Author Topic: Tweaking.com is amazing!  (Read 5341 times)

Offline TonyN

• View Profile
Tweaking.com is amazing!
« on: July 18, 2014, 05:33:24 am »
A week of despair, head scratching and heavy drinking did not solve my disastrous XP Pro crash situation. Tweaking.com did!  I read that almost one third of the world's computer users are still on Windows XP Pro, yet Microsoft have ended support for it. Having turned down their suggested options of buying a new computer or buying yet another Windows version, I reinstalled my XP Pro from the original disk, found a site where I could download service pack 3 and tried to get the many downloads from Microsoft. Result = Total failure on every attempt! There was no way to even connect to the download site and I kept getting "support for XP Pro has ended" messages.

Then I found Tweaking.com. After running it carefully, I can now download the updates including the final update issued for XP and there we go! right back to where I was a week ago, with a fully operational XP system that does everything I need. Microsoft, you can kiss my ***.

Thank you Tweaking.com for injecting some sense into the crazy world of windows. Donation to follow.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Tweaking.com is amazing!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 12:30:36 pm »
Make sure to do this registry tweak as well :wink:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/simple_registry_hack_allows_xp_to_update_security.html

I use it on my customers xp machines and they can still get updates :-)

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Re: Tweaking.com is amazing!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 05:49:04 pm »
@TonyN: Do you mean that running Windows Repair broke some sort of ban/spell imposed by Microsoft and that prevented you from updating your system with all XP updates ?

Suggestion: If you're able to pull up which updates have installed then (manually) download each of those updates and store them in a safe place (e.g. USB stick).