Author Topic: Problem of configuring window 8 updates  (Read 4605 times)

Offline Techone

• Bigfoot fan
    • View Profile
Problem of configuring window 8 updates
« on: June 11, 2014, 08:46:57 am »
 Running Windows 8.   To start with, I just became a member today and was glad to find this forum.
This problem happened after I had to go back to factory settings on my pc to resolve a problem.  I am now up and running ok and pc is back to normal.

This is what troubled me . Naturally Window,s Updates had to be recovered to catch back up for needed patches. There was 108 updates to be downloaded. Every one downloaded fine and they all
installed ok.  Now pc had to do configuration on these updates. During configuration, maybe half way through the rotateing activity icon would go from center to left side of monitor screen and pc would blink off and then blink back on. I then would get a restart and pc would pick configuration of updates from where it left off.  Because of pc blink off, updates did not configure properly then this would trigger a repair reply.  This happened 3 times but after the first time I used recovery menu remove file only. I eventually got through this by installing updates 25 to 30 at a time.
  Note: I found no maleware or viruses  in program runs to look for.   I ran Norton Internet Security 2014 full scan, Norton Eraser, Malwarebytes,ect.. and nothing turned up except a few cookies.
 Have a HP Pavillion / 1 tet drive/ and 8 gigs ram. windows 8 program.

My question is, what would cause this update configuration problem?  I wish to say hello to everybody  and I will also help with tech answers if I see a familiar problem. Job is Eng. Technician .

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Problem of configuring window 8 updates
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 10:09:22 am »
Hard to tell what is causing that problem. One thing is for sure, Windows 8 has been the worst yet when it comes to updates. Which doesn't surprise me since all the permissions and changes they did so they could have an app store and they haven't got it all worked out yet.

The one thing that comes to mind is the programs that are currently installed. When ever I do a reinstall for a customer I do a fresh install of Windows right from a normal cd and that means windows and nothing else is installed, none of the preinstall crap software is on the system. So windows updates almost never have any trouble for me, because nothing is on the system except for Windows itself.

The store computers come preloaded with a ton of crap, and when you do a restore all that software is back on the system. There has been multiple programs from all the mfgs that I have read up on that have been causing problems in 8 and with updates. So I am wondering if that is what is happening here.

First thing to do is to try it after uninstalling your antivirus. Norton is horrible at taking over a system and getting in the way, so normally that is the first thing I remove when something is going nuts on a system. :wink:

Shane