Author Topic: DLL Issues - Can't Install a lot of programs, some programs won't start.  (Read 21529 times)

Offline Xyreaper

• View Profile
Hi,

Running Windows 8.1 and have ran into a major issue. Started off when my computer restarted, said it needed to run a disk check, and after booting it all went to.. well. Anyway. Whenver I right click on any program on my desktop I'm encountered with the windows bar that runs across the screen and says that you can't run this app.

After I click clos, the menu shows up and I can select the options such as open or run as adminstator. So for example I try to run chome and I'm greeted with "credui.dll is either not designed ro run..."
I can install some programs, but others give me other DLL errors. I've tried SFC Scan, DISM, too many malware protectors, but nothing comes up. I ran the Windows Repair after finding it today and went through all the steps, but even got DLL errors while running. - Like these for example.

The following helper DLL cannot be loaded: NETTRACE.DLL.
The following helper DLL cannot be loaded: DOT3CFG.DLL.
The following helper DLL cannot be loaded: DHCPCMONITOR.DLL.
The following helper DLL cannot be loaded: RASMONTR.DLL.
The following helper DLL cannot be loaded: FWCFG.DLL.

After working on this for hours I decided to refresh my PC, but since I don't have the windows DVD and I can't install the launcher (even under any type of settings) to get an ISO I feel as though there is nothing.

Anyone have any help here? I'm lost.

Custom Built Machine
Intel i5-3570k @ 3.4Ghz
8 GB Ram
Windows 8.1 64 Bit

I've tried booting in Safe Mode (all variants) and still have the same issues.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 08:43:59 pm by Xyreaper »

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
I have the same problem running Tweaking.com - Windows Repair but with Windows 7 http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,2188.0.html

What are the current version that you use? If it is an older version then you should try the newest version. and I still use the older version , If you got to fix a problem with the newer version then let me know the result.

Offline Xyreaper

• View Profile
I am running the newest version of it. At least since I found it yesterday I would assume it's the newest.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
I have the same problem running Tweaking.com - Windows Repair but with Windows 7 http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,2188.0.html

Um, this has nothing to do with my program and these errors are nothing like the ones you had lol.

So for example I try to run chome and I'm greeted with "credui.dll is either not designed ro run..."

When ever I see a error with a file like this it is almost always because the file got corrupted, and they normally only get corrupted if they ended up on a bad sector on the hard drive.

So first thing you should do, before anything else is a bad sector check.

Open a cmd.exe window as administrator. The type in
chkdsk c: /f /r

It will come up and say the drive is in use and do you want to schedule it, hit Y and then enter.

Now reboot. When the system comes back up it should start the chkdsk scan before windows loads. If it didnt then try it again.

Once the scan starts it could take a couple of hours, so go have some coffee :wink:

Once it is done it will reboot and in the event viewer will be the log of the chkdsk. We can check that log to see if any bad sectors where found.

Let me know how it goes. :wink:

Shane

Offline Xyreaper

• View Profile
AH sorry if I sounded like I was saying it was your programs fault - was just saying I even got the same errors running your program! I'll do a chkdsk c: /f /r
 now and post info in a bit. Thank you!

Offline Xyreaper

• View Profile
I just attached a picture of what happened after running chkdsk and trying to view the log.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 03:09:53 pm by Xyreaper »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Shane will advise you how fix that error (hopefully) but redo the chkdsk command again, but enter it without any parameters and the read-only report will remain in the command window.

You can then copy & paste its report into the reply box by right clicking in the text area of the command window, click on Select all then press enter - place the cursor in the reply box - right click and select Paste.

Offline Xyreaper

• View Profile
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk
The type of the file system is NTFS.
The volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk
might report errors when no corruption is present.

WARNING!  F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...

399872 file records processed.

File verification completed.

2837 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...

Index entry NonCritical_2152759308_aea7a243f522bbf5b36a66f58576b2e37b61fd2_00000
000_cab_06d3cfe6 in index $I30 of file 245757 is incorrect.
Index entry NONCRI~4 in index $I30 of file 245757 is incorrect.

Index entry CHKDSK.EXE-7F65C258.pf in index $I30 of file 373860 is incorrect.
Index entry CHKDSK~1.PF in index $I30 of file 373860 is incorrect.

477328 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.

Errors found.  CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
See if running a sfc /scannow as an admin from the command prompt can do anything with the file errors and if it reports that it has repaired all of the files then re-run the chkdsk /r - but data can be lost if it finds bad sectors and moves the data to the good areas, so backing up your personal stuff first is advised.

You may have to run a 3rd party disk checker like Seatools for DOS to determine if the HDD is shot. http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201271en and use Imgburn to create the bootable disk http://filehippo.com/download_imgburn

A Google does offer some Win 8.1 ISO download sites but as they seem a lot different to a Win 7 ISO download, I'll leave it to Shane to advise you on that.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
OK so you did this correct?

So first thing you should do, before anything else is a bad sector check.

Open a cmd.exe window as administrator. The type in
chkdsk c: /f /r

It will come up and say the drive is in use and do you want to schedule it, hit Y and then enter.

Because the log you posted after only shows you doing chkdsk without the switches /f /r

But it is finding errors on the drive.

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: DLL Issues - Can't Install a lot of programs, some programs won't start.
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 02:22:46 pm »
With the error in the snap-in so the log is inaccessible and the read-only finding bad files that it was unable to complete would suggest that the chkdsk /r didn't fix anything.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 06:26:13 am »
Hi,
               To my knowledge, chkdsk /f/r will fix the errors if found in the drive. Chkdsk r only reads the error but not fixing it. ok
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 08:59:01 am »
Hi,
               To my knowledge, chkdsk /f/r will fix the errors if found in the drive. Chkdsk r only reads the error but not fixing it. ok

As you will see from the following article, the switch /r implies /f so as well as moving data from any bad sectors it finds - it will also repair any damaged system files if it can.

The /r switch does not repair bad sectors but marks off the bad sectors after moving what data it can so nothing else can be written to them.

If a HDD has bad sectors in it, these can be seen recorded in chkdsk in read-only mode both before and after the /r switch has been used.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ee872425.aspx

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 04:33:53 pm »
Yes, it is always a habit of mine that I do /f /r together even though I dont have to. One of those things that I simply got use to doing lol

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 11:47:34 pm »
Hi,

When you run the Chkdsk utility program in read-only mode on a volume that uses the NTFS file system, Chkdsk may not detect corruption in the disk structure. This behavior can occur if the $logfile data region in the Master File Table is damaged.
                 So the use of chkdsk /f would fix this.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 02:39:54 am »
Hi,

When you run the Chkdsk utility program in read-only mode on a volume that uses the NTFS file system, Chkdsk may not detect corruption in the disk structure. This behavior can occur if the $logfile data region in the Master File Table is damaged.
                 So the use of chkdsk /f would fix this.

I was responding to your belief that the /r switch did not correct system file errors - but this discussion is detracting from help for the OP, whenever they decide to return.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 02:48:34 am »
Hi, Boggins
                      This is from my personal experience that there is difference when i used check /r. When i used the /f/r then , my system resumed normal and it fixes so much index errors and other errors. So, I advised. I am really happy to note your suggestions