Author Topic: Registry Backup took a vacation  (Read 6576 times)

Offline spencer1

• View Profile
Registry Backup took a vacation
« on: May 23, 2014, 03:59:49 am »
Hi. The Registry Backup program went south on me last week. When I clicked its shortcut, the user interface didn't appear on my screen. However, TweakingRegistryBackup.exe showed up in Windows Task Manager.

I tried to fix with a registry restore (using Ubuntu PE) -- no luck. I also uninstalled/reinstalled to no avail. Finally, an image backup restore brought things back intact.

Any idea why the program went funky?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 12:08:11 pm by spencer1 »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Registry Backup took a vacation
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 08:47:28 am »
Hard to say since you got it working now. But I have a feeling it was a file on the system that was the problem.

The program is made in VB6 and the system has VB6 runtime files on the system, it also uses API calls from other Windows system files. So if any of those files where missing or corrupt then I could see the program not working correctly. That theory is backed up by the fact that restoring the registry didnt fix it, but restoring the system files from the image backup did the trick :wink:

Shane

Offline spencer1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 12:05:41 pm »
Thanks for your reply Shane. Weird. I can't imagine how files got corrupted.  I hadn't done anything unsual in that time period, and was only using the PC to browse the internet. Scans for viruses & malware were clean. Oh well, backups can come in handy.. knock on wood.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 06:01:15 pm »
If it happens again let me know before you restore anything. I can have you look at file versions and such. Possible that maybe a file got replaced with a older version for the OS and caused a problem. hard to tell, so let me know if you run into it again :wink:

Shane

Offline spencer1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 11:51:39 pm »
Hi Shane. So far so good, but yes, if the problem happens again, I will report back before trying to fix. Thanks.