Author Topic: Cannot get access to the internet  (Read 103268 times)

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
Re: Cannot get access to the internet
« Reply #125 on: October 04, 2014, 10:46:11 pm »
Local host is 127.0.0.1 like you said, did your next suggestion, drive c: did not have the windows dir, it was on drive d: did all commands and it overwrote as expected. Botted and it did not work, still no access to the internet.

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 04, 2014, 10:47:54 pm »
Bought a 5 terabyte drive and am going to copy all downloaded program i want to keep and the torrents to drive and then do a factory restore. This has gotten to be a impossible fix.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2014, 12:34:10 am »
Then it isn't the registry that is causing the problem.

Did you check Device Manager that the Network adapters weren't displaying yellow alerts or red crosses ?

When you say you are going to copy all of the downloaded programs you want to keep, you can only reinstate those from a system image which would defeat the object of a factory reset as you cannot just copy a program back in.

Any programs you have will need to be reinstalled afresh after the reset, but after reinstalling your AV program then the Windows Updates, check connectivity after each reinstall or any of your files and don't do them en-bloc - as something in those must be the cause.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 01:03:05 am by Boggin »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 05, 2014, 07:25:36 am »
hi, rhuffman,
                    While installing afresh, i would request you not to have the torrents, as it is the culprit in slowing your computer or taking full download speed. I have already told thro  my posts that how the torrent kills internet speed. Only Windows OS  could be copied. Programs registries are written when you are installing a program or application. As Boggins suggests , You could only copy the installation effectively. For all other programs you have to reinstall. For other files, you could copy to other drives other than the OS installed drive
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 05, 2014, 09:29:32 am »
Guys I am not going to copy dirs of programs already installed, I will copy over moves and programs I downloaded from the net that are completed downloads. All games and programs I have installed I will reinstall after restore. I have a lot of TV show torrents that I want to finish downloading. I guess I can backup the torrents to other drive. Will search drive for all torrents and remove them to other drive and I will also virus scan them all. But first thing I must do is restore my 4tb drive, partitino table scrambled, will transfer those files to 5 tab drive, then wipe 4 tb drive and repartition and format it. I used bel arc to get serial numbers and info of system. This is going to be a long and painful restore.

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 25, 2014, 12:07:07 am »
Update: Rescued all files, bought 5 TB drive to back them up. Question....I have a copy of windows 8.1, if i do a upgrade install do you think it may fix this problem. Also what are your views on Win 8.1, is it worth buying ?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 25, 2014, 02:24:19 am »
I have no practical experience of Win 8.1 so cannot offer an opinion on it but have seen a number of threads where those users have also had connectivity problems.

If you already have an 8.1 disk, why do you need to purchase ?

If you do decide to go ahead with its install, first run the 8.1 Upgrade Assistant http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/upgrade-assistant-download-online-faq to check for compatibility issues and create a full system image before installing should you need to fall back.

I'm not sure how long it will be before Win 10's release and there are rumours that the Enterprise version will be offered free - with purchasable apps.

As MS are trying to put as much distance between themselves and Win 8, it's not known how long they will continue to support 8.1.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 08:58:40 am by Boggin »

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 25, 2014, 11:39:50 am »
My copy is a downloaded copy not legit and it runs that re activate program every 180 days, not going to buy a copy especially since windows 10 is on the horizon. Was just curious if installing would possibly fix my corrupt windows. Shane suggests not to and to do the system recovery from my factory disks which i guess i will do.

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2014, 11:40:48 am »
Guys what is the link for me to download a new copy of windsock.dll for windows 7 64 bit? Been trying to find it online but no luck.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2014, 12:06:15 pm »
Guys what is the link for me to download a new copy of windsock.dll for windows 7 64 bit? Been trying to find it online but no luck.

What's happened to your existing winsock and what errors are you getting in Event Viewer ?

It's not advised to download .DLLs from the 'net as they could contain viruses.

Depending upon what error you are getting, either use your restore points back to when the error was no longer being reported and/or open a command prompt as administrator and enter sfc /scannow and let us know what it reports.

You can also download MiniToolBox and check the box for List Winsock Entries and post that so we can have a look at them.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/dl/65/

Because of a recent bereavement, Shane isn't likely to be back until Monday.

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2014, 08:05:52 pm »
it tells me WSAStartup() failed, or you have the incorrect version of windsock. (this happens when i try to load torrent program. When i try to load emule program i get Error initiating Windows sockets.Bitcomet loads fine. I have ran shames program and the src and all the other programs you all have suggested. I just got my modem replaced with a new 100 mb connection, so it is defiantly no the modem. I just want to get a new windsock file and try to replace it, i all need to register the file etc, need the commands to do this. I have 5 days off in mid november and if this does not work i am wiping the drive and doing a complete factory restore.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2014, 01:32:50 am »
As Shane has already advised you to factory reset, I think that would be the best option as a sfc /scannow has failed to replace the file.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 31, 2014, 04:46:19 am »
Hi,
          A little bit of instruction. Do not know whether would work for you.
                      You could open with 7zip, the OS , that now you have and depending upon your windows version, you could copy the one from the installation DVD for 64 bit. Though one has only one version of the operating system, the DVD has all version of windows, but you have to select the correct version , whether ultimate verson, etc.
                      The same set of windows files, as in your operating system, in the same location for example if a file is in c: windows, the same will be found in the same directory. Only thing is you have to correctly choose the version and path  and then it is a matter of minutes to get the copy of any dll files in to your system.
                        The detailed instructions are given in this wonderful link. I have succeeded in copying some of the corrupted files in the system with my own dvd. Just you have to download 7zip, to get this done
                 the link is
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/42776-extract-files-windows-7-installation-dvd.html
                          You have to scrupulously follow the instruction there.
                            SFC scannow could correct only from the winsock or store in the downloaded os folder. If these are corrupt, then the same file will be copied from store. This is one of the alternative, which proved to be good. I have copied wanted files from the installation dvd, which have all the version on it.

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 17, 2014, 04:48:20 pm »
Well guys i bit the bullet and did a factory restore, been installing all my programs and games, what a chore.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 18, 2014, 12:57:50 am »
It can be a chew especially with all of the Windows Updates but at least you end up (in most cases) with a working computer - just be careful with P2P otherwise you'll be back to disinfecting/trouble shooting again.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 18, 2014, 02:59:49 am »
Hi, rhuffman,
                       Please close the thread as solved by editing your opening post and add Solved to the title text.