Author Topic: msi repair didn't  (Read 9826 times)

Offline wotnwabbit

• View Profile
msi repair didn't
« on: May 07, 2014, 11:56:35 am »
Windows installer still not working.  This is the error message I get:

The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed.  This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed.  Contact your support personnel for assistance.

Running tweaking msi repair made no difference.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: msi repair didn't
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 01:22:40 pm »
Does the event viewer show anything about msi and have any error codes?

Shane

Offline wotnwabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 02:11:03 pm »
Event viewer shows Warning for MSiInstaller  with error code "Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x8007000E"

and

- System

- Provider

[ Name]  MsiInstaller

- EventID 1015

[ Qualifiers]  0

Level 3

Task 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime]  2014-05-07T18:48:23.000000000Z

EventRecordID 9133

Channel Application

Computer Cyberpower

- Security

[ UserID]  S-1-5-21-741953969-297086482-1006031999-1000

- EventData

0x8007000E
   (NULL)
   (NULL)
   (NULL)
   (NULL)
   (NULL)

All of which means nothing to me.

Before I used Tweaker, I had searched all over the internet for an answer to correcting or reinstalling Windows Installer.  There are many suggestions and I tried most of them including a Fixit from Microsoft and a zipped file to correct the registry.

I could not find a d/l from MS to reinstall the installer.

Nothing works.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 02:21:17 pm »
What version of Windows are you on?

I also searched and found a few people who had this problem and it turned out to be the antivirus getting in the way.

For some others it was because they didnt have enough drive space. And Again for others some msi files installed fine while only certain ones failed.

Did you run my Windows Repair tool and run all the repairs? (Always have it do a registry backup first)

Shane

Offline wotnwabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 04:54:57 am »
Win 7 Pro x64 with plenty of room.

It may be that only the one install file is failing.  I tried to reinstall a different msi file I had saved (would only let me repair or uninstall) which ran successfully.  I chose repair since I was fearful of uninstalling/reinstalling.

Have not run all the repairs in tweaking, as I am hesitant to run a fix I don't need.

Thanks for your help, btw.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 04:59:36 pm »
All my repairs are testing on fresh installs of Windows, they are meant to make Windows work which means it should do any harm to a healthy system :-)

But there is always unknowns, 90% of the repairs have to do with the registry, so if you do run them just make sure to do a registry backup first.

At the same time I am not sure you need to run the repairs if the problem is with just one installer.

First thing I would do is use this tool here
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/Windows-Installer-CleanUp-Utility.shtml

When it loads up all the stuff that is currently in the installer see if the program that is giving problems is in the list, if it is remove it, that will remove the info from msi for that installer. I do that when a program refuses to uninstall and so when I try to reinstall the program the installer ont let me, by removing it from the installer database it thinks it is a fresh install and installs like one :-)

Shane

Offline wotnwabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 08:14:57 am »
I have been trying to use the Softpedia link for a week.  It has failed to load every time (Unable to connect).

I found "Windows Installer CleanUp Utility 7.2" at MajorGeeks.  Reading the description, that does not appear to apply to my problem.

However I did try to run msicuu2.exe only to get a popup box that it is "not a valid 32 bit program".

The following is from answers.microsoft

Windows Installer CleanUp Utility works correctly in all 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Microsoft Windows. If you have an earlier version installed on your computer, we recommend that you download and install this latest version.

<bold>You can use the utility to remove installation information for programs that were installed by using Windows Installer. Be aware that Windows Installer CleanUp Utility will not remove the actual program from your computer. However, it will remove the installation files so that you can start the installation, upgrade, or uninstall over.<bold>

When you use Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, you can perform the following functions:
• Select one or more programs that were installed by Windows Installer from the Windows Installer CleanUp dialog box.

To do this, select the programs that you want in the Installed Products list in the Windows Installer CleanUp dialog box. After you make this selection, the utility removes only Windows Installer configuration information that is related to those programs.

• Remove all Windows Installer information associated with the selected programs. This includes the entries for the programs in the Add Or Remove
Programs item in Control Panel. Be aware that only the Installer information for that particular program is removed, not the files.

Windows Installer CleanUp Utility does not perform the following functions:

• Remove Windows Installer
• Remove files of any programs that are installed by Windows Installer, such as Microsoft Office 2003

For more information visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Hope this information is helpful.

Umesh P - Microsoft Support

Now what?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 08:22:40 am by wotnwabbit »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 12:24:05 pm »
Odd, it downloads and installs fine for me. Sounds like the download isnt finishing all the way.

Do you use a download manager or anything? Did you try using a different browser as well?

Shane

Offline wotnwabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 06:14:42 am »
The situation with my computer kept getting worse.  Task Scheduler wasn't working. Sound and images would fail to load on web pages, etc.

I gave up and did a complete re-install of windows 7.  Now everything is good, Softpedia will even load.

Even though my antivirus (Avast) did not detect one, the problem began to look like a worm or virus.

Thanks for your help and I still have faith in tweaking btw.

Did not mark this as solved, but you may if you wish.

PS Am making a donation, thanks again.

Thanks,
marty
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 06:19:26 am by wotnwabbit »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 08:51:31 pm »
Hi, Shane pl mark this thread as closed.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 12:47:07 pm »
Sounds like there was something truly wrong there, good to hear you are back up and working  :-)

Need anything else just let me know. :wink:

Shane