreates it.

So the repair was deleting files while something kept adding them back, and thus how a normally 10 sec repair took over 2 hours.

So I think the best thing to do is to run some scans first.

Have you run malwarebytes anti root kit tool or combofix.exe yet?

Shane