Author Topic: v 1.9.0 update question (SOLVED)  (Read 7133 times)

Offline kkay

• View Profile
v 1.9.0 update question (SOLVED)
« on: June 14, 2014, 11:33:31 am »
I updated last night to the newer version.  I have had excellent luck with this program.  Did you add a guest to the backup in the newer version?  Before it backed up 14 files.  Now it is 16.  I don't use Guest, and now it is backing up guest data. 
C:\Users\Guest\ntuser.dat  (shows size 2mb)
C:\Users\Guest\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Userclass.dat (shows size 1.2 mb)

The reason I ask is I am having strange download speeds the past 3 days.  I am trying to narrow down the problem.  I have used Eset Nod 32, Malwarebytes, and the Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit.  All found nothing.  My ISP tech thinks I have a virus.  So, I am looking for anything strange, or out of the norm.  If you didn't add GUEST in this update, that might be something for me to consider.  I did go to safe mode to do a speed test.  In safe mode it is average speed.  If a guest has been signing on, I need to know about it.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 10:01:51 am by kkay »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: v 1.9.0 update question
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 09:45:57 am »
Yes the program can grab that now :-)

Before if you used the fall back method only and not VSS then the program would only backup loaded registry files, where with VSS it grabbed all of them. With the new version I have the fallback method try a simply file copy if a registry file isnt loaded. So now it can grab those other registry files when using the fall back method.

Here is something you should try if you havent. If you have slow speeds then make sure to do a proper power reset. Shut the computer off, pull the power cord and then try to turn the system on a few times. When it tries it will instantly drain all the electricity out of the system. This is how you properly reset hardware. After you do that plug it back in and turn it on and see how it does then :wink:

Shane

Offline kkay

• View Profile
Re: v 1.9.0 update question (SOLVED)
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 09:59:37 am »
Shane, thank you so much for everything!  I sure do appreciate it.  Now I won't worry about the guest files.  It seems the problem is Carbonite, with my slow speeds.  For some odd reason it started backing up practically everything.  When I pause it, the speed goes back to normal.  When I unpause it, it gets real slow again.  There were over a thousand files that were trying to back up, which is very strange.  I didn't just buy it, or have it on a trial.  It was backed up completely a few days ago.  I sent Carbonite an email inquiring about this.  They suggested I call them.  I still have 15 GB of data pending, which is a pain in the rear.  So if I need to watch a video, I pause Carbonite.  I can set it to back up slower, but there is so much data pending, it will take forever for it to finish. 
   Your idea about the reset is a great one.  I am going to have to write that down in my notes, and keep that for future reference.  I've never heard of that before, and that info will come in handy in the future!  Thanks for mentioning that too!!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 10:01:18 am by kkay »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: v 1.9.0 update question
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 10:05:38 am »
One of the reasons I NEVER use online backups, is the fact that it will eat my internet speed while it is uploading (A lot of ISP HATE people who upload a lot of data for some reason) and when I need to access my files it is horribly slow to download all the files, one at a time. Not to mention if my connection is down I cant get the files and someone else has them!

I always backup to a external hard drive, I have multiple and then I rotate them. While one is used for that nights backup the others stay inside a small fire and water proof safe from costco. Now when i need my files I have access to them and very fast.

You only need to back up what you cant replace. Dont waste space by backing up things that can be reinstalled or replaced. Sounds like carbonite is backing up the entire system for some reason and not just the files that cant be replaced.

I had a customer who did that, 74 GB worth of data. Her drive died and I put a new one in and started to get her files from the online backup. Took 4 days to get the files, because it only does 1 at a time. After I was done I removed it and put her up on backups to local external drives instead and she hasnt been happier :wink:

Shane

Offline kkay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 10:15:21 am »
Thank you for the comments.  I did buy an external hard drive last year.  I bought it after I had paid for the Carbonite subscription for the year.  I had planned to let the subscription run out, and not renew it.  Then I got to thinking about fire, or flood.  If my data was held off site too, I would not worry as much.  After this recent scenario, which has never happened before, I am going to rethink that.  The fire safe is a great idea.  I had not considered that.  I keep my external hard drive in the filing cabinet, and only use it once a week or so.  Now I think a fire safe will be a great investment.  Thank you Shane!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 10:24:06 am »
Yeah the safe I got at costco was about $200. I just keep my backup drives in it. Fire or flood I have my data and I dont need a internet connection to get my data. The safe can be bolted to the floor to prevent theft. I keep an off site external drive at my in laws lol

But, if you can, get more than 1 backup drive. I use two right now and I rotate them between backups. Backup drives can die as well so I like to have multiple. This way if one dies I still have the other. :wink:

Here is an example
http://www.costco.com/Sentry%C2%AESafe-1.0-Cubic-Ft.-Electronic-Laptop-Security-Safe.product.11297868.html

Shane

Offline kkay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 10:45:56 am »
That is certainly worth it, if you can afford it.  I have a lot of photos, and documents.  The documents aren't sensitive, just stuff that I save for future reference in connection with my hobbies.  If I were to lose either, I would be beside myself with grief.  Right now I just have two flash drives, and the one external hard drive.  In the future, I will up that.  I didn't know those safes were that much.  Well, in the future maybe I can get one.  A lot of hard work went into some of those documents.  Plus most of the photos are not replaceable, they are electronically held only.