Author Topic: Windows Media Player issue *** RESOLVED***  (Read 22816 times)

Offline penkaye

• View Profile
Windows Media Player issue *** RESOLVED***
« on: July 21, 2014, 03:22:09 am »
Hi!

Need some help if you can add some fix re Windows Media Player that has an error message when i am trying to watch a movie, it has "Class not registered".  I tried this tweaking.com but it never fix the issue.  I also tried to ran both inside windows and on safe mode the sfc scannow now but it didn't fix as well.   :confused:

To date, I am using VLC media player as substitute.   :thinking:

There's a troubleshooting that should be done but i guess it very complex to do it so i am requesting if it can add on your tweaking.com and i am more than happy if you can add fix on it.   :smiley:

Your usual help is highly appreciated

Yours truly,
Ronald
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 07:12:02 pm by penkaye »

Offline penkaye

• View Profile
Re: Windows Media Player issue
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 03:28:29 am »
btw, i am using windows 7 SP1

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 03:52:47 am »
Running a sfc /scannow as an admin from the command prompt should fix that.

Offline penkaye

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 03:56:13 am »
it didn't fix that as well.  i usually ran sfc as admin.. still got the same problem.  :confused:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 04:28:25 am »
Sometimes opening the command prompt as an admin and entering regsvr32 quartz.dll can do it but give this a try if that doesn't do it http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-windows-media-player-with-fix-wmp-utility

Edit - Forgot to add that using your Restore Points back to when it was working could also help, especially if this has just occurred following a download of anything else.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 04:39:23 am by Boggin »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 12:47:22 pm »
It may be just a bad codec installed.

Install the k-lite mega pack, this is the one I use.

It installs all the stuff needed to play pretty much everything

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

See if that does the trick :wink:

Shane

Offline penkaye

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 03:50:10 pm »
yes, before i installed vlc player, i already updated the codec by k-lite codec pack.   actually, it happened when my computer was infected by malware, what i did is i uninstall all my web browser, uninstall all unwanted programs installed, i used ccleaner to delete missing file on registry, then i re-install web browser such as google chrome and mozilla firefoz.  Then when i tried to watch a movie which i downloaded online, the problem occurs. I tried tweaking, wise cleaner, ms fixit and other utilities but to no avail.

actually , i don't like other media player.  As much as possible, i will use my Windows media player as my default video player and itunes for audio.  I will try the link that you provided and i give you feedback asap. 

Thanks,
Ronald 

Offline penkaye

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 06:59:52 pm »
i ran both fixwin and fix wmp but still got the same problem.   :cry:

Offline penkaye

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 07:15:26 pm »
stated here that windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations.  if not mistaken, i got same msg after i ran sfc scannow on safe mode as admin.  and again, still have the same problem.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 01:24:08 am »
i ran both fixwin and fix wmp but still got the same problem.   :cry:

From that link did you also try the Advanced WMP Troubleshooting sub link ?

You can also reinstall WMP by unchecking it's box in Programs & Features/Turn Windows features on or off/Media Features - reboot then go back into Features and recheck its box.

There's also this YT showing how to fool Windows into thinking it hasn't been installed to reinstate it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubyHbleePZs and there's also this ESET Repair Tool that you could try which is designed to repair services following an infection http://kb.eset-la.com/library/ESET/KB%20Team%20Only/Malware/ServicesRepair.exe

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 05:17:43 am »
If you still have problems after going through that lot, then I would suspect that your computer could still be infected and you could do worse than run ESET Online Free Scanner  http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

After it has loaded, click on Advanced and check all of the boxes except the bottom one (think it's for a Proxy) then disable your AV immediately prior to clicking on Scan and wait for it to do its thing as it can take a while.

Hopefully it will find something and if it does, re-run the ESET Repair Tool if WMP is still buggy.

What did you do to disinfect the computer other than remove programs/files - did you use any anti malware scanners and which AV program are you using ?

If WMP still doesn't work, then perhaps Shane will have some other suggestions as I've given you all that I have in my arsenal to fix WMP.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 11:50:18 am »
When class not registered comes up it is normally something missing in the registry. Normally registering the dll files or what ever files that are needed will fix it as they write themselves to the registry when you register them.

Problem is, what class is it looking for? Once we know that we can find the dll file that has that class in it.

Does it happen only when playing a video or does it happen with music or anything else with media player?

Shane

Offline penkaye

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 04:49:45 am »
sorry for the late reply...
@boggin.. computer is completely cleaned.  i ran different software that i can.  like ccleaner, slimcleaner, malwarebytes, advance system care, wise care, tweaking.com, mcafee, avast and error repair professional.  i also edited msconfig, ran cmd and sfc scannow as admin on normal window and in safe mode. i also did what you had said about wmp fix and even mf fixit,  all of that stuff didn't fix the issue. 

with regards to system restore.. i will pass on that since i already installed many softwares/programs and games and that's the reason why i contacted or member on this forum to advice shane about my problem if they can include a fix on tweaking.com re this problem

@shane.. there are no problem on audio.  i tried to ran different audio file format but its working perfectly.  i got a problem on video only.  so everytime i will play a video with any kind of video format/file, it gives me that error.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 09:05:15 pm »
Hi, Would you enclose the log of the error from event viewer.

There may be fix in the eventid.net which contains the cause of the problem and solutions as well. Which classid not registered and what is the log say so
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 07:18:59 pm »
What video file formats have you tested so far?

Shane

Offline penkaye

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 09:01:17 pm »
here's what i have..
- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client" Guid="{1C95126E-7EEA-49A9-A3FE-A378B03DDB4D}" />
  <EventID>1014</EventID>
  <Version>0</Version>
  <Level>3</Level>
  <Task>0</Task>
  <Opcode>0</Opcode>
  <Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-07-29T03:55:09.756592700Z" />
  <EventRecordID>448651</EventRecordID>
  <Correlation />
  <Execution ProcessID="1296" ThreadID="1324" />
  <Channel>System</Channel>
  <Computer>Penkaye-PC</Computer>
  <Security UserID="S-1-5-20" />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data Name="QueryName">tracker.ilibr.org</Data>
  <Data Name="AddressLength">16</Data>
  <Data Name="Address">02000035C0A8FEFE0000000000000000</Data>
  </EventData>
  </Event>

i tried all video file format but got the same problem   :confused:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 10:32:16 am »
That is just a error from the dns client. Nothing to do with the video.

When you install the k-lite codec pack, did you have it install the media player classic? And if so did you try to watch the videos in that?

Shane

Offline penkaye

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 04:46:49 pm »
i never use media player classic.  I didn't include mp classic on installing k lite.  like i told you, i only want windows media player as my default player for nay video files.  i never had a problem on this even before.  problem  started when i encounter a problem with adware on which i already cleaned my computer.  but unfortunately, it's been a month when i realized that i have a problem on wmp. unfortunately, i dont want to do system restore to fix the issue.  i thought tweaking.com can fix the issue but it's not.  i tried several programs as well but still no avail. 

I guess, the only thing that i must do to fix the issue is to system restore or complete osri.  :cry:

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2014, 01:52:25 am »
Hi, Pankeye
                  First try this ,
                      go to start menu. Type cmd and in the cmd menu shown above,just right click and select as Run as administrator. ok.
In the command prompt type
regsvr32 quartz.dll,
after few seconds you will see the action success message. If it solves the problem ok. Otherwise,
You have to run sfc /scannow in the command prompt, to run 100%. It will fix most of the problem, by copying from store any corrupted dll files.
Even if it is not then,
Try this utility
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-windows-media-player-with-fix-wmp-utility
 Sfc will definitely fix your issue if you choose elevated command prompt as i advise.

Offline penkaye

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2014, 07:58:06 pm »
Hi jraju!

i apologized, I also tried that ts but it didnt work especially that wmp utility tools.  So again, all those ts, all softwares or tools i tried, non of them work to fix the issue.  i can play video using other player like vlc player.  I can used the classic media player without a problem. I tried to play audio files on wmp and its working. In short, i got a problem only when i am using any video files on wmp.  i guess, the only resolution that i can see here is to do osri. 

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 04:32:29 am »
hi, osri should be the last resort. You have to download all  the applications again in c: drive. Sfc scannow should have fixed this issue. How many times did you scan with sfc . Have you gone through the sfc details. If you do that you may be able to locate the missing files. If you know the class id files location in the dvd, you could as well copy the required missing files. Normally sfc will find the missing files from installed installation folder, but if those files are corrupt, then this problem will occur. pl. analylse the result of sfc scannow. I will try any new solution.

Offline penkaye

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2014, 05:32:30 pm »
Hi!

here's the catch!  i did ran sfc scan for almost 5x plus already. i used as administrator both in safe mode and in a normal mode.  and it did not find any integrity violations that's why it didnt fix the issue.

i tried to uninstall and all updates on wmp but it didnt fix the issue as well.   

i know, the last resolution will be osri and that's the reason why i am asking if there will any resolution we can find before doing osri.  I done all ts that i possible know as i am technical support as well on one of the leading computer brand. 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2014, 06:07:45 pm »
You haven't said if you've checked your restore points back to when it was working, as this problem could have been the result of something you had downloaded.

If the codec isn't installed on your computer then sfc /scannow probably wouldn't be able to replace it whereas this MS Fixit or the manual Advanced steps could.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926373

Offline penkaye

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2014, 07:11:13 pm »
i finally resolved the issue  :smiley:

here's what i did again this morning.. i ran sfc scannow as admin on both safe mode and normal mode, it didnt fix the issue
i ran regsvr32 wmp.dll, regsvr32 jscript.dll and  regsvr32 vbscript.dll and then press enter and all of them didnt fix the issue
i went to turn windows feature on and off.  i uncheck wmp and restarted the system.  after restarted the system, i enable it again then restarted the system.  finally i resolved the issue.

maybe you should include this on tweaking.com tool to resolve the issue on wmp error class not register issue.

anyways, thanks a lot for your usual prompt reply to resolve the issue.   :wink:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Media Player issue *** RESOLVED***
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2014, 03:32:23 am »
I thought you had already turned it off and then back on in Features from my Post #9 ?