Author Topic: Router/Modem Question  (Read 10082 times)

Offline SandyG

• View Profile
Router/Modem Question
« on: April 29, 2014, 07:41:59 am »
I have been experiencing a freeze when I first open my browser on my wireless laptop.  It last for about 40-60 seconds.  Once it unfreezes, it runs fine.  This happens in both IE and Chrome.  When playing games on Facebook, it starts slowing down shortly after starting the game.  My computer seems slow when I have two tabs open.  I have eliminated all malware and pups.  No virus or malware of any kind of the computer.  In fact, it is pretty darn clean.  My friend's desktop downstairs in hardwired into the router.  She is experiencing the same slowdown I am.  I am pretty sure it is one of two things.  One, the modem is slower and hasn't been upgraded by Comcast.  I would think they would notify us if a new Modem is needed.  So I am inclined to think it could be the router.  The router is an older, probably 4 years or so, Lynksys.  I typed in the numbers to access the router so I could give you the type, and it says not found.  I used to be able to access the router through this URL.  Have you seen this type of problem associated with a router before?  Could my issues be the router or the modem?  Any thoughts and help would be appreciated.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Router/Modem Question
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 08:48:23 am »
It is possible it is the router, but when you say freezes do you mean the page is just taking a long time to load or the browser itself is frozen and you cant click any menus or anything till it is fully open?

Shane

Offline SandyG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 09:00:24 am »
The browser freezes and I can't do any menus. Sometimes I can get to other tabs.  I can work on other things on the computer though. Like I can view my email while waiting for the browser to unfreeze.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 09:14:19 am »
That wouldnt be caused by the router then. Slow pages loading yes, but not the browser actually freezing. Have you checked and removed all add ons and extensions? Those are almost always the reason for the freezing.

Shane

Offline SandyG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 09:18:06 am »
The only add on running is my Password manager.  I have nothing else running on the browser.  No add-ons or extensions. The fact that typing in the URL to access the router is making me think the router is too old and should be replaced.  A hassle doing that though to put all computers, printers, etc. onto a new router.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 09:22:06 am »
I wont count out the router, I work with routers all the time and have seen  lot of odd things with it. Normally freezing a browser isnt one of them because the router doesnt touch the browser, the browser just makes a connection request through Windows and then waits for a return.

But if something is going on causing that connection request to be abnormal then it could cause strange problems. One way to test is to try with the router out of the loop and see how it does. That will at least confirm if it is the router or not :wink:

Shane

Offline SandyG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 09:41:27 am »
I can plug the desktop into the modem instead of the router and do the test.  I'll try that.  It just kind of made sense to me that for the browser to connect to the internet, it must send it's signal to the router and that perhaps the router was slowing that signal down.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 09:44:07 am by SandyG »

Offline SandyG

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 09:16:17 am »
So I hard wired each computer to the modem and by-passed the router.  There seemed to be some noticeable speed increase.  Still a little slower, but I could notice enough of a difference.  Router has to be at least 4 years old and I'm assuming that something newer may help.  Because I can no longer access the router using the URL it uses, I kind of think there is no support and it is so outdated that it may need replacing.  I hate to invest in a new router if it isn't going to help.  Does anyone know the difference between a G and N network for the router?  I am not up on routers.  I currently have a Linksys 2.4 Ghz, 802.11 G Wireless-G router. 

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 09:26:51 am »
Wireless N is the newest wireless and has higher speeds.

This is the router I use at home, the v2 is suppose to be better which this one is :-0
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704177

Shane

Offline SandyG

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 09:32:02 am »
Thank you.  So you like the Wireless N?  Any computer and network will support Wireless N????  How difficult is it to get computers, printers, etc. to recognize the new router if you put one in?  Do you have to go to each wireless device and reconfigure?  I've never replaced a router before.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 09:33:11 am »
Wireless N only works with cards or devices that are wireless N as well. That router supports all the versions of Wireless :-)

Shane

Offline SandyG

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 03:34:54 pm »
So if I get a wireless N router, it will still work my devices even if they are not Wireless N compatible?  They just won't work as quickly as Wireless N would allow??? How do I tell if my devices support Wireless N?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 04:54:40 pm »
Yes they will all work with it, it just means the router will also let wireless devices that support N connect at the N speeds.

Even if you have a device that has wireless N that device can still hook up to older routers that dont support it as the device will support N and the ones before it :-)

Shane