Author Topic: Cannot get access to the internet  (Read 57000 times)

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
Re: Cannot get access to the internet
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 12:14:44 AM »
I belevie i have done that as well. Point of note i just checked Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network COnnections and my Wireless Network connection 2 is not connected it is called Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adaptor. There is a red x on it. But the other ones local are connection and Wireless Connection are connected. The former one says the device is working properly.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 02:09:13 AM »
It could be the services are playing up, but open a command prompt as an admin and run sfc /scannow to see what that reports.

Event Viewer should also have some info on what is happening.

Also check that all your Network Services are Started.

Go Start, type services.msc then press Enter.

Their startup type should be Automatic or Manual.

COM+ Event System
Computer Browser
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Network Connections
Network Location Awareness
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Server
TCP/IP Netbios helper
Wired Autoconfig is set to manual.
Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations only)
WLAN AutoConfig (Vista/7 wireless configurations only)
Workstation

If a service is not running, click on it to highlight then click on Start (top left).

If it fails to start then right click to open its Properties and check the Dependencies and that each of them are running.

Any of the Dependencies not listed in Services can be found in Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices/Non Plug and Play drivers and they may have a yellow alert against them.

Usually if any do have a yellow alert, some can be uninstalled by right clicking on them and selecting Uninstall and they will reinstate on the reboot, but if you need to do this, create a restore point first should they not auto reinstate and check that the restore point has been created.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 02:11:37 AM by Boggin »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 04:33:20 AM »
As suggested by Boggins, Try to include the event viewer log of the error id. Shane may be able to pinpoint the solution.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 09:28:06 AM »
It is the fact that you are able to ping google.com and pint 8.8.8.8 and you get replies from both. If the internet truly wasnt working then you would have gotten request timeout from both of them.

Any possible way for you to post a screen shot of both the ping results for me? Reason shy is I want to see what they report back. Ping goes out on a different port where wbe pages use port 80 and for https (SSL) they use port 443.

Most infections that try to hijack a connection will hijack those ports.

So just doing a quick google search for a site using a different port other than those two I found this one

http://labs.webmetrics.com:8080/

When ever you use a different port on a site you have to add it to the address, so this site I found is using port 8080, see if that page loads up for you. If it does then we know that something is blocking or hijacking port 80 and 443. :wink:

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 02:16:21 PM »
Server was turned off, what am i looking for in the event viewer?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 03:28:54 PM »
Does Event Viewer say why Server was not started or for any similar services and were you able to start it ?

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 03:56:52 PM »
it started with no problem. I tried the web address on port 8080 and it does not load, get message Unable to connect to the internet using google chrome, tried email and same.

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2014, 04:10:43 PM »
Try number 3

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 04:16:11 PM »
Have you run the sfc /scannow yet - and what did Event Viewer have on Server etc. ?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 04:18:44 PM by Boggin »

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2014, 04:37:23 PM »
It says that it supports file, print and named-pipe sharing over the network for this computer. If this service is stopped, these functions will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start. It was off i turned it on. WHat is the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter for there is a red x on it. Says it is not connected. SFC did not find any problems. How do i do a tracert?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2014, 04:56:14 PM »
Article on the Virtual WiFi Mini Port Adapter, but you can disable it if you aren't going to use it as it can sometimes cause connectivity problems, but never has done for me. http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/what-is-microsoft-virtual-wifi-miniport-adapter/

You just enter tracert at the command prompt instead of ping and it lists the Hops it would take to resolve the address - give it a try with www.google.com - it takes 11 hops for me from the UK to resolve with a ping of 30ms but as you are much closer it won't take so many.

There's one other thing that you can try and that is to right click on either the LAN and/or Wireless adapters in Network and Sharing Center/Change adapter settings (depending upon what you have enabled) and select Properties then uncheck the box for TCP/IPv6 - OK - Close then reboot.

Is what you posted about Server what was in Event Viewer or when you clicked on it in services ?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 05:02:26 PM by Boggin »

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2014, 06:36:49 PM »
It was in services, what would i look for in event viewer? Took me 10 hops ranging from a low of -1 to a high of 43 ms. Turning off TCP/IPv6 had no effect.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2014, 02:21:22 AM »
Hi, Rhuff  Please see this link
From
http://wiki.bitcomet.com/add_port_mapping_in_nat_router, where your problem have been analysed and workarounds are given. It specifically dealt with  half  internet connectivity.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2014, 03:40:48 AM »
In Event Viewer when it has read the logs, you will have listings for Critical, Error and Warnings etc.

Click on Error then on View All Instances of These Events in the right pane.

Clicking on each that are listed will produce a brief description in the lower window - check to see if any relate to connectivity and let us know what they are together with the Event ID No. if any.

On the affected computer open a command prompt and enter ipconfig /all then right click in the text area and click on Select all then press enter.

Open Notepad or Wordpad and paste the output into there and Save_as then copy that across to your working computer and copy & paste into the reply box.

Can you also run the ipconfig /all command on your working computer and note that the preferred IP address for whichever adapter you are using for the Internet on that one is not the same as either of the Wireless or Ethernet of the affected one.

If you are getting a DHCP address assigned on the affected computer, then you can try assigning the affected computer with a static IP address for it either in the router or in the computer's TCP/IPv4 Properties - but we'll need to see the output of the ipconfig /all first.

As you are able to ping 8.8.8.8 then you could try using that DNS address in the computer's TCP/IPv4 Properties.

Check the radio button for Use the following DNS server addresses and enter an 8 into each of the boxes in the top row and then 8.8.4.4 into the lower row - check the box for Validate settings upon exit - OK - Close and that should activate the Troubleshooter - let us know if that reports anything other than couldn't find a problem and then reboot.

Can you also check back with your ISP to see if they can still detect Citadel from your IP address.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 05:13:48 AM by Boggin »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2014, 12:46:00 PM »
The part that makes this confusing is the fact that the pings work, and even have really good response times.

Cant remember if you tried this yet or not, but download the newest version of my Windows Repair tool, make sure to do a clean boot and then run all of the repairs.

Also download teamviewer from another computer and put it on yours and see if it is able to get an id and password. If it is able to get online I could connect to you and take a look as well. Mainly because I am freaking curious how pings work nice and fast yet nothing else does lol

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

anything