Author Topic: Another Update Problem  (Read 5693 times)

Offline Dusty Van

• View Profile
Another Update Problem
« on: May 11, 2014, 10:59:01 am »
Ok, this on is unique. Windows update is being picky. Some updates install just fine, others fail (most with code 80070490)  I used the new MS windows update repair tool, same problem. I asked on other forums and the consensus was I needed to do a repair install. Brought the machine to a local shop because I needed a larger SSD anyway. He says the repair install went fine. I believe him even if I don't trust him. Ran update with the same results. So, just for S & G I renewed my license with Reimage (not a cheap option BTW). Ran the whole Reimage Repair. Tried Windows Update again with same results with the same error code. Looking at update history I see several updates install just fine but a number don't. I am completely stumped. Any ideas?

Win 7 x64
8 Gb ram
C: is  a 250 Gb SSD
Tnx,
Dusty

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Another Update Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 12:22:32 pm »

Offline Dusty Van

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 03:43:38 pm »
Have you tried the system readiness tool yet?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update-error-80070490#1TC=windows-7

ok, the readiness tool  referred to is the one I ran a couple of time without success. The article you referenced detailed how to do a repair install. I have developed a plan of Acton though.  I'm going to  contact Reimage support and find out if Reimage should replace a corrupted CBS Manifest. If that doesn't do it I'm going to take to the shop that I started using when I realized the guy I had been using is a cheat. I'm just not sure that he really did the repair install. I'd do all this myself but my win 7 came with one of those OME licenses that you don't get a disk with. I'll keep you posted on progress (when/if I make some).
Tnx,
Dusty

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 03:45:42 pm »
If you need a Windows 7 Disk you can grab an image here :-D

Then you can do it yourself when you need to.

https://sites.google.com/site/linuxlablibrary/windows-iso

Shane