Author Topic: Print Spool will not stay active. SFC / Scannow shows corruption but no repair  (Read 19958 times)

Offline dmroz

• View Profile
Windows 7 64 Ultimate.

I have tried everything posted by anyone regarding the serious problem Microsoft has with its print system.  The print spooler will not stay "started" which makes it impossible to install a print driver.  I have tried SFC /scannow and it shows corrupt files but doesn't fix them.  I have uninstalled the Windows print feature, rebooted and tried to re-install the print system.  Nothing I have tried works.  I also have the problem with Security Essentials not able to update its definitions.  This is a less urgent matter as Windows update is able to install any new definitions.  Microsoft doesn't acknowledge there is a serious problem with their software but it is apparent to me they have little to no support for it.

I have installed the very best rootkit and virus programs and nothing registers as a virus so I don't think it is due to an attack.

Any advanced help in resolving the print spool issue would be greatly appreciated.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, Did you try trouble shooting. This normally fixes the problem. If the driver is not installed , the printer would not work.By trouble shooting, I mean, click startmenu and then control panel and in the search box to the right of the screen, in the search box type trouble shooting, click trouble shooting and select hardware and printers menu. That will check the problesm including running of spool services and print drivers. if it could not find the drivers, it will give you its error reporting. Accordingly you could proceed. But normally the trouble shoot fixes all the problems connected with printers. What is the error it shows?
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline dmroz

• View Profile
I've tried everything published and authored by Microsoft.  Fixit didn't work and says it couldn't fix the problem.  similar to the sfc /scannow feature.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
As you have Win 7 Ultimate installed, I would assume that you have an install disk but if you haven't, you can download/save the SP1 ISO from http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/ and use http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool to create a bootable USB/DVD.

You'll need to change the Boot order to boot up with the USB/DVD and you can do that by tapping F12 as you switch on and use the cursor keys to select your chosen media.

If you opt for an USB then check that your computer has the option to boot from an USB before creating it.

Once you have selected the chosen media, insert the media and press enter.

Press any key when you are prompted to boot from the media and if you are eventually presented with a black screen with an option to press F8, do so and select Safe Mode with Command Prompt - else confirm the keyboard/language or currency as the option you are given.

Select Repair your Computer and make a note of the partition it locates your Win 7 in - it could be C: or D:

You'll eventually be presented with the Recovery Environment where you will have a number of options - select Command Prompt and enter these commands -

bcdedit |find "osdevice" (this is to confirm the partition letter and that's a Pipe symbol before find)

(Assuming C:) sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows

This command should repair the files that the sfc was unable to when run within Windows - but let us know what it reports.

Try the printer again but if the Print Spooler is still stopping, have a read through http://www.sysprobs.com/print-spooler-stopping-automatically-fix

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
I have had multiple customers who had this same problem, and for each of them it turned out to be an infection.

It had infected the spooler.exe file and that is why sfc says there is corrupt files but cant fix it. The virus isnt letting it. And since it infected the actual MS file on the system, most antiviruses wont touch it. This is why the virus maker targets actual system files, because most AVs wont touch it.

Combofix might be able to fix it, otherwise you would need to replace the file with a good one while you are not booted up in windows so that the virus cant stop you from replacing it.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi,
               Did you try JRT tool ?Pl try this. It fixes most problem as combo fix . It is from Bleeping com.Run it please
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/
You have to just permit if it says so. This will remove the latest rootkits and trojans, which are mainly responsible for these issues
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:52:35 am by jraju »

Offline dmroz

• View Profile
Thanks for the help.  I will try the suggestions and will report back on which of them fixed the problem.  I will start with the bootable media solution and SFC scan and go from there.

Offline dmroz

• View Profile
Update:  I tried booting from bootable media but SFC could not fix the corrupt files.  I am moving to the next suggestion and will post the results.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
ESET Free Online Scanner is a good in depth anti malware scanner http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

Click the Advanced button and check all of the boxes except the last one and the one to auto uninstall on completion, then disable your AV program immediately before you hit Scan - this scan will take some time to run.

Prior to doing that can you open a command prompt as an administrator and enter the command chkdsk and while it will snag corrupt files as the sfc was unable to repair all, look to see if it reports any bad sectors.

Offline dmroz

• View Profile
I ran Combofix and it didn't find anything wrong and didn't fix the problem so I am on to the next suggestion.

I have a CBS.log file from the SFC scan but I'm not sure what to look for so I will do some research on what the CBS.log file contains.   I think it is supposed to show which files are corrupt but it isn't apparent when looking at the file.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Were you able to run the chkdsk command in read-only mode to see if it reported any bad sectors ?

This article may be able to help with the CBS Log but the DISM command doesn't work in Win 7 http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-resource-protection-found-corrupt-files

As the CBS Log is quite large, you could .zip it and attach it to your reply for Shane to have a look at it, but unless you are able to replace the corrupt files then the next step would be either a Repair Install or a factory reset on an OEM machine after backing up your personal stuff.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 07:46:38 am by Boggin »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi,
            Try these steps. Install stalled printer from the link
http://stalled-printer-repair.software.informer.com/1.1/
And then open this. If it finds any files in the spooler, just purge it.
              Type services. msc and go to print spool services.  right click  and then Temporarily stop it. Then right click then click properties go to the recovery tab. There, you check whether two options are set to Restart the service. go to dependencies tab,and in the tab, make sure RPC is in started stage. Otherwise, find the service and get it started.
              After all these steps, again go to the spooler service to start the service. Be sure to set this automatic. exit the services editor and then try to print. If these steps do not help, then use the JRT tools to get rid of any malware

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Normally the sfc will log what file it couldnt replace in the event viewer.

A repair install would also most likly fix it as well. :wink:

Shane

Offline dmroz

• View Profile
Update:  I did an Upgrade Install and the SFC scan is now clean.  However the printer problem persists.  When I start the print spooler and quickly click on "add a printer" I receive the following error - Windows can't open Add Printer. Operation could not be completed (error 0X000006be).

I ran the Fixit program for printer problems and it didn't fix the error.

The print spooler will not stay active.  I am currently researching the 6be error message.

I found a Microsoft Hotfix for the printer issue described to have the 6be error but I haven't applied the Hotfix yet.  I am waiting for a backup to complete prior to applying it.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, Did you try jrt tool by thisusu.
               It will remove the inconsistencies in any service by any rootkit.
               The problem is seem to be driver corruption and also the trace of files still residing when you uninstall printers from registry's sub folders. Try it . It will do no harm to the computer. Just allow, when alert comes to scan.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Bad printer drivers or left over printer drivers can do it as well.

Backup C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers
and then delete the files there and then start the spooler service back up and see if it stays running this time.

Shane

Offline dmroz

• View Profile
If the Hotfix doesn't do it then check out these steps http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/3e47b7b6-00a3-47e1-9e28-e615fbff5f87/cant-add-printer-print-spooler-crashes-error-code-0x000006be?forum=itprovistaprinting or http://www.thefreewindows.com/5582/install-printer-windows-7-vista/

OK - the Microsoft Hotfix did nothing!  I didn't think it would.  However, by following the instructions posted in the link to remove stale printer keys from the registry the problem has been resolved!!!!  :smiley:It's hard to believe Microsoft was going to charge me to fix such a simple problem.  Although simple to fix it took me nearly a month to find something which actually worked! 

Thank you Boggin! :smiley:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Glad you were able to get it fixed and Thanks for the update.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Good to hear you got it fixed. To bad I cant add something like that to the Windows Repair, there would be no way for the program to know what keys are ok to delete. So repairs like that I cant add since it is automated. :wink:

Shane