Author Topic: Multiple Problems  (Read 10498 times)

Offline LynnBoyet

• View Profile
Multiple Problems
« on: March 26, 2014, 06:16:17 pm »
After install, lost sound (checked Windows Audio Devices - OK, varied vol sets, turned mute off/on, no help; HP Support Assistant keeps alerting me not working; keep getting messages that have no anti-virus (use AVG); unable to reset nor go back before install. Have new HP laptop Win 8.0

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 06:35:31 pm »
Installed what? My Windows Repair Program?

The no antivirus thing will fix it self shortly. That is WMI. When WMI is rebuilt the antivirus settings are refreshed in it. When AVG does an update, such as its virus defs, it will write itself back to the WMI and the security center will show it, include the hp support assistant.

As for sound, go to the control panel and open sound. There you will see the playback tab. Take a screen shot and post it for me so I can see what is set as the default device :-)

Shane

Offline LynnBoyet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 08:06:57 pm »
Yes, sorry, I installed your repair program through tweaking.com last Sunday; 3 days ago. (I have installed several top recommendations by Major Geeks; without a problem), I have uninstalled AVG and reinstalled. I still get warning flag that I have no anti-virus software. Still get popups that HP Support Assistant (HPSF.exe) stops working and must be restarted. I don't know how to print screen and send what appears in control panel, sound, playback. It has Speaker/HP with a grenn check mark by it. Just tried to rest and Restore - no luck. Can I simply uninstall this program to restore back the way it was? I just want my new computer to work again (bought it 10 days ago.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 08:15:15 pm »
My program doesnt run in the back ground, so uninstalling it wont do anything.

I run my program on a lot of Windows 8 machines and never seen the problem you are having, so something is different one your machine which is why things didnt work right.

So I want to find out what and get you fixed :-)

To do a screen shot you just hit the prtscn button on the keyboard, open paint, paste, then save it as a jpg and post it.

If you ope up the Windows security center what does it say about the antivirus?

And before you take a screen shot of the sound settings I asked for, make sure to right click in that list and put a check n show disable items. :wink:

Is this a laptop or tower?

Shane

Offline LynnBoyet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 08:51:14 pm »
OK, sorry but I don't know how to "open paint".
After entering Windows Security Center, I get a blank window with several tabs on top; File, Home, etc and down left side Desktop, etc. nothing in the window; I must need to know what tabs to press after window is open.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 08:58:52 pm »
Blank?

Ok, do this. It is 9 PM for me so I will be back on tomorrow.

I want you to open my windows repair tool, got to the start repairs tab, click start. On the next window select every repair.

But before you start them I want you to disable your antivrus and close as many programs as you can, this way there is less chance of a program getting in the way.

The repairs can take a while to run so let it run while you sleep if you like, you can have the program set to auto reboot.

Close any and all of the hp software as well. Then post back once the repairs finish and the system is rebooted and lets go from there :-)

I attached a screen shot of the repair window on my system so you can see.

Night!
Shane

Offline LynnBoyet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 10:43:07 am »
OK, ran your program for 4th time. See below.
Comments, history, possible conflicts:
As stated, I purchased this laptop/tablet Win8 computer about 11 days ago. I have used Major Geeks for past 15 years. Downloaded reliables: AVG, Advanced System Care, CCleaner, Defraggler, IOBIT Uninstaller, Malewarebytes Anti-Malware, Smart Defrag, Spreecy.
New downloads: Jet Clean and Kingsoft (Office).
All installed and worked fine.
Then I installed your software. I first noticed no sound, warning flags/windows of no anti-virus protection, HP Support Assistant having troubles.
Tried Restore and refresh without luck.System Restore error window says: System did not complete,,,  Details: A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error. Check for Application event log for Application event log for more information (0x80042302)
White flag w/red x at lower right corner of desktop; opens window stating: Virus Protection - Window Defender and AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition are both turned off,
Then I open AVG; it says I am protected.
Note: running your step 3 Option; at end of file check it states: Administion System File Check  - Windows Rescue Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.log
For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\ .log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios.
I have downloaded from HP the HP Recovery Manager but it ran all night without installing "swirling circle" remained on.
prt sc buton - nothing happens when it is depressed. I assume a window is supposed to open with a picture of the screen? then I could right-click to do paint, etc. Apparently this is not working also.

Currently, after running your program; still have no sound, anti-virus conflicting status reports, unable to use Restor or renew, built-in HP/Windows retore and maintenance programs do not work, prt sc button does not work.

I just want my computer back to a working condition. Hopefully you can see a conlict with one or more of the above to cause your program to corrupt the system.  HELP!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 11:01:06 am »
The know the guys at majorgeeks personally :-)

Microsoft support, HP and dell support all use my program when helping their customers. The problems you are having are not normal.

Note: running your step 3 Option; at end of file check it states: Administion System File Check  - Windows Rescue Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.log
For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\ .log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios.

My program doesn't replace any files on the system at all, and the SFC (System File Checker) at step 3 is a built in Windows tool that checks the files on the system for any problems. The fact that sfc is finding problems but is unable to fix them could explain why things of gone off the rails. My program wouldn't have caused those.

All my repair program does is register system files, restore some service registry keys and fix permissions. Thats why the problems you are having are not normal as other people dont have that happen to them.

Did you do a registry backup with my repair program at step 4? About 95% of the repairs in the program has to do with registry keys, so normally all you need is a registry backup, which if you did one with my program you would be able to restore the registry from before the repairs. :wink:

And I mean with the built in registry backup, not system restore.

Shane

Offline LynnBoyet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 12:24:41 pm »
I went to your progam; went to Registry Backup; clicked on Bacup Now; result was: ERRORS: 9/10 Registry Files Backed Up.
Rebooted - no change.
Additional info: I have run all of the cleaning programs talked about; Malwarebytes identifies a repeating item: HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer...
Other: Bad: (http//feed...
It says it is removed, but after reboot, I have run Malware 3 times and same problem is discovered

Is there a way to uninstall your program and/or restore before its install to find out if it has caused this?

Offline LynnBoyet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 12:33:11 pm »
Additional info:
Before running your program, I disabled AVG; but don't know how to stop/disable HP.
My desktop has a HP buuton that opens HP Utility Center; clicking on HP Support Assistant - nothing happens; clicking on HP Recovery Manager - window opens stating that HP Recovery Manager is already running.
HP software may be continually trying to recover the system which could cause a conflict with running your program

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 06:00:29 pm »
HP software may be continually trying to recover the system which could cause a conflict with running your program

That may be what happened.

A few things, first on the registry backup
I went to your progam; went to Registry Backup; clicked on Bacup Now; result was: ERRORS: 9/10 Registry Files Backed Up.

You dont click backup, you click restore, and on the restore tab you can see a drop down list of the backups it has made, see if you have one from when you first started.

Additional info: I have run all of the cleaning programs talked about; Malwarebytes identifies a repeating item: HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer...
Other: Bad: (http//feed...
It says it is removed, but after reboot, I have run Malware 3 times and same problem is discovered

Your system may have an infection your scanners are not picking up, to cover all bases run both of these programs

malwarebytes anti rootkit
http://www.malwarebytes.org/antirootkit/

And then Combofix, actually never mind on combofix, they havent updated it to work on 8.1 yet. :wink:

Shane