Author Topic: Love Your All-In-One Solution, A Question  (Read 8251 times)

Offline McKealty

• View Profile
Love Your All-In-One Solution, A Question
« on: February 11, 2014, 07:09:12 pm »
After a recent loss of a large portion of our IT, a lot of the computer cleaning has been given to me.  I've usually taken my time, running an antivirus, then using your solution to (I think) remove common registry entry points for malware.

However, I'd like to know for sure if this is, in fact, what your solution does.

Let's say a browser redirect or something has been removed, I would check in HKey_Currenet_User > Software &
HKey_Local_Machine > Software to ensure their entries have been removed.

If it doesn't (and believe me your program does an awesome amount of work anyway!) does anyone know a good list of registry points I would go and delete by hand?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Love Your All-In-One Solution, A Question
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 09:16:09 am »
The tools I normally run are

malwarebytes anti rootkit
tdsskiller
and combofix as a last resort.

I only run my Windows Repair tool after a system has been cleaned from an infection and something is broken :-)

Shane

Offline McKealty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 01:42:59 pm »
Thanks!

I've heard tdsskiller mentioned a few times while I was watching/talking to the T1 guys.  I played with it a few times, what am I looking for in its results?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 01:48:58 pm »
Just see if it finds anything and if it does have it clean it up :-)

Shane

Offline McKealty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 08:00:40 am »
Hi Shane,

I was hoping you could outline a strategy along with the tools that you use, as you mentioned, to clean the computer first before using Tweaking.com's tool.

It would mean a lot, as I think I'm using some tool that are either unneeded or redundant.  I need to streamline this process because, like I mentioned, this has all been delegated to me after some downsizing.

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 01:08:08 pm »
For me, after fixing so many computers over the years I have been able to find infections manually most of the time.

But the tools I run are malwarebytes anti rootkit, tdsskiller and if the system still seems infected I use combofix as the last one.

Other techs and people run other tools, and that is ok. While one program might catch something now they may not catch something new down the road. Now scanner I have ever seen has ever been 100%. So running a few different ones is a good idea to cover all the bases :-)

I have also lately been seeing some new types of infections not getting flagged by anything. I have had users call me saying they have pop ups happening and when I check the system it is clean, and the last 3 times it has turned out to be add ins in firefox or chrome or IE that a crap program installed that was doing it. So instead of it being a program on the system causing the pop ups it was a plug in in the browsers. I removed them and the pop ups went away.

So the game is always changing, while one technique might work now doesn't mean it will work down the road, so you have to learn how to keep your eyes open to things that dont appear normal.

But a lot of the tools out there are meant to help with this. But they are only as good as their current builds are. While a program may rock now doesnt it mean it will rock later and it goes back and fourth like that. :-)

But once I know a feel fine that a system is clean but things are broken I then run my Windows Repair tool. And as a last case I do a reinstall of Windows instead of wasting time if a system is to far gone.

Shane