Author Topic: "Class Not Registered" after AIO when trying to access Computer Management  (Read 10593 times)

Offline kyxaa

• View Profile
I've noticed this with 3 different computers that I've run All in One repair on. I'll let it run and during the "Reset Service Premissions" stage it will pop up "Class not registered" and then from that point forward it will pop that same thing up when trying to access Computer Management. The one computer that I'm looking at now is a Windows 7 computer.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
I just checked on a few Windows 7 systems that I have ran the repairs on and I dont have that error. But doesnt mean it isnt happening.

When I get back in my office I will install a fresh copy of Windows 7 in VMware and then run all the repairs and see if I can replicate it :wink:

Till then lets check the command for the "Manage" on the right click of computer.

In the registry go to
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\Manage\command

Then for "Default" it should be set to
mmc.exe compmgmt.msc

Check that and let me know and Iw ill be testing later on it :-)

Shane

Offline kyxaa

• View Profile
So I ran into the problem again today. It seems to be specifically Windows 7 machines. I went to that particular place in the registry and the Value data was set to %SystemRoot%\system32\CompMgmtLauncher.exe which is the same as my computer which doesn't have that issue. Could you clarify what you mean?

Offline kyxaa

• View Profile
Oh, and this only happened with the updated version that came out on 07/14/2014.

Offline kyxaa

• View Profile
Actually I'm finding that there are many Windows Features that are getting broke by the tool. The Windows Updates couldn't be applied on multiple computers after I ran the tool.

Offline ImageJPEG

• View Profile
I can confirm this issue on two Windows 7 computers.

I am unable to run anything that involves the Management Console, Windows Restore or Windows Update.

Crossing my fingers hoping Windows Restore will work from the repair bootup.

Offline ImageJPEG

• View Profile
Running a System Restore in the repair partition works. At the very end it came up with an error but after restarting the computer, it tells me that the restore completed successfully and everything works.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I just ran all the repairs on a fresh install of Windows 7 with sp1 in vmware and everything is working fine.

I need to replicate the problem in order to fix it, or at least teamviewer into one of the broken machines so I can take a look at it.

Do either of you still have one that is broken that I can take a look at?

Shane

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
OK just did a test with a user who had the same problem.

In the v2.8.1 I had the reset registry permissions no longer change the owner. Since Windows 8 was so picky on it I wanted to see how the others did. Well on my test systems they where fine since all the permissions where normal.

For the user I helped he had cleaned up a lot of viruses from the system and after running the repairs got the same errors as you. This is because the viruses had changed the owner on some registry keys and so when the program tried to register the dll files on the system they didnt have permissions and failed. And so you would get class not registered.

So I made a new build and had the reset registry permissions take ownership again like it always use to and that did the trick, mmc was fixed and the other errors all got fixed as well.

So I am making v2.8.2 and putting it out asap :wink:

Shane