Author Topic: Access Denied  (Read 15504 times)

Offline SandyG

• View Profile
Access Denied
« on: April 25, 2014, 10:16:40 am »
Not sure what is going on all of a sudden on my computer.  Running Windows Vista.  I wanted to check a couple of files.  I went into Windows Explorer.  When I click on the C Drive, Users, My Folder, whenever I try to access any folders within my folder it says Access Denied.  I can't see what is in my folders.  Any idea why?  Have never had that happen before.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Access Denied
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 10:21:46 am »
There are some folders you will get that, those are the ones with the shortcuts on them, but the other folders should be just fine.

Can you post a screen shot of the folder path and the error?

Shane

Offline SandyG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 05:50:12 pm »
Attached is the screen shot of what is going on with my computer.  Those folders I believe used to have names under them and no longer do.  I did use your tweaking program on my computer.  Haven't been into the issues I was having yet, but liked what it seemed to do.  Will know more in a bit.  Also, when I loaded your program it said there was a newer version, I clicked yes to go to the download site.  There really wasn't a download there.  Finally I got to the spot where there are a lot of download options.  I downloaded from the main site the full version but it still says there is a newer version.  Not sure how to get the newer version.  In any event, here is the screen shot you requested.  I should always have access to the My Pictures folder.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 08:22:09 pm »
Does running WR with the box "Reset File Permissions" solve the problem ?

Offline SandyG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 08:31:40 pm »
Sorry Willy not sure what you mean by WR and File Permissions Box.  Not sure where to find all of this.  Can you give me directions?

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 11:24:22 pm »
Sometime permissions of files are messed up. Download Tweaking's Windows Repair All In One (WR)(http://www.tweaking.com ) and follow the instructions. Make sure you - at least - tick the box "Reset File Permissions" in the main repair screen.

Offline SandyG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 08:45:13 am »
Ran tweaking with File Permissions checked and it made no difference.  I still get the same error Access Denied message.  I don't think I'm going to be able to solve this issue.  Fortunately, all of my files are stored on an external hard drive so I don't really need to access these folders.  I don't think I had anything in them.

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 10:07:35 am »
Did you upgrade from windows xp to windows vista? Or did you transferred files from windows xp to windows vista?

Tomas
Dell Laptop XPS L501X Intel i5-560M(2.66GHz), Win 7 Home Prem(SP1) 64 Bit, 4 GB RAM. Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256 GB.

Offline SandyG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 10:26:43 am »
I didn't do any upgrades.  Started with Vista and this is the original setup I had.  Also, after running tweaking when I open Outlook I now get a File Conversion Message (see attached file.  Then when I try to close that box I get a Word can't convert message (see attached file).

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 09:32:28 am »
Attached is the screen shot of what is going on with my computer.  Those folders I believe used to have names under them and no longer do.  I did use your tweaking program on my computer.  Haven't been into the issues I was having yet, but liked what it seemed to do.  Will know more in a bit.  Also, when I loaded your program it said there was a newer version, I clicked yes to go to the download site.  There really wasn't a download there.  Finally I got to the spot where there are a lot of download options.  I downloaded from the main site the full version but it still says there is a newer version.  Not sure how to get the newer version.  In any event, here is the screen shot you requested.  I should always have access to the My Pictures folder.

That is a normal error. In vista and newer MS changed the folders. It is no longer called "My Pictures" it is just called "Pictures"

The shortcuts you see there are just for old program compatibility and if you try to open my documents or my pictures you will get access denied. Instead you open "Documents" or "Pictures" :wink:

I didn't do any upgrades.  Started with Vista and this is the original setup I had.  Also, after running tweaking when I open Outlook I now get a File Conversion Message (see attached file.  Then when I try to close that box I get a Word can't convert message (see attached file).

Odd you got that after the repairs since the windows repair doesnt target anything with MS office. What happens when you just choose the first option on the left "Windows (Default)"?

And for the picture with word, do you get that box every time you open word?

Shane

Offline SandyG

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 10:56:06 am »
This box comes up when I boot up my computer.  When I check Windows Default I get the same error and the Word opens up.  This doesn't happen when I open Word, it starts up with the computer booting up and when I try to close or get out the Access Denied box, I get the error message and it forces Word to open.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 10:58:40 am »
At startup?

That file shouldnt be opening at startup. Have you checked your startup folder to see if it is in there? If so remove it, and you can also use msconfig to see if you see it there. Remove it from startup.

Shane

Offline SandyG

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 11:07:58 am »
I'm sorry it is opening when I open Microsoft Outlook.  I did do msconfig and nothing is in the startup folder on this.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 11:13:26 am »
Just go ahead and remove the file, it should be at

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

Normally that folder should be empty. It pops up in outlook because outlook uses Word as the default editor :-)

Shane

Offline SandyG

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 11:41:38 am »
I don't have a roaming folder in my App Data.  I did go to the Microsoft Folder, the Word Folder and startup, and there is nothing in there.  It is empty. I went to the Outlook folder and deleted some folder called srs.  I still get the error message.  I search for the file it says as $wzrd10.dot and got zero results.  I searched for *.dot and got zero results.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 11:44:21 am »
You have a roaming folder, it is part of the profile. Make sure you have your system set to view hidden files because that .dot file is marked as hidden :-)

Shane

Offline SandyG

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 12:26:01 pm »
My system is set to show hidden files.  I did find the Roaming Folder, was in APPData not Applications Data.  Word startup folder is empty.  Outlook folder doesn't have such file in it.  Did a search for *.dot and got nothing.  Did a search for that file name ($wzrd10.dot) and got nothing.  There has to be some .dot files on the drive. I know when I set up Microsoft Office I put all things to run from Hard Drive.  I am going to see if my Microsoft disk will repair Office.  I can't think of anything else.  Can you?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 12:32:35 pm »
My system is set to show hidden files.  I did find the Roaming Folder, was in APPData not Applications Data.

Yeap, I never said Application data lol

Just go ahead and remove the file, it should be at

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

Normally that folder should be empty. It pops up in outlook because outlook uses Word as the default editor :-)

Odd it isn't in there, I checked for that error and a lot of people have had that problem with that version of office and getting rid of that file is the fix. And very odd that a search isnt pulling anything up as well unless the search isnt looking in all the folders.

Do you also have you system set to show hidden system files as well? maybe the file is just treated as a system file and so is extra hidden.

Shane

Offline SandyG

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 01:10:23 pm »
Yep, LOL, just assumed on the Application Data folder.  I found it and solved the problem.  I will close this thread out.  It was by digging in Word and Templates which told me where to find it.  c://.../Program Files/Office11/Startup.  Hope this helps for future reference.  Thaks for all your answers, persistence and help.  -Sandy

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 01:20:09 pm »
Good to hear you found it :-D

Shane