Author Topic: Cannot get access to the internet  (Read 103282 times)

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
Re: Cannot get access to the internet
« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2014, 08:31:35 pm »
i cannot stop the boot screen for the error for chkdsk. says autochk cannot run and then i get error message. Is there a program like chkdsk that will do what chkdsk does to fix files etc?

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 19, 2014, 09:05:02 pm »
It tells me it cannot run because of a previous installed program and to use system restore. I cannot use system restore as it is turned off. I just installed Norton utilities and i cannot run a surface scan (it says the drives has errors). If i install the restore win7sp1 will i have problems since chkdsk says there are erros on the drive?

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2014, 11:10:09 pm »
I could also run Spinrite (low level formatting program, but it takes a day at least or longer. It may fix the errors on the drive.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2014, 12:02:13 am »
Hi,  It seems that you are doing all the tricks in your sleeves to get back the internet. I think that your computer is invested with so many infections and missing files, that it may not be possible for you to fix. Best way is   re installation and that too clean installation. I think tha you have done all the possible manual operations and ready made fixes.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2014, 12:15:52 am »
Im a pig headed guy when it comes to fixing computers. when i was working as a tech i took on the hard to fix jobs and did not give up until i fixed it. I try everything possible before i concide defeat. Went and looked at hard drives today, have to buy at least a 4tb to back all this stuff up before i do a wipe and reinstall. Loaded Belarc today to get all serials numbers of my software etc. Man this is a major mystery, i really want to find out what the hell is wrong with this system.

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2014, 12:16:34 am »
Hey maybe i should give Leo of ask Leo a call he he ")

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2014, 07:03:28 am »
I'm like you - I prefer to fix before replace just to try and find what is wrong, but if Norton has detected bad sectors then the system files that you need for normal connectivity could be on those bad sectors and that your computer finally is infection free.

As you are able to get a wired connection, you can download your Network drivers and save them onto a Flash Drive as the ISOs don't include any drivers and then you can reinstate connectivity after you have swapped out the HDD - but if you can boot up into Safe Mode either by tapping F8 (probably) or through msconfig, select Safe Mode with Command Prompt and enter chkdsk without any parameters to see if that will run in read-only mode, as any 3rd party conflicting programs won't be loaded - whether that is µTorrent, BitComet or whatever else you have downloaded and without a timestamp on this, there's no knowing which program that could be.

That will report any corrupt files/bad sectors without repairing anything.

If that still doesn't run, HDDScan 3.3 is a program (if you are able to download) that you can run S.M.A.R.T. and other tests on and that will show if there's anything wrong with the HDD - but once a HDD develops bad sectors then it's only a matter of time before it fails completely and when you are fortunate enough to have forewarning of that - you have time to back up for a replacement. http://hddscan.com/

A chkdsk /r doesn't repair bad sectors - it just moves what data it can to the good areas of the disk, repairing any system files and marks the bad sectors so nothing else is written to them and if those bad sectors have non system data on them - then that data can be lost.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 07:33:16 am by Boggin »

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2014, 09:43:05 am »
i have done the chkdsk in safe mode and normal mode with /r works fine. Just wondering if I do the repair install if it will fail if it hits the bad data. It is not bad sectors but corrupted data. Running spin rite is a very good way to find out if any bad sector are recoverable, it does a low level format without losing your data, takes a very long time but it works. Many bad sectors are just corrupt data. I have resurrected many drives with this program and the drives I have fixed with this program are still running fine. My torrent will not load, says wrong version of windsock and I cannot re install over it. The bit comet downloaded 3 cam movies and started to download a data program but then eventually stopped. Rest of torrent in bit comet now just say connecting, still no email and browser access, will attempt the repair install today, if that does not work then I will have to buy another 4 to 5 terabyte drive and dump the files I need to save. Ran bel arc to get all keys and data I need before install. Then re partition and format and do factory restore.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2014, 12:52:11 pm »
If you were unable to run chkdsk before in normal mode - what has changed and what did chkdsk report ?

Is this an OEM machine as you mention factory restore ?

If you format an OEM machine then you will lose the Recovery Partition.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 02:01:10 pm by Boggin »

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2014, 02:46:41 pm »
Yes oem machine, operating system is on d drive partition. I made the restore dvd's when i first bought it. it is a HP I7 machine. Just ran chkdsk in windows in read only mode and it does only 3 checks and it says all is fine.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2014, 03:02:49 pm »
Then all you need to do with the current HDD, once you have backed up your personal stuff is to factory reset via the RE and there'll be no need to repair install.

I don't know which AV program HP preinstalled as bloat but you can use one of the Uninstallers from http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/ prior to installing your preference before running Windows Updates and leave µTorrent and BitComet off until you have everything else reinstalled and then anything you do afterwards should point to the cause if lack of connectivity reoccurs.

To save from doing another factory reset, before reinstalling µTorrent and BitComet - if you must and after uninstalling the bloat, would be to create a full system image and then you wouldn't need to sit through hours of Windows Updates again.

CHKDSK in read-only also says if there's any bad sectors - did it report any ?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 03:15:22 pm by Boggin »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2014, 01:08:37 am »

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2014, 09:08:18 am »
Chkdsk reported no bad sectores in read only mode. I installed Norton Utilities and ran everything it has and now when i re-boot it always wants to runs chkdsk which fails because i get the error message that a previously installed program is preventing it to procede.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2014, 02:13:45 pm »
You said earlier that the chkdsk /r ran okay in normal mode - what has changed from when you first got the error message that it couldn't run because of previously installed software to being able to run it to a repeat of the error message ?

Just to confirm the HDD is okay, can you copy across that HDDScan 3.3 that I'd linked in Post #106.

It can run S.M.A.R.T. and when you click on the HDD symbol you can select a Surface Test - which takes a lot longer.

If it's just corrupt files that's causing the problem then booting up into Safe Mode > select Repair your Computer and navigate to the Recovery Environment and run either the Startup Repair up to three times if it continues to report it is unable to auto repair or select Command Prompt and enter sfc /scannow which will report what it has found/can do.

If that reports that it was unable to repair some files then an offboot sfc /scannow after booting up with the bootable install disk should fix those if needed and hopefully the connectivity problem.

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2014, 09:25:57 am »
well after Shane's help yesterday and the repair restore failing it looks like I have to do a system wipe and factory restore. Thanks for all your help guys.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2014, 01:20:21 pm »
With the amount of programs that are installed, that have been uninstalled and other problems even the repair install of windows failed, repeatedly. Each error it would give I would give him a way to fix and continue on. The repair install got all the way to installing the files and then failed yet again.

A fresh install is very much needed.

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 23, 2014, 02:56:54 pm »
A repair install doesn't always work on an OEM machine - it certainly doesn't on my Toshiba.

I've tried this a couple of times and it seems to get almost to the end and at exactly the same spot, it fails and then you have to sit through while it restores the original version.

If you wipe the HDD then you will wipe the Recovery Partition and you will have a computer without an OS.

If you have back ups of what is on the computer then follow the steps in the link in Post #111 to factory reset it.

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 27, 2014, 11:26:20 pm »
Was talking to a local tech from a very good computer shop here in my town and he told me that some virus can hide on the drive even when you wipe the drive, they hid in a hidden part of the drive (something like a double partition or something. He suggested i remove my drive from my pc and attach it to a usb connector and plug it into my MAC and wipe and partition it with the mac thereby nullifying the virus that may be on the hard drive, different file system than the PC and then after that put it back into the pc and do the install of windows and it will ask you to partition and format it to NTFS. He said if i wipe it on the pc and re-partition it and format that there is a possibly of the virus still be able to hide on the drive and after doing the re-partition and format it reactivates itself. Sounds strange! But god who knows.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2014, 01:45:37 am »
I suppose you could do that but see how you get on by factory resetting it with the OEM Recovery disks or factory resetting it from within the Windows Recovery Environment (WRE).

An alternative is to scan with MBAR.

While this article pre-dates the final release of MBAR, it will walk you through the procedure to scan your full system and could be less painful to do than the work involved in either removing the HDD or a factory reset. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/how-to-use-malwarebytes-anti-rootkit

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 29, 2014, 10:22:57 am »
That would be a Master Boot Record type of virus. Formatting the drive wouldn't wipe it, BUT destroying the partitions and recreating them would as a new MBR is written when you do that. No need to hook it up to a mac.

I do it with every install of Windows 7 i do. When the install gets to the point of the hard drive and where to install it, I delete every partition there is and just leave one big partition. Not only is the file system destroyed but the MBR is destroyed and recreated as well.

The MBR holds the information on how the logical partitions, containing file systems, are organized on that medium. Besides that, the MBR also contains executable code to function as a loader for the installed operating system—usually by passing control over to the loader's second stage, or in conjunction with each partition's volume boot record (VBR). This MBR code is usually referred to as a boot loader.

This is why when you destroy the partitions and create new ones the MBR gets written again, when you simply only do a format, the partitions do not change so the MBR doesnt need to be written to, so if there was a virus on the MBR then it would still be there after a format, this is why a format doesnt work.

But taking the steps of hooking the drive into a mac is not needed at all :wink:

Shane

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 02, 2014, 10:02:34 pm »
anyone help him chk hosts file corruption?

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 02, 2014, 11:18:49 pm »
Rick i beleive i have done that, but for review purposes how do i do that. I am almost postitve that shanes suggestion programs have done just that.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 03, 2014, 09:32:16 am »
You've already run the MS Fixit to reset the Hosts file and Shane found it to be okay when he Teamviewered in, but you can manually check it yourself by pressing the Windows key+r then type notepad C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts then press enter and that will open in Notepad.

You should have 127.0.0.1 localhost - that's you.

and possibly        ::1          localhost - which is for computers that support IPv6

http://www.tech-faq.com/127-0-0-1.html

If it has repopulated then run the Fixit again to reset it http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 03, 2014, 02:40:55 pm »
Yes the host file was fine when I looked at the file system.

I had him boot up ubuntu off a usb drive on the bad system and I teamviewered in and took a look at the drive. I wasn't able to look at the registry since I wasnt in windows, but I did check all the normal places that viruses tend to hide. Drivers, appdata, windows, all over the place. Even checked the host file and I couldnt find any virus of any kind.

But again, the amount of data on the drive was over 1 TB+ so I didnt check every folder of course, so one could have been hiding else where. But for the normal hiding spots they where all clean.

It is very possible that windows is simply shot, isnt infected but instead the registry and drivers got royally screwed to the point that a repair install wont even work.

A fresh install is a must. When windows has over 1 million + registry keys on a fresh installed system alone, not to mention if the winsxs folder gets messed up then sometimes there is no way to fix it but to start fresh. at least at that point it would be the fastest way to get back up and working.

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 03, 2014, 03:58:08 pm »
Create a restore point then boot up with a Win 7 install disk - Repair your Computer and navigate to the Recovery Environment, select Command Prompt and with the following commands, the registry can be reset to default - but I'm not sure if this would take it back to pre-SP1, so a manual Check for updates would be prudent after the reboot.

I'd borrowed these commands from someone else a while back and have tried them on this laptop after creating a restore point.

After the reboot, the computer seemed slow which is why I thought it could be pre-SP1 - but it did work.

At the command prompt type c: and press enter.

Then type and enter -

copy C:\windows\system32\config\regback\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy C:\windows\system32\config\regback\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy C:\windows\system32\config\regback\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy C:\windows\system32\config\regback\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy C:\windows\system32\config\regback\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

Press the "Y" key after each copied file to confirm you want to overwrite the existing registry files.

Enter exit to close the command window, remove the Win7 install disk and click on Restart