Author Topic: Windows Explorer Stops Working  (Read 14591 times)

Offline MrGED05

• View Profile
Windows Explorer Stops Working
« on: March 01, 2014, 01:06:42 pm »
I've gone through each of the steps Tweaking.com Windows Repair V2.4.2.  I devoted an entire Saturday to getting my blasted Windows Vista 32 bit desktop to function properly.  Windows Explorer will function when looking for a file, deleting and opening a file.  Sadly, anytime I use "rightclick", "Cut" and then attempt "rightclick" to get to "Paste" it quits.  A popup button notifies me that it has quit working and that it will restart but it does not.   

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Explorer Stops Working
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 10:55:38 am »
When that happens that is normally caused by a dll file that is hooked to the right click menu and is causing the problem.

Back in XP days in order to have a right click option on the right click menu a programmer had to make a dll to hook into it. This ended up causing a lot of problems as badly written dll files would cause explorer.exe to crash. And starting with vista and newer MS finally gave a way to have right click menus from the registry instead of a dll file.

So from the sounds of it you have a program that installed and hooked a dll file to the right click menu.

So the trick is to remove and cleanup the right click menu and maybe even try to find out exactly which dll file is causing the problem. See if this page helps you any
http://www.guidingtech.com/144/how-to-edit-remove-unwanted-applications-from-right-click-menu-in-windows/

Shane

Offline MrGED05

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 12:06:22 pm »
Shane,
   Thank you.  I'm going to give it a try with Regedit (which I greatly fear using).  I'm hoping I'll find something obviously hooked to "right click" that doesn't belong there.  I'll let you know if my computer survives me messing around in the registry.
    Gary

Offline MrGED05

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 07:32:13 pm »
Well Sir,
    I carefully followed the Regedit instructions to which you directed me.  I added the preface "-" to each entry that I could reasonably think might be responsible for linking an unwanted dll to the "right click" mouse key.  That didn't solve my problem.  I can still highlight, "right click", "copy" but when I get to the target folder any attempt to "right click" or "paste" causes Windows Explorer to stop working and a popup appears that Windows explorer is re-starting but it never does.
    Have you any other suggestions?  Should I try adding the "-" preface to every entry located in those registry folders?  I fear that doing so will make all of the "right click" options disappear.
    Thank you,
    Gary

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 07:39:09 pm »
Lets try this.

Grab this
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

When you run it go to the top and click on the view dlls button (It is in the middle below the menu)

When you do that a window will open down below. Now click on explorer.exe in the top list. You will now see all files hooked to explorer.exe :-D

You will see a lot but at least you will be able to see what is hooked to it. Go to file and save as and it will save that info to a txt file. You can post it and I can also look at it and see if I see anything that stands out. :wink:

Shane

Offline MrGED05

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 11:40:26 am »
Well, one thing is for sure.  I'm having quite the little adventure here, rooting around in attributes of this system I didn't even know existed.
     I'm have some small hope that I can get this file through this server and to your expert eyes.
    Thanks,
    Gary

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 01:10:08 pm »
You did the wrong one lol

You clicked on RtHDVCpl.exe instead of explorer.exe :wink:

Shane

Offline MrGED05

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 11:51:46 pm »
Actually, I'm not completely incompetent.  Really.  This time I found the section within process explorer you suggested.  It is attached to this reply.
    Still having fun, yes I am.
    Thanks Shane,
     Gary

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 12:26:20 am »
MrGED05 do you have Spybot 2 installed?

You can try to Disable Spybot 2's Explorer integration by doing this if you have Spybot 2 installed!

You do not need to uninstall Spybot 2, you can simply disable the feature that is causing the issue.
Run the Start Center, switch to advanced mode and start Settings.
Now open the tab "System Integration“. Here you can uninstall "Windows Explorer integration“.
Click "Apply“ and "OK“ afterwards. Settings can also be launched via SDTray (the small Spybot 2 icon beside your systems clock in the taskbar).

Here is som more info: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?67183-Spybot-2-causing-explorer-exe-crash

Tomas
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 12:27:54 am by Tomas_Sweden »
Dell Laptop XPS L501X Intel i5-560M(2.66GHz), Win 7 Home Prem(SP1) 64 Bit, 4 GB RAM. Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256 GB.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 07:59:03 am »
One of the things that stands out is Norton.

Try this, boot into safe mode and I want you to try it and see if explorer crashes there or only when your booted up like normal. :wink:

Shane

Offline MrGED05

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 11:18:46 am »
Thomas:  I installed Spybot S&D 2.2 in an attempt to cure the problem.  Also this computer runs Vista, to disable Spybot SD, I used Control Panel, Processes, Stop Process.  It didn't cure the problem but it was still a helpful hint for which I'm thankful.  Maybe I should use Revo Uninstaller Pro to remove Spybot?

Shane:  In safe mode, the right click function is fully operational.  Hmmmm......

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 11:35:00 am »
It is possible it is norton. It is attached to it and it doesnt run in safe mode.

I am not a fan of norton at all. As a test uninstall norton and reboot and then try it and see if it is any better :wink:

Shane

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 12:00:36 pm »
MrGED05 Did you click on "uninstall" in windows explorer integration (32-bit) like in the picture?

Tomas
Dell Laptop XPS L501X Intel i5-560M(2.66GHz), Win 7 Home Prem(SP1) 64 Bit, 4 GB RAM. Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256 GB.

Offline MrGED05

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 12:55:10 pm »
Thank you both.  Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.  I uninstalled Norton and used the hint to uninstall the portion of Spybot.  Once again I can move large numbers of files!
    "Boo, hiss" at both programs.  We poor users would have no way to know that our "protection" programs can be the cause of operating system problems if not for wonderful experts like you two. 
    "Hurrah" to Tweaking.com and its forum members.  I have dozens and dozens of clients (I'm a registered investment advisor) who sometimes call me with computer problems - they know I've been building my own computers for over 25 years.  Many times, I've been able to help them.  The next time I'm befuddled, I know where to send them.
    You guys are wonderful, helpful and amazing people.  To extend this amout of assistance without direct compensation is remarkable.  A contribution will be made today!  My clients have generally not gone through three divorces, they have more money than I.  Their contributions will likely be a bit more generous than mine.
    I may be exceeding your tolerance for my questions but, now that Norton is deleted, what program do you like to replace it?
    Gary

Offline MrGED05

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 12:56:48 pm »
Hey,
    Where's a place within the forum at which I can make a contribution???

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 01:01:53 pm »
Personally I only use Microsoft Security Essentials. I only need and want a file antivirus. I have no need for a firewall (A router is a hardware based firewall) or any of the other bloat to make me feel protected.

No antivirus is perfect and so I refuse to pay for one lol. Not to mention MS has way less false positives than any other. Other techs or people will say you need something better, no you dont. But then again if your not behind a router and wide open to the net then you will want firewall software, otherwise, since I am behind a router and I dont need to block any programs the windows firewall does fine.

I havent been infected in over 6 years.

There are a lot of free antiviruses out there, all of them will try to make money somehow, either by installing toolbars or trying to get you to install 3rd party apps or bug you to buy their upgraded versions. MS is the only one who doesnt do that.

But everyone has their fav. so if you do then stick with it. If you check http://www.av-comparatives.org/ you can get an idea of one you will want to try.

You will see Norton and a lot of the big names have a huge amount of false positives.

As for making a donation I have a link on the menu on the left on my main site tweaking.com :-)

Shane

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 11:04:27 pm »
Glad you fixed it!  ;D

I myself have had the same problem as you with explorer.exe crashes when I right-click and that time it was spybot which were the cause of the problem.

Tomas