Author Topic: Performance improved after WinRep, but still some issues  (Read 7358 times)

Offline xakarii

• View Profile
Performance improved after WinRep, but still some issues
« on: February 14, 2014, 10:40:12 am »
So I downloaded Windows Repair recently and ran the file check, bad sector check, and the fix, and I noticed a dramatic improvement in performance.  Extremely glad I tried this out.

Only thing is after I've been using my computer a while it seems like it will occasionally revert to creeping along at a snails pace again.  Restarting fixes it temporarily.  I'm going to run a virus scan later with MSE and defrag when I go to bed tonight, but I was wondering if anyone here has any tips on improving performance on a Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2.

Details: Genuine Intel(R) CPU      2140 @ 1.6 GHz   RAM 1.0 GB   32 bit OS

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Performance improved after WinRep, but still some issues
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 12:01:58 pm »
It sounds like you might have a program with a memory leak and it is causing Windows to use the page file more and more, which is located on your hard drive and is very slow when that happens.

Have you taken a look at the memory usage and all that in Windows when things start to slow down? The free version of my CleanMem program from my other site might help keep things running smooth if there is a memory leak in one of your programs :wink:

http://www.pcwintech.com/cleanmem

Again just try the free version, no need to buy the pro, the pro is just extra features. The core of the program is what you want and I made sure to keep that free :-)

Shane

Offline xakarii

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 09:16:07 pm »
I'll give it a go.  Thanks again.

Offline xakarii

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 11:14:08 am »
Hi again.  I installed cleanmem and ran it last night.  Seemed to make a big difference.  I had several programs open and was pushing the limit of my 1gb of ram, but I didn't experience any severe unresponsiveness as I had in the past which would make me give up and go do something else for a while.

Question though.  Do I need to run just the cleanmem settings controller or the mini-monitor or both for it to take effect?  I just opened the mini-monitor but it seems unresponsive or slow to start up, and the settings hasn't even appeared yet, and I opened them both about ten minutes ago or more.

On a separate issue-  Do I really need Mcafee if I have Microsoft Security Essentials?  I imagine it might just be an extra burden on my memory.  I already run at about 50% mem capacity with just windows and MSE active.

Update:  A couple minutes after I posted this minmonitor finished opening.  I'm going to try to run the settings again now.  I'm at 60% according to minmon, and the only applications I have open are Google Chrome and MUSHclient (text based online game client).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:19:33 am by xakarii »

Offline xakarii

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 11:46:04 am »
So this looks weird.  When I opened the memclean settings and clicked on task scheduler it opened and I got this popup:

Task Scheduler

The task image is corrupt or has been tampered with.User_Feed_Synchronization-{DA59DA69-57AA-47D3-8A4E-0A47FD866315}

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 02:12:15 pm »
Get rid of McAfee I can stand them lol

MS will be fine for you.

Cleanmem runs every 15 min from the task scheduler, you can change that if you like or you can run it from the mini monitor.

And on the error User_Feed_Synchronization-{DA59DA69-57AA-47D3-8A4E-0A47FD866315} just delete that task :wink:

Shane