Author Topic: AIO Repair Reset File Permissions  (Read 20193 times)

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
AIO Repair Reset File Permissions
« on: February 06, 2014, 12:48:55 am »
Hi Shane my computer seems to be getting stuck on this again.

I have set the CMD settings to Max and High in AIO.

The machine is low powered but i have another laptop that is the same power and goes through with no issues.

Thank you

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: AIO Repair Reset File Permissions
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 09:59:06 am »
The code hasnt changed for it and it should be skipping folders and files with symbolic links.

Did you try the new 2.2.1 version? And can you tell what path it is getting stuck at?

Shane

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 09:16:47 pm »
The code hasnt changed for it and it should be skipping folders and files with symbolic links.

Did you try the new 2.2.1 version? And can you tell what path it is getting stuck at?

Shane

Yes i tried the 2.2.1 version and it went through fine, but then the computer started to have problems so ran it again and got stuck.

It was number 2 sorry didn't see exactly.

Would you like me to re-run again to give more info?

Thank you

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 11:17:26 am »
Yes, try to see what folder it is getting stuck at and if the logs show anything.

Shane

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 04:11:04 pm »
Hi Shane thank you

Re ran AIO and changed the path of the log file to desktop i now have lost two files (the log files replaced their position on the desktop) i had them on the Desktop (notepad) how can i get these back, tried System Restore, Search but no luck?

With AIO it slows up around the Internet Explorer then virtually stops at MMC Snaplns.

Thank you
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 12:38:24 pm by Oscar »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 11:21:23 am »
The program remove empty and old log files, make sure to always have the log files in a sub folder.

Take a screen shot fo the cmd.exe window when it gets stuck. The program uses s MS security tool to change the permissions and it is ran from a cmd.exe Window. I also have the tool set to ignore symbolic links, so I want to try and find out what and why it is getting what seems to be stuck in a loop.

Shane

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 12:51:11 am »
The program remove empty and old log files, make sure to always have the log files in a sub folder.

Hi Shane the 2 x missing files are my own personal files is there anyway of getting them back? They were also Notepad.
It was like the log files replaced my own personal files.

Take a screen shot fo the cmd.exe window when it gets stuck. The program uses s MS security tool to change the permissions and it is ran from a cmd.exe Window. I also have the tool set to ignore symbolic links, so I want to try and find out what and why it is getting what seems to be stuck in a loop.

I have attached three screenshots going from very slow to stuck.

I couldn't screenshot the cmd.

Thank you

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 11:12:36 am »
It doesn't look like it is getting stuck. The hkey local machine is the biggest part of the registry and will take a while. I can see the system is low on memory and the last done regkey shows it is changing.

The program is accessing the registry file on the drive itself and if your low on memory then a lot of the memory is getting pushed to the page file which is also on the drive and will really slow things up.

It is possible that it didnt get stuck in a loop but instead just got slowed down to a crawl.

Shane

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 10:27:18 pm »
It doesn't look like it is getting stuck. The hkey local machine is the biggest part of the registry and will take a while. I can see the system is low on memory and the last done regkey shows it is changing.

It does after awhile bit further on.

The program is accessing the registry file on the drive itself and if your low on memory then a lot of the memory is getting pushed to the page file which is also on the drive and will really slow things up.

I will try it on the other laptop that it runs straight through and is bout the same memory.

It is possible that it didnt get stuck in a loop but instead just got slowed down to a crawl.

It does get stuck after awhile, left it for 2 hours and had moved approx  500 files but then gets even slower to a point it could leave it over night and still going, though moved slightly.

The 2 x missing files are my own personal files is there anyway of getting them back? They were also Notepad.
It was like the log files replaced my own personal files.

Thanks again

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 09:20:09 am »
I dont think you can get the 2 txt files back. The program removes any txt file that is less than 3 bytes in size so users dont have a ton of empty logs. Thats why it should always be in a sub folder.

I am thinking about changing the way it stores logs to auto make a sub folder with the date and time and every time you run it a new folder is made instead of the last log files be over written.

On the permissions, if it was stuck in a loop then the number of files it was changing would climb and keep growing at normal speed because it would be in a loop and never stop. What you have described is it slowing down to a crawl.

The next thing I would do is do a bad sector check on the drive. If the permissions is trying to access files that happen to be on a bad sector then it would bring it down to a crawl as well.

Shane

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 10:28:59 pm »
I dont think you can get the 2 txt files back. The program removes any txt file that is less than 3 bytes in size so users dont have a ton of empty logs. Thats why it should always be in a sub folder.

I am thinking about changing the way it stores logs to auto make a sub folder with the date and time and every time you run it a new folder is made instead of the last log files be over written.

That would be great.

On the permissions, if it was stuck in a loop then the number of files it was changing would climb and keep growing at normal speed because it would be in a loop and never stop. What you have described is it slowing down to a crawl.

Crawl is a good word.

The next thing I would do is do a bad sector check on the drive. If the permissions is trying to access files that happen to be on a bad sector then it would bring it down to a crawl as well.

I have run  Check Disk and System File Check. Is there another some other tool to find bad sectors?

Thanks again

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 11:14:47 pm »
I have run  Check Disk and System File Check. Is there another some other tool to find bad sectors?

Thanks again

:smiley: http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,583.msg3958.html#msg3958  :shy:

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 10:53:21 pm »

Thanks again

:smiley: http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,583.msg3958.html#msg3958  :shy:

Thanks for that any particular ones to run?

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 10:57:12 pm »

Hi Shane

Crawl is a good word.

Ran the latest version and exactly the same.

Thanks again

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 08:26:48 am »
Open a cmd.exe window and put in

chkdsk c: /f /r

It will say the drive is in use and would you like to schedule it for next boot. Tell it yes and then restart the computer and it should do a chkdsk on the drive and it will take a while. If it doesnt try it again, for some reason it doesnt always take the first time.

Shane

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 10:40:17 pm »
Open a cmd.exe window and put in

chkdsk c: /f /r

It will say the drive is in use and would you like to schedule it for next boot. Tell it yes and then restart the computer and it should do a chkdsk on the drive and it will take a while. If it doesnt try it again, for some reason it doesnt always take the first time.

Shane

Thanks Shane that seemed to work and yes it took alot longer than normal.

I will keep you posted when i run the update next time.

Matter of interest with the cmd in XP does it fill the whole screen, it did with mine.

Can you give post the shutdown and restart text to enter into the cmd?

Thanks again

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 11:54:45 am »
When you reboot Windows runs the chkdsk before Windows is loaded and will reboot when it is done :-)

Shane

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 11:47:39 pm »
Hi Shane

I re-ran the last version again just to see how it would go and the problem came back.

Ran the update and it left it all night and was still on Reset File Permissions when i came back to it this morning.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 10:57:11 am »
I didnt change any of the repairs in the newest version, it was just design and interface changes. The repair file permissions hasn't been touched in the last few versions :-)

Just skip the file permissions repair on your system. You seem to run the repair tool a lot, are you always breaking your system?

Shane

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 10:34:28 pm »
Just skip the file permissions repair on your system. You seem to run the repair tool a lot, are you always breaking your system?

Thanks Shane

I ran again it to see if the repair would do it again.

I always run the new updated version.

For some reason when the old laptop (12 years) is not going well (speed) the AIO repair speeds it up.

Thanks again
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 10:51:36 pm by Oscar »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 08:05:47 am »
Just put out v2.5.0 last night where the file permissions are now done from just 1 bat file instead of one for each folder.

Also have you tried using my Simple System Tweaker instead to try and get performance out of it?

Shane

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 10:50:48 pm »
Just put out v2.5.0 last night where the file permissions are now done from just 1 bat file instead of one for each folder.

Hi Shane thank you.

Tried the update and did the same.

Also have you tried using my Simple System Tweaker instead to try and get performance out of it?

Yes i run it after each AIO update.

Thanks again

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2014, 07:55:24 am »
All I can say is for now skip the file permissions repair. You only really need to run that if permissions is a problem, otherwise it doesnt have any other effect :wink:

Shane

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2014, 10:41:25 pm »
All I can say is for now skip the file permissions repair. You only really need to run that if permissions is a problem, otherwise it doesnt have any other effect :wink:

Hi Shane thank you

It seems to make everything smoother when the computer allows the permissions to run.

Matter of interest what does the permissions do?

Thanks again

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2014, 10:05:48 am »
The permissions just have to do with the file system and who and what can have access to it. So unless you have something changing the permissions you dont need to run it all the time as the permissions dont change unless something changes them :wink:

Shane