Author Topic: Volume shadow copy service  (Read 8035 times)

Offline chris635

• View Profile
Volume shadow copy service
« on: May 04, 2014, 09:57:42 am »
I thought this service was supposed to shut down after inactivity?. The service is set to manual and it starts with windows. My back ups work fine and so does my registry back ups. I did a fresh install of windows 7. On my old install, it would shutdown after back ups were done. Which way is it supposed to be? I ran the windows repair program for it.

Chris
Physical Science Technician
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Volume shadow copy service
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 10:51:06 am »
Not sure, I know when my RB uses it that it opens and starts, then when the vss is done I tell it that it is finished.

I checked on my system and after I run RB using VSS the serve starts and looks like it stays running even though it isnt doing anything. Not using any CPU or much memory.

The description for the service says that once it is stopped program will no longer have access to the shadow copies. So it is possible it just stays running for a long while before it stops. The exe in the files folder of RB is what works with the VSS and there is no option in those to stop VSS :-)

Edit: I just checked and VSS just stopped itself after about 5 min of nothing using it. So my RB doesnt seem to affect it. Only thing I can think of is you might have something that is still accessing the shadow copies and so the server stays running. :wink:

Shane

Offline chris635

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 11:01:13 am »
after rechecking, it does shutdown, it takes hours though for it, to not minutes. The reason I found it is because I have the registry back up set to run at mid night every day. When I got up in the morning, just looking around I noticed it was running. So i ran the reg back program from the task scheduler ( Click on task and choose run) it would fail. So I open the program and ran it manually and ran fine. I deleted the schedule then reset it and I got the same problem. I then uninstalled the reg back up program, Opened windows repair all in one and set the schedule for reg back up from there and it works fine. So was there a hick up with the stand alone reg back up program which caused my vss to keep going (it still stays open for hours now before it times out like it should). Is there a reg setting for time out on this?

Chris
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 11:09:58 am »
How do you have the RB set to run from the task scheduler? As the system account or current user? On my system I do current user and I even put it to use the fall back method instead as it is so much faster and I dont have other user accounts that need backed up.

But I am curious why it would fail when ran from the task scheduler but not manually, one thing that popped into mind was if the task scheduler is running it under a different account.

Shane

Offline chris635

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 11:36:19 am »
System Account.   Scratch that, it is user.
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 11:48:43 am »
Odd, I also have it set in RB to minimized and not hidden, not sure why that would matter but it is odd how it fails when ran from the task scheduler.

Shane

Offline chris635

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 11:56:41 am »
Once I uninstalled the stand alone version and set the schedule through reg back in the all in one it works fine. It's working so that's how I'll leave it. By the way, is there anyway to maybe install one version of this. I have just about all of your programs and almost all of them come with the reg back up program. Is there any way I can install just one reg back tool..lol!

Any idea why vss is open so long? And if there is a reg setting to change timeout for it?

Chris
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 12:02:07 pm »
Dont know why vss is open so long.

As for the reg backup, yes you can simply remove it from the other folders, it just means you wont be able to run the backup from those programs and instead just need to go and open and run it yourself :-)

Shane