Author Topic: Windows All in One Repair - Blank Screen  (Read 9709 times)

Offline thetenfold

• View Profile
Windows All in One Repair - Blank Screen
« on: July 11, 2014, 09:08:23 am »
Hello. I found your programs yesterday and they seemed very cool. I really like the tweaking one.

But, I used your all in one repair tool, and my screen is now mostly blank  on startup (except for some glitchy looking colors at the top of the screen; pictures below).
I used it because I found some MDAC errors on an SFC check. I haven't tried running system restore from cd yet, but was wondering if you knew what could be going on.

System info:
  Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5315

http://s26.postimg.org/3z9sudc0p/x64_blank_1.jpg
http://s26.postimg.org/btaefrjtl/x64_blank_2.jpg
http://s26.postimg.org/ck34ljm6x/x64_blank_3.jpg

-----------------------

EDIT: I booted into the "Repair Your Computer" mode and did a BootRec /FixMBR & BootRec /FixBoot.
After I restarted, Windows went straight into the automatic startup repair and just got stuck on Attempting repairs. It does this on every startup now, whether I try to boot normally, safe mode, or last good known configuration.
I also tried a System Restore, but it said I had no restore points, even though I made several before using your tool.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 10:40:27 am by thetenfold »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Windows All in One Repair - Blank Screen
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 02:07:50 pm »
My program doesnt touch system restore, so not sure why those would be gone. The program should have done a registry backup.

But you said when the startup repair runs that it seems to freeze or take a long time at attempting repairs correct?

One of those repairs it does is check the hard drive for bad sectors, if there are some then that repair will run for a very very long time.

How long did you let it run for?

Shane

Offline thetenfold

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 07:31:56 pm »
My program doesnt touch system restore, so not sure why those would be gone. The program should have done a registry backup.
It did. I think it did 2, actually - a backup as one of the steps, then I think it did an automatic one after clicking Start.

But you said when the startup repair runs that it seems to freeze or take a long time at attempting repairs correct?
Yea, it will sit there for hours on end.

How long did you let it run for?
The first time it ran, I let it run for like an hour. It never said it was running chkdsk, though. Then, I tried booting into safe mode but it went into automatic startup repair again, this time it showed it was doing a chkdsk. I let it finish, and it didn't seem to change anything.
Later on, I ended up doing a manual chkdsk /R /F through command prompt in repair mode, and it didn't find any problems.

Thanks for the reply, btw :)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 08:17:43 pm »
OK, then lets restore the registry. My program does most of the work there and doesnt remove or change any system files, besides permissions.

So if something went nuts because of some unknown variable on the system then most of the time it is in the registry.

Here are a few ways on how to restore the registry  that my program backed up when you cant get back into Windows :wink:

http://www.tweaking.com/articles/pages/tweaking_com_registry_backup_online_help,3.html

Shane

Offline thetenfold

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 12:35:10 am »
Ah, got it working. Thank you :) And again, great software. Didn't even know you were the dev of CleanMem & Drive Speedometer. I use those, great software as well.

Cheers.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 12:47:27 am »
So did restoring the registry get you working again?

I am up late tonight, working on WR 2.8.1  :cheesy:

Shane

Offline thetenfold

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 08:27:06 am »
Yeah. Actually, I got a BSOD after restoring the registry, but that's because I was messing with classpnp.sys prior to that. I ran an automated repair from a Win7 repair disc; it ran SFC and restored classpnp.sys. Now it starts up great. I am still curious as to why I had my original problem, though. Maybe later sometime, I'll go through the WR tool and re-create each step one by one, instead of doing a bunch of fixes at once, to see what caused it.

ps: I chose the login length "Forever" here on the forum, but the cookies are always set to expire at the end of the session, so it logs me out everytime. Just thought I'd let you know. Not a big deal, though.