Main Forum > General Computer Support

System Check Virus

(1/7) > >>

Allen:
Hey, it's me again. I have another computer problem (actually, the same one that I had last time, just not as advanced), and you helped me so well last time, I don't trust asking anyone else for advice.

Anyways, I've somehow once again acquired the System Check virus. Last time, I tried getting rid of it myself, which led me to having to reinstall Windows. My question is, what the best route to take to get rid of this thing? I'm able to launch in safe mode (in it right now), and ran avast!. It found 20 infected files, and after removing them and rebooting, apparently the System Check virus was not one of the infections removed.

There are several sites out there that help one walkthrough the cleaning of this stupid virus, but I don't want to take any steps until I get confirmation that I'm doing the right thing. Any advice?

I appreciate it the help again  :smiley: thanks in advance!

chris635:
I'm sure Shane can lead you down a better path, but I would run malwarebytes and see what that comes up with. Hope all goes well

Chris

Allen:
Thanks, I assumed that I would end up using malwarebytes, just wanted to make sure that there were no steps before/during/after using malwarebytes that I need to do in order to safely remove it and restore windows.

Right now, I'm just going to follow the instructions from this site:
http://www.myantispyware.com/2012/01/02/how-to-remove-system-check-virus/

Hopefully it'll work

Shane:
The most important thing after cleaning it up is to make sure your flash and java are up to date.

Check them now, are they out of date? Almost every virus my customers get are from security holes in java or flash that allows a bad advertisement or a bad site to install the virus without the user knowing. Every system I have cleaned has had an outdated java and or flash.

They are plugging these holes and new ones are found. Every infection I have cleaned up have stopped getting on my customers systems after making sure java and flash where up to date. :wink:

Shane

Shane:
Oh and run tdsskiller.exe to check for some rootkits. Avast and malwarebytes dont catch rootkits, they are too deep and hidden.

And is everything working ok or is anything out of the norm? Do a google search for anything, click on one of the results, does it get redirected to a different page? If it does you have a rootkit installed and still infected. :wink:

Shane

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version