Author Topic: Windows host process (Rundll32) stopped working  (Read 8028 times)

Offline Nomad

• View Profile
Windows host process (Rundll32) stopped working
« on: May 09, 2014, 08:33:45 am »
Hi, everybody.
I have a problem for a long time now: my notebook, when starting, shows a message box saying something like (trying to translate from portuguese) "Windows host process (Rundll32) stopped working. Windows will close the program and warn you whether there is an available solution". It doesn't show the solution, so he hasn't one.
My OS is 32 bit Vista Home Premium.
Is this something that the tweaking.com program can fix? Somebody help me, please!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Windows host process (Rundll32) stopped working
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 03:22:12 pm »
You have a program in startup that is trying to load a dll file and that file is making it crash.

Go to the start button and in the search put in msconfig

When that opens go to the startup tab and find the one that is loading that and disable it :wink:

Shane

Offline Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 06:00:17 pm »
Hi Shane

Thank you for the reply. I went to msconfig, to Selective Startup, deactivated all services, reactivated all again, one by one, and no more message box shows up. In the Startup column I just activated the items that I felt I was needing. I don't know which programs were activated before, so it seems I must try all, one at a time to find out which was causing that trouble.
Now I have a new problem, the up-down function of my touchpad (in the right side of the touchpad) does not work, although I have activated the program (Synaptics) to start up. And it happens too that the Synaptics item is missing from the down right bar.
Please give me one more hint.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 12:00:05 pm »
There must be another exe in the startup that is needed for it. When you look at them you should see the path that they start from, that will give you an idea to the ones that belong to it :wink:

Shane

Offline Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 05:23:14 am »
Hi Shane
It has been quite a busy time trying to fix this, I'am seeing your reply in this very moment. Well in the startup header there were two items, I activated both, but nothing responded, so, I used a earlier restore point which brought back the correct touchpad functioning, then I found two items that were causing the first trouble, which were a "NVIDIA Compatible Windows Vista Display Driver" and a "NVIDIA Media Center Library" both having a description in the Command header as "RUNDLL32.EXE", and everything seems to work properly now. Uff, it was easier and quicker saying than doing!!
Thank you very much! 

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 12:32:26 pm »
Good to hear you got it all working :-)

Shane