Author Topic: HP Pavilion a1012x Recovery Problem - Windows XP  (Read 45413 times)

Offline backtolife

• View Profile
HP Pavilion a1012x Recovery Problem - Windows XP
« on: July 20, 2014, 12:10:20 pm »
First, let me tell you that I previously posted this issue in the HP Support Forums but did not receive any information that would help me resolve the problem.

I am attempting to restore the computer's Operating System and Applications after a hard drive replacement.  HP indicated they did not have the Restore Disks so they were purchased from a company that advertises that it sells the same disks originally sold by HP.

When using the restore disks, the restoration process appeared to occur as it should but, upon first reboot, after use of the restore disks is complete, I end up at a screen giving me the option of starting Windows normally, or in one of the safe mode choices.  When choosing to start Windows normally, the boot process just loops.  When safe mode is selected, I get a message that the installation process is not complete and asks that Windows be reinstalled.  I contacted the company I purchased the Restore Disks from and they were unable to provide any assistance.

I can report that there is a very brief BSOD after the Windows XP start up screen appears with the message "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer".  The BSOD is so brief that I had to film the start up process on the monitor and then play it back to actually see the message and read what it said.  A review of multiple videos I've taken of the start up process does not reveal an error code.  I believe it may be because video sent to the monitor disappears before the error code can be revealed.  The BSOD occurs and is gone in the blink of an eye. 

I can tell you that I reset the BIOS to factory settings after I had the problem.  Didn't seem to help doing that.

I did try unplugging one stick of RAM and tried the restore again (didn't change anything) then I put both sticks back in and ran Memtest86+ and it found no problems with the RAM.  The machine had a XFX HD-465X-ZPF2 Radeon HD4650 1GB AGP 8X Video Card installed and I tried the restore process with and without the card with the same result.  I also tried the install with a different hard drive (SATA) with the same result.  I also tried the restore process with a CRT monitor instead of a LCD monitor with the same result.

I did try and was successful installing Windows XP from a  Microsoft Disk on the same computer and the same hard drive.  Aside from the hard drive (which is the same model as was originally installed on the computer) all other hardware remains the same. 

It appears to me that the files on the Recovery Disks have been transferred to the hard drive as they should but, when the second part of the Windows installation is supposed to occur (after the first reboot, with files already copied to the hard drive), it does not continue the install.

I think the BSOD occurs because the Windows install process did not finish.  I believe the solution is to find the cause of why Windows does not continue to install itself after the first reboot.  If I actually knew what the steps of the process are after first reboot, I'd probably be in a lot better position to figure out what's wrong.

I did  try the things suggested in the following links that seem to be along the same lines as the problem I am having:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00024476&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=&product=71747&rule=91...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320279

I was unsuccessful following these procedures but it may be my lack of experience was the cause.

I am hopeful that someone here has the expertise to guide me through the repair process.  Thanks.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: HP Pavilion a1012x Recovery Problem - Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 12:44:58 pm »
The blue screen could be caused by a bad driver. If the restore disks you got where not the ones for that model then it might be loading the wrong drivers. I never use the restore disks, I always install from a normal xp cd to avoid all the preinstalled crap.

First lets find out what the blue screen says. When the computer boots and you hit F8 to get to the xp boot menu you will see safe mode and others. Down the list you will see the disable automatic restart. Do that one, then when it blue screens it will stay and not reboot and you can see what the error message is.

If it is the 0x0000007B then that means a inaccessible boot device, which is normally always driver related.

Shane

Offline backtolife

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 01:56:27 pm »
Thanks for responding Shane.

Was able to disable automatic restart.  Here's the error message:

STOP:  0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF75EC750, 0xF78B7430, 0xF78B712C)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 02:11:04 pm »
OK good, did it show a file name under it by chance?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182

Shane

Offline backtolife

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 02:36:11 pm »
Sorry, no file name with the error message.

Before we continue, I need to add some information to the mix.  I received another set of recovery disks from another vendor this morning.  They had a much better set of instructions with them.  After reading the instructions, I took the time to review the hardware that originally came with the machine.  It came with a 160GB IDE hard drive, 512 MB of RAM on one stick (PC 3200 DDR-SDRAM).  It had a HP PS/2 Multimedia keyboard, a HP PS/2 Scroller Mouse, and a LightScribe IDE DVD and a LightScribe IDE CD.  In comparison, the current HD is a 500GB IDE drive (it is not an "advanced format" drive), the computer has 2 sticks of 1GB RAM (I removed one of them before attempting the most recent restore), the computer no longer has its original keyboard or mouse, and, while it still has a DVD writer and CD, they are not the original drives.

Not sure if this changes everything about troubleshooting the issue...   btw, the new set of recovery disks do the same thing as the first set...

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 02:42:12 pm »
The hard drive and memory doesn't require any different drivers, so those wouldn't cause any problems. Only thing to check is a memory test to make sure ram is good and a bad sector check on the drive. If both are good then those are not the problem.

Could be motherboard, but I dont trust the restore cds that come with those systems. It might be a better idea to get your hands on a xp cd with sp3 on it and install fresh instead and see how it goes.

You can also see how the system does with a different OS. Ubuntu will allow you to run it right from the cd without installing it, give it a try and see if it has any trouble as well.
http://www.ubuntu.com/download

It is either a hardware problem or those recovery cds are crap lol

Shane

Offline backtolife

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 02:53:42 pm »
As described previously, I did do a Windows XP install on this machine with a Microsoft XP disk and was able to install it successfully.  I also did the RAM and HD tests to insure they were both good.

There are no recovery disks available other than the ones I've ordered and received.  I'm hopeful you have some other suggestions as to where to look next.  I presume there is information somewhere about what Windows XP does when the install reboots for the first time.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 02:55:11 pm »
Just for info - Memtest86+ or any memory test should be done on just one stick at a time, but if you have alternated when removing one stick and nothing has changed, then the sticks should be good.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 03:10:00 pm by Boggin »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 03:00:02 pm »
Those recovery disks do a lot more than just reinstall windows, they put the system back to the way it was when it was at the factory, same software, drivers and all, which means all of it is very very out of date by now. When it restores it it puts all the files on the system from a clone image. Windows isn't installed but instead restored from a backup image. Which again if that backup image wasn't exactly for this system then it will have the wrong drivers loaded into it, which is why you are getting the blue screen. Then they have windows setup in what is known as sysprep mode. Where after you install everything in windows the way you want and have all the programs and drivers done you run sysprep and then make a clone image. Window windows loads the next time it is like finishing the last part of the setup again to finalize the system. (At least thats how they have been done for a long time, I havent kept up on the recovery options and if they have changed much over the years)

The best thing to do is a fresh install like you did with a normal xp cd. Then you can go to the mfg page for the system and download the drivers they have for it.

Since you did a normal install once before, is there a reason you want to use the outdated recovery cds?

Shane

Offline backtolife

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 04:00:35 pm »
I borrowed this computer from someone and ended up screwing it up.  I'm hopeful to get the apps back that came with the machine and I can deal with updating Windows once I can get it to run.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 09:11:56 am »
What happened to the old HDD and why did you have the computer ?

Offline backtolife

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 10:29:57 am »
Long story.  A friend of mine died.  His wife wanted family pictures from the computer and a variety of other hard drives associated with the computer.  I pulled the pictures off the hard drive in the computer and the other hard drives.  It appeared that some of the hard drives had complete backups of the entire system.  I decided to copy the contents of the other hard drives to the hard drive in the computer.  During one of those operations something happened to Windows.  I started out with a HAL file error, tried to fix it, and ended up with a partition problem.  It appears that all files remain intact on the original hard drive, it just doesn't boot to Windows XP anymore.

On an entirely different note, I discovered the following discussion last night and I think it may contain the solution to the problem.  The HP a1000 series computers came with both Intel and AMD processors.  All the restore disk outlets sell the same recovery disk set for the entire a1000 family of computers.  The problem involves a registry value called Intelppm.  It may be that the restore disks I am using are set for using an Intel processor, my a1012x uses a AMD processor.

Here's the link:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/36cbcda3-0bba-47d1-a630-0b22336dedbd/winxp-sp3-bsod-0x0000007e-0xc0000005-0xbaa58756-0xbacc342c-0xbacc3128?forum=itproxpsp

I tried using the procedure found in this link below to change the value of Intelppm/start (instead of SystemSetupInProgress) but it didn't change the computer's behavior.  I believe this was because I didn't have a clue what I was doing...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00024476&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=&product=71747&rule=915

I believe I need some way of changing the value of Intelppm that will remain after I exit and reboot.

Then again, I could be entirely wrong...

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 10:56:03 am »
Shane may have a fix for that but if you can boot up into Recovery on the original HDD, then perhaps a repair install may be an easier option given that you have a XP CD ? http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1.htm

You could also see if a Kaspersky Rescue disk would repair things for you on that HDD http://support.kaspersky.co.uk/4162

There's also Hiren's Boot CD which has a Mini Windows XP to repair/recover a dead OS (so it says) http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

I fumbled my way through a Kaspersky disk recently but have never used Hiren's but with your current problems, it's probably time to look for another solution to using the OEM disks on the new HDD.

Shane may be able to give you some advice on using those disks.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 12:36:04 pm »
Did you do a bad sector check on the original drive yet? Reason I ask is it is odd that it would just have those partition problems out of no where.

And if you can, clone the original drive to the new drive and then we can use the new drive to try and fix xp and get it backup and running without messing with the old drive :wink:

Shane

Offline backtolife

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 07:28:32 am »
OK, I'm game for that as long as it isn't a destructive process.  I'd like to retain the stuff on the drive.

I have checked the original hard drive and running the extended check in DLGDIAG (Western Digital) reports that all is good.  I'm thinking that negates the need clone the drive.  I can still clone it if you can tell me how to do it.

I have the original machine (HP a1012x) which has no OS at the moment and a Windows 7 based machine with a IDE/USB capability.

I installed the original drive back into the HP this morning.  The result was:

On black screen, at the very top, left hand side of the screen, is the word Error!

I await your direction.  Thanks.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 08:49:11 am »
Wonder if this Repair disk with its auto repair would get you past that https://neosmart.net/blog/2012/windows-xp-system-repair-and-recovery-cds-available/

Edit - Sorry, thought this was a freebie.

The Kaspersky or Hiren's disk should be able to help, which are free.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:00:12 am by Boggin »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 12:08:27 pm »
We want to clone the disk as a cover our butts option.

That way since we will be trying to get things work with it on the new drive, if we mess up or do something wrong the old drive is still as is and we can always clone and try again. The data is to important to lose for the wife. As a matter a fact make a backup of that data as well. That old drive will die someday and the includes all the files with it.

There are a lot of cloning programs out there, I myself use norton ghost, isnt free and is literally the ONLY symantec product I use lol

There are some free ones out there as well but since i havent used them I am not sure which one to have you use.

Normally what you would do is have the 2 drives hooked in the same system, boot off a cd or usb drive that has the cloneing software and then clone the old drive to the new.

If for any reason you cant have both drives hooked up at once you have the clone software save the clone to a image file, save it to an external or something then hook up the new drive and clone from the image file.

But no matter what I dont want to touch anything on that old drive. And the recovery disks you got are not going to work, so if you dont want to do a fresh install and then move all the files over then the only option is to  try and get the old Windows working.

I still think a fresh install is best. This way all the crap programs are gone, any possible infections and the system starts new. There is free software for everything she would need, backup, cd burning, office (Libre Office) and all kinds of other stuff (I could actually give you the list of the free software I install on my customers machines with a new install), then we copy all her files from her profile over and she has all her pictures back. So please consider that option. It is the easiest and cleanest way.

Shane

Offline backtolife

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 01:08:13 pm »
Thanks Shane & Boggin.  Since it sounds like I could use the HP machine with Ghost (it can take both hard drives and boot from a CD) can you tell me what version of Ghost I'd want to get?  eBay shows Ghost 2000 all the way to Ghost 15.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 01:14:53 pm »
The newer version of ghost handle the windows vista, 7 and 8 boot loaders where almost all the other version have handled xp just fine since xp came out in 2001. So any version of ghost should work.

Shane

Offline backtolife

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 05:01:43 pm »
Shane, I was thinking, I should probably ask you what other programs we're going to use just in case I need to look for others...

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 06:33:55 pm »
Here is a list, I havent used them but at least there are some lol

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-cloning-software.htm

Shane

Offline backtolife

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 06:43:09 pm »
actually I meant programs besides the cloning program...  I just bought Ghost 10 on eBay...  I'll let you know when I've cloned the drive.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 03:29:59 am »
Once you've cloned the HDD, perhaps one of those rescue disks could get you back in.

For me, I'd prefer an OEM machine to come back the way it was and then if there were any other problems, HP Diagnostics (in this instance) or the factory reset would return it to pristine, providing the HDD is still serviceable.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 03:33:58 am by Boggin »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 01:26:40 pm »
actually I meant programs besides the cloning program...

Oh, did you mean the list of free programs I put on a customers machine?
(All Free)

7-Zip (Takes care of zip files and any other compressed files)
Acrobat Reader (Pdf Reader, some people like foxit reader, for me I stick with adobe because of customers who require it)
Microsoft Security Essentials (Pure, Simple, File only antivirus. Normally all that is needed, all the other stuff is just bloat)
F-Backup (Simple file copy backup program for users to use, this is their free version, Backup4All is their pay for version)
CDBurner-XP (Burn cd, dvd and music cds.)
CleanMem (My own tool, this is the free version, keeps memory under control and the use of the page file less, which is where the perfomance increase comes from, also keeps firefox and such under control with memory)
Firefox (My perfered browser. Chrome is good as well, stay aways from IE)
Adobe Flash (Flash for websites that use it)
Hashtab (Adds a tab to the proerties of any file allowing you to see the md5 and other hash info. very helpful when needed)
VSO Image Resizer (Easy picture resizing tool for users, they can right click on a photo and resize it, since pictures off a camer are freaking huge and take up space)
ImgBurn (Burn iso images if needed)
Libre Office (Free office suite, handles all the MS office files as well)
Thunderbird (Email client, same makers of firefox, I use it instead of outlook)
Paint.Net (Picture editing)
Picasa (An extra for users who like it, being able to catalog your photos by face is very nice in this)

Shane

Offline backtolife

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 04:54:17 pm »
I'm not sure if I'm destined to ever clone a drive.  I got Ghost 10 today, tried to load it on the Win 7 machine but it isn't compatible. I then went to the XP machine, loaded XP onto a SATA drive, then loaded Ghost onto that drive.  I also hooked up the original IDE drive and the matching new IDE drive.  When I look at the machine through Explorer, this is what I see.

C:  HP_PAVILION              This is data partition on the SATA drive
D:  HP_RECOVERY             This is the recovery partition on the SATA drive
E:  500GB HARD DRIVE 1  This is the original IDE HD data partition (with Win XP that won't boot and data)
F:  HP_PAVILION               This is the new IDE HD data partition (with Win XP that won't boot)
G:  HP_RECOVERY             I believe this is the original IDE HD recovery partition
H:  HP_RECOVERY             I believe this is the new IDE HD recovery partition

Ghost only reports seeing the following drives:

C:
D:
F:
G:

Not sure what's up with that.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 04:58:24 pm by backtolife »