Author Topic: ie11 protected mode question  (Read 8661 times)

Offline rpesq

• View Profile
ie11 protected mode question
« on: September 02, 2014, 11:14:08 am »
Hi Shane,

I wanted to ask your opinion on this.  My cousin, who is not PC savvy, bought a new laptop (Win 8.1).  He uses IE(11) because it is the only browser that allows you to right-click on a photo and "Email Picture" -- and the browser will actually email the photo, not just a link to the photo.  That is an important feature for the workflow he does.

He runs Kaspersky AV because he is familiar with it.  He doesn't download any software.  He mostly uses email, browses news & financial websites with IE, and watches some YouTube for entertainment.

He has had a few issues with IE11 on this new PC, and they are easily solved by disabling "Protected Mode" under Security.  I know that I can solve each issue one-by-one by a variety of repairs, but I went the easy route and just disabled Protected Mode.

How big of a deal do you think this is?  I do not have a strong grasp of what Protected Mode really adds. 

thanks,
bobby

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: ie11 protected mode question
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 01:20:17 pm »
Explanation of Enhanced Protected Mode http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2864914

Also when you check the box for Enable Enhanced Protected Mode you are also using IE in 64 bit mode against its default 32 bit mode, which may require you to install Java 64bit should you land on any sites that require Java.

There aren't many but I've hit a couple recently that wanted to run the Java Plugin Helper when I usually have Java disabled in all browsers.

Offline rpesq

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 01:32:31 pm »
This isnt ENHANCED protected mode, just regular Protected Mode that is found under the SECURITY tab of IE.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 01:38:30 pm »
Sorry - forgot about that one as it's default checked in IE 10 Win 7 x64 bit http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-vista/what-does-internet-explorer-protected-mode-do

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 04:20:25 pm »
I refuse to use IE lol I always use firefox, and I did look at the send image and you are right, it only does the link. I did find this
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=234678#c6

Turns out that copy image works and then I can open an email and paste it right in. Why on earth they wouldnt just have it attach is past me lol. And the copy image is the same in chrome.

Looks like the IE version of email image is that it copys it as well and then pastes it in the email for you.

I have customers who have to turn protected mode off and they are fine. it is only helpful when you might have an add on you dont trust. :wink:

Shane

Offline rpesq

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 04:32:58 pm »
Thanks Shane, you're the best.  I came to the same conclusion that it really isn't a big deal to leave it off.

Believe it or not, I could not find an alternative solution (extension or otherwise) to this "Email picture" for either FF or Chrome, so IE became the only option.  That said, I cannot fathom why FF or Chrome do not have this feature.  I can see how some people would find it very convenient.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 04:41:49 pm »
When I was googleing it to see if there was a simply option in the about:config to change it I couldnt find anything. And tons of people have asked for it.

But I do know from a programmers point of view it is a pain in the butt. On one of my programs for a customer of mine I have an email option. To attach a pdf with outlook I have to call the code in a certain way and because of the increased security it becomes harder. Then, if they are not using outlook (Outlook lets you make calls directly to it) then I have to use the MAPI on the system, and the email client that the user is using has to support the MAPI on the system in order for it to work. So i tried to get my code to work with thunderbird and it simply wouldnt work like it should. Adding text to the email was fine but the attachments I couldnt get working because of MAPI and security.

So there is a good chance that they dont offer it either for the same reason. With an email client you dont know which one you might be working with and you dont know if it will support the mapi protocol or not. So instead of trying to make something work that has so many unknown variables it is easier to give the copy image option. When then simply copies the image to the clip board, at which point you can go paste it into anything you like that supports having a picture pasted into it.

So seems like they found that route much, MUCH easier :-)

Shane

Offline rpesq

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 05:07:29 pm »
You are probably right about the reason.  My cousin really wanted to stick with how he has always done it, so that left IE as the only choice.  I'll leave the protected mode off unless he requests otherwise.