Author Topic: Individual Reg key (SOLVED)  (Read 6509 times)

Offline Rusty.Not

• View Profile
Individual Reg key (SOLVED)
« on: July 22, 2014, 11:12:02 am »
I had to Refresh my 8.1 computer.  I had been using Windows Live Mail (12) as my email client.  I understand their "mail rules" are stored in HKU somewhere. [ I had a lot of "customized" rules so I'd really like to recover them. ]

Both in Desktop mode and using WinRE I find the current registry did not save the WLMail key(s).  I tried the "reg" command but couldn't find any hive to load.

After the Refresh I was assigned a new username; "<username>.Toshiba-Laptop."  Naturally this threw me for a loop. :cry:

It'll take forever to re-associate everything back to <username> (without the computer name that Refresh tacked on.)

Now I hesitate to restore the last Tweaking Reg backup in fear it may screw everything up.

Finally my question.  Is there a way to access the Tweaking backup .dat files to retrieve only the keys I need?

Thanks so much in advance!  :shocked:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 01:42:13 pm by Rusty.Not »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Individual Reg key
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 11:42:39 am »
Yes there is :-)

Open regedit, then click on hkey_local_machine

Now go to the top and click on file and go to load hive.

Now go to the reg backup folder and go to the users folder and your username. There you will see the NTUSER.DAT. Click on it and open it.

Now it will ask you to give it a name, this name isnt permanent, it is just for you to know where the loaded hive is located. So in this case give it the name Test.

Now under hkey_local_machine you will see a new folder called test, under there is the loaded ntuser.dat hive file :-)

So find the regkeys you want from there, and then right click on them and click export. Save the reg file to your desktop.

Once you are done getting the registry keys go back to the main Test folder under hkey_local_machine, or what ever you called the folder when you loaded it. Once it is highlighted, go to the file menu and click on unload hive.

Ok you can now close regedit.

Now 1 more thing to do. Go to the reg file you exported out, right click on it and hit edit.

Now at the top go to edit and then replace.

In the first box on what to look for type in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Test and then for the replace with put in HKEY_CURRENT_USER and then click replace all.

We have to do this because the way the hive was loaded it kept the path when we exported it out. So we simply need to change the path to point back to HKEY_CURRENT_USER :wink:

Once done click save and close it, now double click the reg file to add it tot he registry.

Shane

Offline Rusty.Not

• View Profile
Re: Individual Reg key
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 01:39:58 pm »
It worked.  You're a weeellll informed man  ..er dog.  :artist:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Individual Reg key (SOLVED)
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 04:31:08 pm »