Author Topic: Windows Repair 2.7.5 keeps running and running  (Read 8259 times)

Offline dhunt1944

• View Profile
Windows Repair 2.7.5 keeps running and running
« on: June 26, 2014, 05:11:52 am »
I started Windows Repair about 15 hours ago and I can't stop it. I unselected all and it won't stop. The system is a dual boot (Win 7 and xp) on a 2 TB hybrid drive, I originally ran it because I can't get into Internet Options in control panel or IE 11. How do I get out of it without damaging something? (Win 7 is the primary op sys that is running now)  Help ASAP

Issue Resolved
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 10:36:01 am by dhunt1944 »

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Re: Windows Repair 2.7.5 keeps running and running
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 09:34:51 am »
- WR takes about 30 minutes to finish on my Win 7 Pro system.
- What's occuring to CPU usage, read & write speed (see system gauges in the main repair screen). (Very ) Steady ? (very ) (Eratic) high/low activity ? At which repair does the program get stuck (see log pane) ? Can you give a screenshot ?
- After that: just close the WR related program boxes by hitting the "X" (top right hand corner). Just restart the program. Restart the repairs again and skip the repair that caused the trouble. "Rinse & repeat".

Offline dhunt1944

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 09:54:39 am »
There was never an indication as to where in the process the program was. (logs, etc.) I finally just stopped it and restored the disc that it was running on. I am trying to reset to the point that I can get to the Internet Options in the Control Panel and in Internet Explorer 11. I am not sure if Windows Repair is the answer, anyway. I did not realize that I would loose all of my e-mails, etc. I think I will try another approach. Do you have any suggestions. By the way, Windows Repair was running on Windows 7, 64 bit, 16 Gb Ram, 3.4 Ghz Quad core. I don't think processor speed was a problem. Any suggestions as to the Internet Options problem will be welcome.
dhunt1944

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 10:32:39 am »
Windows Repair doesnt delete any files and such, you wouldnt lose any emails or any personal files at all.

What repair was it on that it said was taking so long? What was on the screen in the program?

If you run windows repair again make sure to have it do a registry backup and if it gets stuck on a repair take a screen shot of it for me.

All the repairs are ran through Windows in cmd.exe. My program itself doesnt do the repairs it outputs the repairs commands to bat files and has Windows run the commands. So it isnt common for a repair to get stuck, if it does get stuck something else is going on. So knowing which repair it was well help me in seeing which commands was ran during that repair :wink:

Shane

Offline dhunt1944

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 12:28:06 pm »
There was never an indication as to what repair it was stuck on. The screen was showing the list of repairs that were checked and there was cpu, ram and disk activity. There was nothing showing in the logs other than the ckdsk logs. I was never able to determine where it was in the process. I looked at the task manager and process monitor but it didn't show me anything other than what was indicated in the Windows Repair status indicators. When I stopped it and checked to see if the system was still functional, my e-mail files (Outlook) were gone. At that point I restored the disc from a clone backup and did not try anything else. After being up and down all night checking on it, I wasn't in the mood to try anything else. I only need to find out why I can't get into Internet Options in the control panel and in Internet Explorer. I apologize for not getting a screen capture, but just didn't think about it. I don't plan on running it again. Can you suggest something else to address the Internet Options problems?
Thanks
dhunt1944

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 12:34:41 pm »
The main window of the repairs would show the log right on the page and what repair it is on and a progress bar. When you clicked the start button on the screen the log would show there.

The program does touch the outlook pst file which is where your emails are stored. And if none of the repairs where even running then something else is going on.

If you havent done so yet do a bad sector check with chkdsk.

Open a cmd.exe window as administrator. Then type in

chkdsk c: /f /r

When you try it, it will come up as the drive is in use and would you like to schedule it. Hit Y and then enter. Now reboot, when it comes up it should start the chkdsk. If it doesnt try again.

The back sector check can take a couple of hours depending on the size and speed of the drive.

After the scan you can check the event viewer to see the results. I want to check for bad sectors because the outlook pst file doesnt just disappear unless there was a problem with it, such as being on a bad sector. Plus if there is bad sectors it could explain the other problems your having. So the chkdsk is a good start :wink:

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 01:29:09 pm »
Try this: Click "Start" and type in the search box "inet.cpl". Do the internet options show up ?