Author Topic: Windows Updates fails configuring  (Read 20437 times)

Offline useronly

• View Profile
Windows Updates fails configuring
« on: July 30, 2014, 05:13:51 pm »
Hi

I have a Win 8.1 x64 PC fully updated (almost) Plenty of RAM, CPU and hard drive space.

I have Windows update set to Never Check, and Update Windows and MS Products.

I have had a lot of problems with Windows Update, I had been away from my PC for about 4 weeks and when I ran
Windows Update it found over 40 Updates, I selected all and clicked install, the caption changed to "Downloading updates progress 0%'

It stayed on 0% for over 8 hours before I gave up, Ran updates again, this time I tried one file, it worked okay then I selected four files,
that failed in the same way with 0% progress, I eventually managed to get all but two of the updates installed, but along the way I have had issues.

On some occasion "Check for updates" just ran for an hour or so and went nowhere, to fix this I ran "Action Centre's" Fix problems with Windows Update.
then it would run okay, sometimes, on other occasions I had to delete the content in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution before it would work (I turned off WU service first, the back on when I hade deleted the content).

Now I am a stage where nothing seems to get me over the problems, when I go through the "fix" process to get WU to work, the two updates are found, selecting either one or both installs them but on reboot I get a "Failed configuring Windows Updates, undoing changes"  during the boot cycle. This has happened many time.

I ran the Windows All In one fix selecting every option, that did not work, I did the change to DNS Server thing, that did not fix the problem, then I ran AIO again, that did not fix the problem,
I then ran the Repair WMI and Repair Windows Updates, same result.

On other issue that may be a clue is that the first time I run "Check for updates" after running the Fix, either Action Centre, AIO or Repair updates, (from this site)
I get an error 8024a000, which I believe is a connection error, I click on try again and it works, (finding Updates that is)

I have looked on the forums and I have not found a single definitive fix for Updates in Windows 8x, the other ones I have tries are

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Everything found on this site. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

I am on the Verge of giving up, can you help?

Thanks

savey
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 05:35:17 pm by useronly »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Updates fails configuring
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 05:54:40 pm »
Unless Shane has something up his sleeve then the only remaining option could be to Refresh  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Offline useronly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 06:15:44 pm »
Hi

then here's hoping Shane can see a way forward, I am not going through the Refresh/reinstall stuff again.

WU on W8 is the buggiest program I have ever seen, I have not had problems with WU before W8, MS need to fix their software,
it is after all paid for and we can expect it to function.

Cheers

savey

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 09:02:19 am »
There are a few things.

1. Lets make sure you dont have something on the system like a rootkit that might be getting in the way, combofix has been one of the best in removing things so far. So give it a try
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

2. Uninstall your antivirus for now and any 3rd party firewall program you have installed so we can make sure it simply isnt getting in the way.

3. Make sure you ran my newest version of the windows repair, which is 2.8.4 and when you run it make sure to run ALL the repairs.

4. Double check your date and time on the system. If it got reset or is wrong then updates will fail as well.

5. If that still doesnt get it working, try creating a new local user account, then log into that account and try it again.

Lets go from there :-)

Shane

Offline useronly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 12:10:15 pm »
Hi

I tried to run Combofix but got an error saying it was not meant to run in Compatibility Mode,

See pic Error 1

I checked the file and no compatibility mode was set.
Windows asked if I wanted to check the program for compatibility,
I selected yes and the result was that the program was not compatible
with Windows 2000

See Pic Error 2

Seems ominous to me.

Cheers

savey

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 04:53:42 pm »
ComboFix isn't compatible with Win 8.1 yet (dated May 2014) http://www.winhelp.us/combofix.html
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 04:58:22 pm by Boggin »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 06:49:33 am »
ComboFix isn't compatible with Win 8.1 yet (dated May 2014) http://www.winhelp.us/combofix.html

Odd, I thought they would have updated to support 8.1 by now. There isnt a whole lot different from 8 lol

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 10:13:59 am »
The free version of MBAM is an effective anti malware scanner which you could try https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Offline useronly

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 01:42:44 pm »

Odd, I thought they would have updated to support 8.1 by now. There isnt a whole lot different from 8 lol

Shane
No worries,

I ran ADWCleaner, TDSKiller, Malwarebytes and Kaspersky's 10 Boo Disk AV Scan, and all is clean.

I will create and test a new user account sometime today.

Cheers

savey
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 01:46:29 pm by useronly »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 02:54:49 pm »
I just updated the windows repair to v2..8.5 today which improves the repair windows updates. There where files that needed to be deleted but couldnt because they where in use, I fixed that so they are now removed, so it might help, once we know for sure your system is clean :-)

Shane

Offline useronly

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 08:50:22 pm »
Hi Shane

I ran the new windows repair v2..8.5 and that made no difference, I also created a new user account and tried under that account, I got the same issue.

Anything else I can try.

Cheers

savey

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 03:26:43 am »
You could try the DISM commands to check and restore health http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/hh824869.aspx

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 12:33:54 pm »
OK, my windows repair would have put back the registry keys for certain services that windows updates needs. Some viruses delete these services so people cant update windows. So lets go check if those services are there and running, if they are not then something removed them after my WR put them back, which would be a clear sign that the system is infected.

So go to your services and see if Windows Updates, Background Intelligent Transfer Service, Base Filtering Engine, Cryptographic Services are running or you are able to start them if they are not running.

Shane

Offline useronly

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 03:50:24 pm »
Hi

Windows Updates was set on Automatic and was not running but when clicked on Windows Update shortcut (find Windows Updates), it started (I have WU set on never Check),
Background Intelligent Transfer Service is set on manual but was running, base filtering engine is set on Automatic and was running, Cryptographic services
is set on Automatic and was running. Find Windows Update was running after the initial check of the Windows Update Service.

One anomaly which may be a clue or my not be is that I copied the text from your post to quicken my response but when I tried to copy
"Base Filtering Engine" the browser closed down, this happened three times, so Windows Update and  Base Intelligent Transfer copied okay
but Base Filtering Engine did not, seems strange to me.

Cheers

savey

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 07:58:59 pm »
That is odd. Good to see that the services are there.

On the browser crashing, I would check what add ons and extensions you have enabled. Might have a crap one in there.

OK try the windows updates one more time, make sure the UAC is on in the control panel and when you get the error message take a screen shot of it for me.

Shane

Offline scarsxp

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 08:46:07 pm »
Hi, I have a suggestion for you. I know it's not a solution to your real problem. You can still try to fix that.

But I update my windows through this method:
I use two programs, Auto Patcher.exe, and Apup.exe

One (Apup.exe) will let you choose which updates to download from microsoft, such as non critical and critical depending on your operating system. And the other one (Autopatcher.exe) (offline updater) will load all the files downloaded, and check the ones you have already installed and the ones you don't will be unchecked. And you can choose what you want to update and it will install them one by one automatically. It's third party tools. So it's up to you. I like to do things manually.

I could understand people not wanting to trust third party tools. And they just want to do it with Microsoft updates, so it's just a suggestion.

I already scanned the programs used with virustotal.com to make sure they aren't trojans or viruses.  You can check on it.

Note: You need Windows update service enabled for it to work

It's called "Apup_1_4_38.zip"
from
http://www.autopatcher.net/forum/

Auto Patcher had 1/51 ratio detection on virus total, which I believe was a false positive.

Apup had 3/51 ratio detection on virus total, which had 3 false positive generic detections I believe from some random un-reputable anti virus programs.

You can use it at your own risk. Just throwing out the suggestion there.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 08:55:37 pm by scarsxp »

Offline useronly

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 01:12:36 pm »
Hi Shane

UAC is on and the updates failed again, I cannot do a screen shot as the message comes up during the boot cycle.

"failed configuring updates undoing changes"

Regarding the browser crashing I only have Google Toolbar and Google Toolbar Helper enabled in Add-ons.
it only happens when I copy Base Filtering Engine from your post and not from mine.

And it is still happening.

Cheers

Daniel
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 01:16:00 pm by useronly »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 04:54:57 pm »
I don't know which link either of you are using for BFE but try this one http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/win-services/7/BFE.reg and I think you may have to launch it.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 01:02:57 pm »
I don't know which link either of you are using for BFE but try this one http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/win-services/7/BFE.reg and I think you may have to launch it.

Not a service problem. The updates are installing but when windows goes to do the final steps of the updates after reboot is when it fails.

Go to the winsxs folder and scroll to the bottom, past all the folders. What files do you have there?

Shane

Offline useronly

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 06:53:02 pm »
Hi Shane

I have "migration.xml" and "poqexec.log"

cheers

savey

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 09:19:37 am »
Those are the correct files that should be there. After doing updates there will be a pending.xml file there and then after updates are done windows removes that file.

Anything in the event viewer right after the updates fail that gives any info?

Shane

Offline useronly

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 01:48:33 am »
Hi Shane

this time the updates did not even install, the install dialogue ran for about and hour on 0%, during that time three errors came up in Event Viewer,

they are attached.

Cheers

savey

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 12:20:51 pm »
Dll files crashing, security tokens failing.

TiWorker is the exe that installs the updates and does the work. When it is trying it is crashing and the dll file is causing the crash.

So lets check that dll. Do a search on your whole drive for the file so we find every copy on the system. Then post a screen shot of the search results.

here is a screen shot of the files on my windows 8.1 system.

See if you have any extras.

Shane

Offline useronly

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2014, 04:28:30 pm »
Hi Shane

I really hope you are not going to be too upset with me but my PC started to have all sorts of problems, Windows Live Mail
was freezing, a program that runs Opditracker, a CD/DVD storage management program  stopped working and when I tried to start it
I got a message that Dot Net 1.1 needed to be installed, and other problems I figured I had malware of some sort, in spite of the fact that
ESET and Kaspersky Startup disk scan gave the PC a clean bill of health so I formatted and reinstalled the OS.

Thanks for your excellent help and programs.

Regards

savey

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2014, 04:30:38 pm »
I really hope you are not going to be too upset with me but

Not upset at all, sometimes a reinstall is the fastest and best fix :-)

Shane