Author Topic: Cannot get access to the internet  (Read 103273 times)

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
Re: Cannot get access to the internet
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2014, 10:58:24 pm »
Ok i ran the microsoft FIXIT program and ran the

netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /registerdns
exit

Still no connection to internet. The pendrive is a flash drive that i have all these scanner programs and utilities you have all suggested to run, i download them on good computer and run them from the pendrive on the affected computer. THe subnet mask did reset to 255.255.255.0 like you said. Do not think i have ever had counterspy installed and same with vipre (is that a antivirus program.?) Uninstalled Stardock. I was using both utorrent and bitcomet to download (if i uninstall them i need to save the torrents so i can finish downloading the programs i am trying to download, mostly videos/travel shows)

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2014, 11:05:37 pm »
Just tried to run chkdsk and it will not run, says a previous installed program is preventing it from running, use system restore. But i do not have a restore point prior to this problem:(

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2014, 03:22:54 am »
I don't normally advocate using registry cleaners, but the one in the free version of CCleaner is an intelligent one and offers to make a back up which you should do. https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

You could also use the Cleaner option to clear the cache - tips on using CCleaner http://www.howtogeek.com/113382/how-to-use-ccleaner-like-a-pro-9-tips-tricks/

For the registry clean, uncheck the box for ActiveX but the Missing Shared DLLs is optional.

I think you normally get those DLLs on OEM builds because of generic OS installs, but where some could use either Intel or AMD - Shane will probably know more about those and correct me if I'm wrong.

The previously installed program that is preventing chkdsk could be anything - either one currently installed or orphaned files from a previous incomplete uninstall.

CCleaner will normally root any residue out.

If you are still unable to run chkdsk /f after running CCleaner, then perform a clean boot and try it again. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

I think disabling the programs in Startup should be sufficient, but you may have to disable the non MS services under the Services tab.

Run MiniToolBox again - no need to attach its report just yet, and check to see if the Hosts file has repopulated - there should only be one entry in there but if it has, then that could be the work of µTorrent or bitcomet and will have to go - neither are recommended to use and you will have to run the MS Fixit again.

Can you also check to see if that Winsock layer is still showing as broken ?

While using most P2P programs pose a risk, some of the lesser known ones could be a little bit safer - have a Google to see if you can find any alternatives to those two.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 04:50:58 am by Boggin »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2014, 01:25:54 pm »
I sent him the info on how to do a repair install without losing his data, waiting to hear back :wink:

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2014, 01:59:37 pm »
Thanks for the info Shane, but I think as long as he continues to use µTorrent and BitComet he his going to have the same problems.

If the Hosts File has repopulated, I think that will confirm that.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2014, 03:39:10 pm »
When I teamviewered in and checked I couldnt find any infections and host file was good. BUT he has over 1 TB+ of data, so a virus could be hiding anywhere.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2014, 01:11:59 am »
Hi, Shane,
                  Just he says that he runs utorrent and another bit comet to download and he says that he will continue to do so. One torrent is enough to stop the internet connection . He use two. Just imagine. The torrents , from computer to computer method, will try to steal the speed when torrenting. It is universal truth. secondly, i my self experienced when i used the torrent, that my speed abnormally goes up, even than DAM or other accelerator , which normally i would not get, as my speed is regulated by the service provider as per my cost broadband plan. the thread owner does not seem to realise that torrents seek not only torrented files but also not torrent files from the connected computers. So, if i  type a suggestive download, it gets that from running computers using torrent. Torrent downloaders would not forgive me for this post. But it is true. Moreover, the service provider , by any program would or would not be monitoring the speed and if regulate them. These are all torrenting tutorials, which provide you abnormal speed for torrent downloads, leaving less or nil to other internet connectivity. Am i correct? Shane
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2014, 01:13:29 pm »
There was a large number of programs on the computer, and over 120+ processes running. Could have been anything.

Shane

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2014, 12:30:21 am »
Did the msconfig thing and ran ccleaner, no luck, what program can i download to run from my usb stick to do what chkdak does? Burned the win7 cd shane, going to do the repair install. How much free space do i need before i do this on the c drive? I think i may have to delte some files.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2014, 12:40:26 am »
Hi, Delete or copy the other files from c: drive, it should contain only the system files. You could copy the other files to other drives. I think, what ever you do, the repair install would not work, if you continue with torrent downloading. The only way is to copy all the files to other drives. You have to re download the application files fresh after installation. Repair installation would not get your internet connectivity. You just format the c: drive and then re install the windows . You have to scrupulously follow the instructions in this link to avoid any problem during the installation
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1.htm
                     The applications other than the systems have to be reinstalled. There are no ways how you could kill torrents.It is high time that you choose to copy the data and other useful files from c: drive to some other drive and then resort to clean install of windows

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2014, 01:11:19 am »
THat the problem i do not have another drive to dump this data onto (will have to buy a 5 tb drive to do this) - i have total over 12 tb of data between all my drives. Need a NAS backup system but to expensive. :(

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2014, 01:14:19 am »
So am i to assume that doing the rapair install is a waste of time ?

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2014, 01:25:55 am »
I would also like to point out that i have used both these programs to donload torrents for years with no problems. I think i got the virus problem off of demonoid site when they finally came back online as they were hacked by some jerk near the beggining of this year. I have been downloading for over 30 years and this is the first time i have had this occur. Target and Home depot have been compromised and i think that this virus that nailed them is possibly on my system. I have had bad dealings with other virus's in the pass and they were a challange to get rid of but i managed to fix them. THis what i have is a mystery and i am stumped.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2014, 02:47:56 am »
P2P are notorious for infections and your past experience bears testimony to that.

Without going back through the thread, what was the error message you got for the failure of chkdsk and do any of these problems apply to you http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975778

Hopefully Event Viewer should have more info on its failure.

You can use this method to check the integrity of any connected HDD http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/433-disk-check.html

The repair install may not rid you of an infection if one is still residing as for the most part, your programs are left intact - but prior to performing a repair install, check the Networking drivers then download/save those to external media so that you can drop them into Windows\System32 when the repair install is complete.

You would normally back up the Drivers folders in System32 but there's still no telling what is blocking connectivity. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

If you were using an OEM build then a factory reset is the most effective way of restoring a computer and so is the clean install - but both being cumbersome.

Just as a matter of interest, is the clock showing the correct time ?

I think if you are going to continue to use P2P then perhaps you should consider creating a Virtual Machine which will protect the main system from any other nasty incursions http://www.howtogeek.com/56158/beginner-how-to-create-a-virtual-machine-in-windows-7-using-virtual-pc/

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 03:52:00 am by Boggin »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2014, 03:54:04 am »
hI,
                   Repair install will only replace the files of the system, where it is corrupted and not present, but in no way delete the other files present in the system directories or registries.  Moreover, if one has updated some service pack, then repair install may not work. Are these information correct?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2014, 04:37:35 am »
hI,
                   Repair install will only replace the files of the system, where it is corrupted and not present, but in no way delete the other files present in the system directories or registries.  Moreover, if one has updated some service pack, then repair install may not work. Are these information correct?

If Shane has pointed rhuffman to the correct Win 7 ISO download site such as http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/page-2#post-124821 they include SP1 but the sevenforums tutorial I've linked, explains the repair install.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2014, 12:34:59 pm »
I already gave him these links to get the iso (I even downloaded the iso for him) and the guide for the repair install. And yes he has plenty of space for the repair install and no you wont lose any of your data :-)

https://sites.google.com/site/linuxlablibrary/windows-iso

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Shane

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2014, 12:59:17 pm »
Ok this is weird, i deleted the network cards in device manager and rebooted, also did memory test and set page file to 0 and restore is set to 0. I now do not have wireless access unless i type the router key in, but i have wired connection. I do not have any bars in the inet icon in bottom right corner of screen but i do have internet access. I loaded bit comet and it is no downloading. Holy crap this is bizarre.

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2014, 01:13:49 pm »
Sorry i mean it is downloading, but now it is slowing down and only 1 file is downloading.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2014, 01:15:10 pm »
Do the repair install like I asked bud :wink:

Shane

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2014, 01:58:06 pm »
Am going to do today, have some time off from work:)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2014, 02:00:53 pm »
After you do the repair install you might get some errors from programs, you can ignore them because after the repair install you need to go do all the windows updates, so any program that needed .net and such will complain at first but will be fine after the windows updates are done :-)

Shane

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2014, 02:03:10 pm »
Ok will do

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2014, 02:53:03 pm »
Did you download and save the Network drivers to external media as I'd advised so that you could drop them into Windows\System32 after the install had completed ?

Leave Bitcomet off for the time being and see if you can connect with just the on board LAN - there's no point in risking another infection as you'll only have Windows Firewall to protect you until you install an AV program.

Providing you didn't check the box to include software when you uninstalled the Network drivers in Device Manager, Windows Update should have a Wireless driver - but it's not likely to be the latest one.

Just as a point of interest Shane, are those designated as ISOs in your link less SP1 ?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 03:00:09 pm by Boggin »

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2014, 04:58:07 pm »
Boggin explain how i download the network drivers, would they not be infected as well?