Author Topic: Why and other questions that you may not wish to divulge.  (Read 12050 times)

Offline Sparker

• View Profile
Why and other questions that you may not wish to divulge.
« on: March 20, 2012, 09:05:41 am »
Can you make the text a bit more legible in the verification box? It is too faint.

Why do you operate this website? Where does the financial gain come from. You offer your services for free to us strangers, why? Do these annoying cookies have something to do with it? facebook, doubleclick, scorecardresearch, kontera, legolas-media, bluekai, bkrtx, googlesyndication all are dying to get in our PC's and follow us around.

How about designing a program that makes these cookies think they have accomplished their goal but in actual fact get blocked?

Now to the real reason I came here. I have two hard wired Win XP PC's and I would like to open a peer to peer channel between them. All the Internet help available seems to be directed towards wireless units. Can you help?

Offline chris635

• View Profile
Re: Why and other questions that you may not wish to divulge.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:24:39 am »
When you come to the website on the left under donate it say's "We are 100% advertising and donation supported". Hopefully this answers your questions about facebook etc..  Shane has helped me a lot. Judging by the way he has treated me he genuinely wants to help. Now that being said, running this site isn't free to him, so he has to generate some kind of revenue to support this site. If he can (he has a big family), he will do his best to help anyone. Hope this helps with the why for this site.

Chris
Physical Science Technician
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris

Offline Sparker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 09:45:14 am »
I certainly don't begrudge the man from making an honest living. He certainly has dedicated a lot of hours to building this site up. Understand I am a CAPITALIST, yes in capital letters. I am simply curious what the cookies do. Where's the benefit from having so many? Does he get a few nickels every time someone opens his website or what? How does it work, I don't know and am curious.

Primarily my reason for coming to this site is to get a peer to peer channel between my XP's.

Offline chris635

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 09:50:15 am »
LOL! I new you weren't trying to begrudge him. Yeah he's a good guy from what I can tell. I'm sure he can help you :cheesy:.

Chris
Physical Science Technician
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 10:09:21 am »
I have no clue what the cookies do, I just know they have to do with the ads.

I do what I do because it is a win/win. I get to help people and still feed and provide for my family. I believe that the only thing you take with you when you die is who you are. So I work on building that rather than trying to squeeze every penny out like some people in the world do.

And when it comes to making money, the repeat customer is where you make the most. Not the quick penny you try to make ripping someone off.

So treat people right and they will always come back. :wink:

Now on to your problem, when you say peer to peer are you just talking about the standard file sharing in Windows?

Shane

Offline Sparker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 10:39:58 am »
"when you say peer to peer are you just talking about the standard file sharing in Windows?"

Yes, I want to be able to share the picture and video files that are on the other PC. Is there any chance of connecting the two PC's where I can 'control' the mouse on the other one? I think that is called remote something or other.

I realize they are not the same thing. Let me explain it better. Every once in a while my wife needs help in figuring out how to achieve something on the web. It would be nice to be able to do it without getting up and working with her mouse. Just a wishin' and hopin'

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 10:59:01 am »
Very easy way :-)

teamviewer.com

Free for home use. Just install it on both machines and follow the instructions. You will be able to control the other machine and your wife can see everything that is happening. Works over the internet as well :wink:

Shane

Offline Sparker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 11:18:55 am »
Thank you. That is wonderful. It is exactly what I have been searching for!. Is there any security concerns that need to be performed after its use?

May I have your permission to ask a few friends who have their own websites to put up a link to http://www.tweaking.com and http://www.pcwintech.com/ on their sites? I can't say how many will but I am certainly going to tell everyone in my address book about you.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 11:21:15 am »
Feel free to :-)

And for teamviewer, I use it everyday with my computer in the house and in my office, so it is safe to use. :wink:

Shane
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 05:20:36 pm by Shane »

Offline 4ty8er

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 03:30:26 pm »
 :artist: Thanks Shane for all you do.   :smiley:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 03:57:01 pm by 4ty8er »