Author Topic: Windows repair 2.7.5 running for 2 days now  (Read 15822 times)

Offline penguinlee

• View Profile
Windows repair 2.7.5 running for 2 days now
« on: June 29, 2014, 04:20:34 pm »
Someone mentioned running a long time. I didn't see a solution posted. I'm on my 2nd day. Run all day yesterday, all through the night & closing another full day. I got the crazy idea it was supposed to run VERY long but now i'm suspicious something isn't right. Can someone please advise me what to do. Screen shot attached.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Re: Windows repair 2.7.5 running for 2 days now
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 06:50:04 am »
- On my Win 7 system WR finishes all the repairs in about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Post the logs in your next reply.
- Just simply close the program, restart the program with the first repair after the repair where the program got stuck.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 10:48:54 am »
Is that a screen shot of the program as you where waiting for it? If so, the repairs are not even running, you need to click start on the right hand side first :wink:

Shane

Offline penguinlee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 11:09:33 am »
Thanks Willy. Deselecting the Permission repairs allowed the program to run. In fact after a successful run of the program, I went back & re-selected the Permission items & they finally ran, so who knows. At least 1 problem still exists. When I do a restart of my computer, my network printer drivers somehow get corrupted (the icons in Devices & Printers are grayed out). I have to remove the printers & reinstall.  Not sure of Security Essentials update issue yet but the printer issue is more urgent to me right now. Not sure if it's related but also after a startup, in Device Manager, under Universal bus controllers, an Unknown device ! is shown. I just delete it & the ! in Devices & Printers next to my computer icon, goes away. If you have any ideas for the printer issue, I would appreciate it. BIG thanks again. Lee

Offline penguinlee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 11:11:55 am »
Thanks Shane. No, I stopped it for a moment. Willy's suggested to de-select what was stuck & it worked. Thanks, Lee

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 11:14:24 am »
Not sure if it's related but also after a startup, in Device Manager, under Universal bus controllers, an Unknown device ! is shown. I just delete it & the ! in Devices & Printers next to my computer icon, goes away. If you have any ideas for the printer issue, I would appreciate it. BIG thanks again. Lee

That can be related if that unknown device has something to do with the printer or a usb port.

If the unknown shows up again you can use my program here
http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/tweaking_com_hardware_identify.html

Have it look for hardware with no drivers installed and the unknown should show up in the list, double click on it and my program will give you a list of what it might be, if it is in the database. (Make sure to update the database when you first run the program)

You may need to simply uninstall the printer software and reinstall it, but first lets see if we can find what the unknown device is :-)

Shane

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 11:16:06 am »
Thanks Shane. No, I stopped it for a moment. Willy's suggested to de-select what was stuck & it worked. Thanks, Lee

If it ever happens again try to get me a screen shot of the repair window itself (The cmd.exe window) so I can see what repair and at what point it might be stuck on :-)

I am wondering if it was stuck in an infinite loop because of a bad junction point. One of the other repairs removes known junction points that viruses add. I wonder if that is what did the trick. If so perhaps I need to add the commands to try and remove those junction points before doing the permission repairs :-)

Shane

Offline penguinlee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 11:52:00 am »
Hi Shane,

Ok, ran the hardware Identifier; no hardware showing w/out drivers. I reinstalled the print drivers. Note: Due to some USB issues, i'm running my printer through the network port & only installing network drivers. Interesting but the scanner, part of the printer suite, remains ok. I confirmed the printer was working, did a restart & the printer & fax are gone again. Since I don't do a cold boot everyday, only after updates or if something is buggy, my temp solution for now is to just reinstall the printer every time a restart is necessary. Lee

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 12:11:30 pm »
OK, go to services and make sure the printer service is running.

And I think I might have you run combofix and here is why.

1. The permissions repair got stuck in a infinite loop. Which happens when a virus adds a junction point to a path that points back to a parent folder and thus we get stuck.
2. If the spooler service isnt running and is crashing, I have seen a virus do this as it infected the spooler service and so would cause the spooler service to crash.

I have seen both of these on multiple customers computers and combofix was the olny tool I found that fixed it.

So lets get that a try
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

Let me know how it goes  :cheesy:

Shane

Offline penguinlee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 02:16:39 pm »
Hi Shane,

I ran the combofix. Very neat & clean program. Not the usual GUI laced commercial program. It did remove some items.
It did not fix the problem. Maybe related to loading that Unknown device, since it appears after restart. But that should only present as a USB issue. Like I said before, I have a clumsy solution of reloading the drivers after startup. If you can offer anymore solutions, I appreciate it. But I don't want to continue to take up too much of your time. Oh, btw, I lost Disk auto run since combofix. Thanks again, Lee.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 04:59:41 pm »
Once the system is back up and the printers dont show, go check to make sure the spooler service is running and let me know :wink:

Shane

Offline penguinlee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 09:14:57 am »
Hi Shane,

Before I check spooler service, I would like to first restore my CD/DVD auto run exe. In Services, Shell Hardware Detection shows running & Automatic. The issue arose after running combofix but I also ran Simple System Tweaker & CleanMem as well. Thanks, Lee

Offline penguinlee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 11:36:59 am »
Hi Shane,

Sorry I didn't wait for a response re: AutoRun. In an attempt to get it going again, I did a restart & as usual, lost my printer drivers. I checked print spooler & it's started & set to auto. Still need to get back AutoRun. I would like to undo all that ComboFix did. Please advise. Thanks, Lee

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 12:48:31 pm »
Go to the control panel and open auto play. Check the check box at the top and in the rest of the screen you can set your auto run options :wink:

Shane

Offline penguinlee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 01:49:59 pm »
Hi Shane,

Yeah, me again. Please note the attached. Notice under Software & games there is no icon like the others have. Just that blank, generic icon. I fear combofix changed or removed a Registry value or system file somewhere. I don't have the skills to go looking or changing things without guidance. Thanks again, Lee

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 02:02:08 pm »
Nope, that is fine :-) That is the correct icon it uses.

Just scroll to the bottom of that page and click on restore defaults. Make sure the top check box stays checked and just hit the ok button :wink:

Shane

Offline penguinlee

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 02:36:18 pm »
Hi Shane,

Attached is a screenshot of the dialog box that opens instead of AutoRun. Tried several disks...  Lee

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 12:39:56 pm »
That actually is the default auto run. Then you can put a check at the top to always do this and the click on what you want it to do. :wink:

Shane

Offline penguinlee

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2014, 12:53:15 pm »
Hi Shane,

Yeah, NOW it works but the first few times it did not. I swear i'm being watched & experimented on ( :   So good; i'm @ least back to where I started. If I knew what turns on an Unknown device in Device Mgr & may be related to my disappearing printer driver, that would be nice but i'm happy that the tweaks the program made did @ least help the rest of my computing experience. Thanks again & have a nice & hopefully long holiday weekend. Lee 

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2014, 12:56:24 pm »
No problem, if your printer is plugged in with a USB then try plugging into a different USB port. Sounds odd I know, but I have seen it fix things before because Windows treats it like new hardware that got plugged in.

Have a good weekend as well :-) (I say on a Wednesday LOL)

Shane