Author Topic: Ran Win Repair on My Win 8.1, Access & Win Update Issues  (Read 9475 times)

Offline emapinc

• View Profile
Ran Win Repair on My Win 8.1, Access & Win Update Issues
« on: February 20, 2014, 05:11:08 pm »
Hi,
   I've used Repair and Simple Tweak in the past with no issues. Candidly, the Tweaker has been handy but can't really comment on Repair as I have run more as a 'just in case' shotgun effect. Very impressed with feedback in forums so I'm giving this a shot, I've spent way too much time on this already.

I have a Dell 8300, 64 bit, 8 GB RAM. Also use a Flash for ReadyBoost. Started w Win 7 but upgraded to 8 and recently 8.1. I ran the latest version of Win Repair All about 2 weeks or so ago after updating to Win 8.1. Didn't notice until a few days ago -- no Win Updates. Bottom line is BITS is not (and won't) run. In addition, I'm running into a lot of Access Denied messages as I've tried to solve this from Windows Support forum, etc. with their suggestions to fix -- from re-registering the qmr dll to permissions in registry to security on folders/files.

I'm a single user and the Admin. Not sure if related but I am now losing my Broadcom Gig LAN card, system defaulting to Wi Fi (only way to get back is uninstall and reboot -- eventually I lose it again and I repeat). Also, I am using Bitdefender which I installed after 8.1 upgrade but before Win Repair. Just in case, I have run Malware, Terminator, Spybot, Super Anti Spy and Hijack This. No hits. And yes, I do have defender turned off. I'm confused over Win Firewall as I am big user of Ccleaner and constantly get invalid firewall rule registry entries. Since I trust Ccleaner, I do clean but they usually come back sooner or later.

I'm just trying to get you right info and maybe just confusing situation. All I know is that after running Repair, I have had Access Denied issues and BITS not running and can't get it to run. I'm not a computer genius but I know my way around. Unfortunately, I need to be a genius now.

Can You Help? Not blaming or passing buck or anything. Just need some help -- I've spent hours trying to fix.

Sgt Maj E Pacynski, USMC -- retired (34 + years and wish I was back!)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Ran Win Repair on My Win 8.1, Access & Win Update Issues
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 12:04:20 pm »
My program simply puts the bits regkeys back in. In fact you can see the reg file it uses under the files folder with the program.

I have a seen a lot of rootkits that affect the bits service and it might be possible you have something that hasnt been detected yet. Not to mention those same infections mess with permissions as well.

Have you ran TDSSkiller.exe, combofix.exe and Malwarebytes Antiroot kit yet?

Shane

Offline emapinc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 02:02:16 pm »
Hi!
   Sorry, in hospital for lung surgery and just got out -- Thank Goodness. Had Neck Cancer and TB in the lung (Thanks Doc, No shit I got it overseas) -- what a bitch.

At any rate, I will use those tools you mentioned -- I've used Malware with no positives --  and go from there. In another of your threads, I noticed the DISM command you're letting people know about. I ran that and sfc / scannow. I get source file error 0x800f0906 with DISM and sfc only goes to 14% 'found corrupt files' and crashes. So i'll try TDS, etc and see where I'm at. Hopefully can fix because I don't trust my restore points and reg backups anymore. Been going on too long, got distracted w docs, shit happens.

Thanks

Offline emapinc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 05:32:50 pm »
Hi Shane,
       I ran TDS, Combo won't run in compatibility mode(have to look into, I'm on 8.1), Spybot, Spyware, Anti-Spyware, Housecall, Emisoft and a few more. No hits.

Is there a post you've worked recently that addresses Win Update -- BITS. The DISM & SFC I guess I can work on later or maybe its all related. Do not know how this thing -- PC -- got junked up. Haven't had a Win Update in a long while. On the flip side, browers work, Itunes, VLC, my fireball / escient AV comm pgm, etc.

Suggestion? If its not the Repair tool and not a virus then ???

Thanks

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 10:01:04 am »
See if my new version of my repair tool has any better luck, v2.5.1

When you run it try to close down as many background programs as you can. The less things running in the background the less likely something will get in the way. :wink:

Shane

Offline emapinc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 02:47:53 pm »
Thanks -- i'll give it a shot tonight!

Offline emapinc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 07:42:01 pm »
Thanks for the time. Appreciate it.

I'll be going back to Win 8 when I have a little time. I have spent a lot of time on the errors and could have have saved most of it just by reloading on Win 8. A solid ISO baCKUP OF 8.1 Would have been nice but my CD/DVD is now having security issues. When I go into services and try to find dependicies and get access denied and nobody can help its bail time. Most of stuff I ran into was easy when it was visa, 7 and .... 8?

I am now convinced that no one is ready for 8.1, including microsoft. Tools, trouble shooters and just basic knowlegde -- nobody really knows. You're really screwed if you have 64 bit, which I do have.

Re-load Win 8 and stick with the big boys that have worked for me in past. The Ccleaner- Piriform tools, Wise Care, the Slim* guys and comodo. Oh and Sys Internals and Nirsoft stuff always seems to work. A few others also but want to sit down in front of computer to use it, not try to fix it.

Thanks again and good luck to you and yours.

Sgt Maj Pacynski

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 11:40:28 am »
What I am seeing with 8.1 is when people upgrade from 8 to 8.1 is when a lot of things break. Upgrades have always been a bad idea. And 8.1 wasnt just a system update, you actually download the whole iso file and install over 8.0.

Thats why if someone wants 8.1 it is a really good idea, if you are installing fresh, to get your hands on a 8.1 iso instead and forget the upgrade path they have you do.

MS has admitted 8 is doing worse than vista in terms of adaption growth and supposedly they are going to try and win Windows XP users over with Windows 9 due out next year. Only time will tell :-)

Shane