Author Topic: Always Run as Admin Without Going Thru the Compatibiliy options  (Read 13234 times)

Offline madhouserevival

• View Profile
Forgive me if "Reset File Permissions" does the same thing. BTW Windows 8 REQUIRES you to install programs with Administrative privileges or they will NOT function properly (ran into this a dozen times last week alone!)

I mentioned this in a previous thread http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,1577.msg10177.html#msg10177 but maybe you got too busy to really delve into the idea. As most people know many programs just don't run correctly without running them with administrative privileges first, whether or not you are the system administrator! Games are notorious for this. Also, if you use the administrative cmd prompt as often as I do it gets old having to right click and choose run as administrator every single time (I'm OCD about saving time). Wouldn't it be nice if you could just right-click any program or shortcut and choose Always run as Administrator? Or choose multiple Shortcuts at once and do the same?

Instead we're stuck with right clicking a file, choosing properties, then choosing the compatibility tab, checking "Run this program as an administrator" then clicking okay. That's a lot of steps for something you need to do for a whole host of games.  In the case of the system command prompt (which I use very frequently I actually had to go into the registry to make it persistent: (sorry if the image is too big)

That's a lot of work for something that could be a simple right-click function like that of your wonderful Right-Click_Allow_Block_or_Remove-Windows_Firewall program. So hoping you can come up with an administrative tweak program that will work in the same way.

Again, being the system Administrator has no benefit concerning a lot of programs. Of course, a modern program shouldn't even need to be run as administrator in order to function correctly, but they often do, especially games, of which I play a LOT.

Whether or not you get this done, I appreciate you looking into it.  :smiley:

P.S. BTW Windows 8 REQUIRES you to install many programs using "Run as Administrator" or they will NOT function properly (ran into this a dozen times last week alone!).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 07:54:22 PM by madhouserevival »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
Re: Always Run as Admin Without Going Thru the Compatibiliy options
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 08:28:38 AM »
I see what you are requesting. Just like how I made adding programs to the firewall easy, to make a tool to have a program be set to run as administrator all the time as easy.

There are actually a few ways to do that. One way, which programs are suppose to do, is have a manifest file that tells windows to run the program as admin. You also have the registry location, which would be great if I made a tool like that, and then in Windows 8, when you try to turn the UAC off it isn't really off. The only way to force it completely off is with a regkey setting, but then it wont allow apps to install from the store. Which is fine on my system since I dont use the app store so I have UAC fully off.

You could do the registry settings via a bat file as well but most users wouldnt have a clue.

Let me take a look at that regkey location and see if there is anything about it that might make it not work, and if it looks good I will see what I can do about making a right click option like I did for the Windows firewall :-)

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline madhouserevival

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 02:03:18 PM »
You're very kind! That will make my day!

Yeah, I never ever use the Store either, so I would also like to know that registry tweak to really disable UAC in Windows 8. That's something I didn't know about. Anyway, I went and installed Windows 7 onto my primary drive and the Windows Experience Index is radically less than when I run Windows 8, even with your Advance Tweaker applied. 600+ settings is a lot to go thru LOL I dropped Windows 8 yesterday because it was misbehaving even after applying your Windows Repair AIO app. Think it has something to do with the fact that I accidentally upgraded to 8.1

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 02:26:22 PM »
Here you go :-)

You can even change the following registry key to disable UAC:

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Key: EbableLUA

Value data: 0

Shane

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 04:48:33 PM »
OK here you go :-)

I didnt have time to make a whole program for it, and the firewall program I made can only do 1 program at a time. I spent all of yesterday making it into a context menu dll so Windows would send all the paths to it at once instead of 1 by 1. Well it worked great, the problem is I program in VB6 which is 32 bit. And 32bit dll context menus wont load in 64bit Windows, so I wasted that day lol

So today I wanted a way to have it to where you could due multiple files at once. One trick that works for my add to firewall tool is to drop the exes in the send to folder, then you right click on multiple files go to send to and choose the exe and it works!

But again i didnt have time to write a program for it, so instead I made a killer .cmd file that will do the trick for you, and not only will it work I have it set to also ask for admin privladges in case a user has the UAC enabled so that the reg add commands will work :-D

I should put this file on the site lol

Anyways, extract the file from the zip I attched, then take that file and put it in the sendto folder which is located at

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

Then when you go and right click on any files and go to send to, then just choose that. Works very fast and if UAC is enabled it will ask for permissions to run. Just spent the last 4 hours writing and testing it, the writing part wasn't what took so long, it was the testing and pain in the butt way cmd works lol

Anyways I hope this helps with what you wanted, no it can not do folders but it can do multiple files at once. I tested it by doing 27 exes in my MS office folder.

Let me know what you think :wink:

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline madhouserevival

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 06:48:05 PM »
I love you.   :omg: :sleep: :wink: I will test this soon as I figure out why my dang asus board takes so long just to get into Bios or my OS selection (hate Asus, why did I buy from them again?). Worked fine when I bought 6 weeks ago. More problems for you solve! Ain't I grand? Don't worry, started a thread about it in the overclock forums.  :cheesy: Ok, I went ahead and tested it (couldn't wait). Works wonders. You ARE my hero!

Off to bed. I'm usually asleep right now (massive undiagnosed sleep disorder that even Adderall can't help for more than 2 hours).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 06:58:16 PM by madhouserevival »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 11:45:02 AM »
Glad it works and you like it :-)

The reason why it would have taken me longer to make a program to do it is a few reasons.

1. I have to add all the registry code into the program
2. Aside from that I would also need to put in checks in the program where is something is already set for a exe compatibility that it will add and not replace the registry key so that the other options that where already set stay.
3. Dealing with AV's flagging it as a false positive as what happens with every single new program.

After you use it a while and once I get more time I might make a exe of it, I could just make a page on the site with the file and what to do but then people will just rip off the script, but who cares lol

Have a good weekend :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline madhouserevival

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 03:24:48 PM »
This doesn't work on shortcuts to programs, apparently. It does work on the programs themselves. Is it supposed to be this way?

Thanks.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 11:58:52 AM »
Nope, it is limited to how the cmd works. When you drag or send a file to it the file itself is grabbed. So a shortcut is really a file with the extension .lnk

cmd.exe doesnt follow shortcut paths so it looks at the .lnk file itself.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline madhouserevival

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 12:11:34 PM »
Quick question. How many files is it able to handle at once? Thanks!

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 12:14:24 PM »
Not sure, I think it is limited the the character amount in all the files and their full paths. I think 2048 characters or more.

I was able to add 35 exes from the MS office folder and it had no trouble :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline madhouserevival

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 10:27:37 PM »
You should put that cmd file on your programs section. :) BTW tried installing in on another Windows 7 system and it's not showing up in the send to option. Worked in my other Windows 7 system.  :confused:

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 11:31:10 AM »
The send to option is just anything in that one folder, make sure it is in the right folder and for the current account you are logged in with, it only shows up for the user you put it under :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline madhouserevival

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 02:54:03 PM »
Back to Windows 8 (I had upgraded to 8.1 but it caused hardware problems so I restored 8.0 from an Acronis backup). Now all that happens with any program is thata blank cmd window appears, no text or anything and it stays open until I manually click  to close it. Same thing happens when I run your installer. I am baffled. Everything was really looking up until this.

I'm sure your AIO Windows Repair may fix this, just need to know which repair option you think I need to select.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 09:07:49 AM »
Make sure to do a registry backup with my Repair program first, then have it run all the repairs. If for any reason something happens where it gets worse you just restore the registry from the backup :-)

80. really sucks and 8.1 is getting better. What exactly was happening that made you go back? Windows doesnt cause hardware problems but some hardware can have trouble is drivers are not good. MS isnt giving out any more updates to 8.0 you really should be on 8.1 and work on having it function properly.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline prettyclaire82

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 09:45:44 AM »
I did update to 8.1. Basically all the Windows 8 Apps would close on startup, stuff like Maps and so on. And then even when i did the wsreset on windows store it would still crash on startup. No idea why it did what it did though. And i did a virus scan with malwarebytes antimalware, I own premium edition. I am also trying to find the best firewall software that is freeware, what do you reccommend?

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 09:48:17 AM »
I dont use any firewall software other than the one in Windows.

Your router is a hardware based firewall, so as long as your behind a router you will be fine. But if for some reason you need to block programs on the computer the comodo is a good one. But other than that I have no need for a firewall program unless I am wide open to the internet :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline madhouserevival

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 09:15:41 PM »
You AIO fixer wasn't able to fix the issue, so I rolled back to an even earlier backup of Windows and your cmd program runs but now it doesn't get added to the "send to" menu, even after I turned off UAC via your registry tweak. This is confusing because the version I had restored was from the day before I even started this thread.  I think bad luck follows everything I do.

Anyway.....

During the upgrade to Windows 8.1  it installed Realtek drivers for my onboard sound (I'd previously only used MS drivers for the sound, Realtek drivers worked fine I just chose to use MS instead, but I was like, "okay...."). Yet the Realtek drivers that 8.1 chose failed to accept that I even had a 5.1 system and only 2.0 sound was recognized. I even tried installing Realtek drivers of MY choice (which had worked in 8.0) and they still wouldn't work correctly in Window 8.1.  Apparently, and this is complained about on other forums, 8.1 is incompatible with Realtek sound drivers! I then went to a backup of the 8.0 MS drivers and they worked.

Additionally, 8.1 installed drivers for my Intel Network Card (I didn't ask, it just did it during the upgrade). Suddenly, the Intel software no longer recognized the card! The Intel Software contains the ability to team network cards and also has very thorough descriptions of the every Ethernet setting in the Advanced options GUI. The MS drivers do NOT. Again, Window 8.1 borked the capabiltiy of a piece of hardware.

I then began hitting bluescreens based on a "usb driver", though I forget the name of the error from Whocrashed. This was an error I had encountered before which I had fixed by installing a specific driver for one of my USB devices (suddenly I can't remember which one it was). 8.1 had, once again, replaced a perfectly working driver with one that caused problems.

Window 8.1 (being practically a different operating system) reset all of the settings I had carefully chosen for Window 8.0: UAC was once again running full tilt boogey, run as admin entries (there were a lot) in the registry were all gone, other settings had been reset, the list goes on and I was running out of energy trying to find out what had changed! It would be one thing if this was an install from scratch, but I already had my system customized the way I liked. Maybe when I do decide to start from scratch I'll go the 8.1 way. Rather wait for Windows 9! :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 09:17:57 PM by madhouserevival »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 09:04:29 AM »
Never had that happen with any of the 8.1 machines I have worked with and used, even my own system.

I wonder if something just went nuts on the upgrade from 8 to 8.1 which is a nightmare. Honestly try to get yours hands on a 8.1 install dvd instead of doing the upgrade path, it saves a ton of headaches.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline madhouserevival

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 12:31:51 PM »
My buddy, who has 4 GPU's (3 AMD, 1 Nvidia for Phsyx offload), 3 gigantic displays and what he thinks is the latest and fastest CPU spends a lot of time learning how things tick. He went to Windows 8 based on my recommendation, but then he also had a bad experience after switching to 8.1 recently and went back to 8.0.  What killed me was that the hotfixes for the mouse jitter in games caused by 8.1 was rejected as not being for "this version of Windows" when I tried installing them, even though MS didn't say anything about not being compatible with the standard version of Windows 8.1.

Guess I have to go hunting on Piratebay for an iso, Problem is all the versions I found are not my standard edition (and 8.0 based), which is the only version I have a genuine key for. In fact, the one just uploaded is from an apparent troll on Piratebay (you can tell when they have brand new accounts and upload a whole bunch of "major" torrents within an a single hour). Luckily, he included a link to Tomhardware has has an actual workaround LOL http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1849920/download-iso-version-windows.html I just hate to have to spend days going thru my customizations, reacquiring games and applications. But I'll do it just to get your cmd app working again! :tongue:

Edit: Reinstallled Windows 8. Your Cmd program wouldn't install. Upgraded to 8.1 your cmd program still wouldn't install.  I then, after 2 days of trying to figure this out, reread the post that contains it and noticed that I was supposed to place it in the sendto folder.  :teeth:  I really need new glasses!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 01:17:36 PM by madhouserevival »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2014, 06:03:15 PM »
Edit: Reinstallled Windows 8. Your Cmd program wouldn't install. Upgraded to 8.1 your cmd program still wouldn't install.  I then, after 2 days of trying to figure this out, reread the post that contains it and noticed that I was supposed to place it in the sendto folder.  :teeth:  I really need new glasses!

Sorry, I laughed pretty hard at this one  :tongue:

Shane

(About Shane)