Author Topic: Blue screen  (Read 11100 times)

Offline [email protected]

• View Profile
Blue screen
« on: September 03, 2014, 03:36:34 am »
Hi
I have trouble with a blue screen and then shut-down, before all this happened I had brought a WD My Book 4tb drive and installed the apps and tried to back up a secondary drive (750gb info), this did not complete properly and ever since I have had a BSOD problem.
Strangely on the notification flag (bottom right) a "backup in progress" clock appears, when I go Back Up proper, back up is NOT running.
To try and re-set things I started back properly and after about 3 mins BSOD. I have treid this several times with back up to different drives, same result.

I have just used you Windows Repair prog and did everything as instructed, even a clean start, but the problem is still there.

Please have you got any suggestions ??

I have attached notepad file of several of the shutdowns, the problem seems to always be the same.

Cheers
Bob

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Blue screen
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 10:00:44 am »
Grab this program called WhoCrashed
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/whocrashed_free_home_edition.html

It will tell you what the possible file or program was that caused the blue screen. Let me know what it says :wink:

Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 12:31:56 am »
Thanks Shane
I attached the file ? from "who crashed" also have attached a notepad copy in case.
Anyway looks like it could be a hardware prob, so today I will give my machine a good dust down and try re-seating the drives and anything else I can do easily.
Thanks very much for your help.
Bob

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 09:21:33 am »
Anyway looks like it could be a hardware prob, so today I will give my machine a good dust down and try re-seating the drives and anything else I can do easily.

That is a good first step, also make sure to drain out all the power to properly reset the hardware. Pull the power cord out and hit the power button a few times, when it tries to turn itself on, all the power will instantly drain out.

If that doesnt do it then we will need to check some other things. But somethings a reseat, cleaning out and power reset can make a big difference :-)

Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 12:54:45 am »
Cleaned the box out, drained power, reseated everything I could lay my hands on switched on perfect, ran all day no probs.
Switched on this morning 5 mins - crash !!!, the blue screen has writing on but it goes off so quick I cant read it, is there a way to find out what it says ?
I have attached the dump files (latest) and a notepad of Who Crashed.
Appreciate your help.
Cheers
Bob

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 04:06:00 am »
Tap F8 (usually) as you switch on and using the cursor keys select Disable automatic restart on system failure and press enter.

This will allow you to read the Stop Error Code.

You could also try Last Known Good Configuration as well.

Laptops tend not to have this but with a desktop, tap F2 (usually) to go into the BIOS and check the temperatures.

Also if you have an external HDD connected when you boot up or a DVD left in, then they should be removed as that can confuse Windows as to which to boot from.

If you can boot up into Safe Mode with Networking, that would tend to point to your Graphics.

If you can boot up okay in Safe Mode etc. and the temps don't display in the BIOS, then download HWMonitor which will give you that info - or you may be able to copy it across from another machine. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Also if Safe Mode with Networking works okay then go to the computer or motherboard support site and download the Chipset/Video drivers, but the Stop Error Code will better pinpoint the problem.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 05:07:51 am by Boggin »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 12:59:33 pm »
Didnt see the note pad from who crashed.

You can also permanently keep the system from rebooting on a blue screen, in windows right click on computer and go to properties. Then go to system properties and then advanced. Under startup and recovery click the settings button. Then in there take the check off of automatically reboot :wink:

There could be a number of reasons it is happening, so it is going to be a list of trying different things so we can mark things off.

You said you switched it on in the morning after a day of it running fine and had a crash. I want you to do the power reset again and nothing else. Then try it out. If it works fine after a power reset again then that means you could of had a power surge during the night or you may have a weak power supply. So lets try that first so we can at least cross it off the list :wink:

Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 12:47:20 am »
Thanks Shane
I will go through the list today.
Be back later
Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 12:51:06 am »
Sorry - forgot the Who Crashed notepad
Here it is
Also a who crashed output

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 01:21:49 pm »
How did the power reset go?

Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 02:52:01 pm »
Hi Shane
Yes after the power reset I left it a couple of days and no crashes.
Before this reset if I tried to back up (Windows back up) 10% to 20% through it would crash for sure, tried this several times and to different drives.
Tonight, just this minute finished a full back up with no crash !!!

So looks like the problem may be solved, but tomorrow I will start editing (HD Video) again and we will see what happens then.

Still would like to know why though, please note - 6 months age refitted my computer with these specs:-

i7-4770 3.5GHz
ASUSZ-87-K Motherboard
Nvida GeForce GTX760
16GB Kingston Hyper RAM
C: = Samsung SSD 840 Pro

All going brilliant until I brought a WD My Book (4TB) for back up and installed all the WD apps, then tried to back up, things just went downhill from there really.
By the way this WD drive has been disconnected and ALL WD apps uninstalled while this last try has been going on, I shall try reconnecting the WD (but NO apps) after my editing session to see if that crashes it.

I really appreciate your help again and will definitely let you know how I get on.
Cheers
Bob

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 03:09:22 pm »
I have heard that the WD app is horrible and has caused a lot of problems for people. I never use the software that comes with external drives lol

Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 12:36:35 am »
Hi Shane

I have good news, I have been video editing like crazy and have done two full backups to different drives and NO crashes and no problems.
I am very grateful for your advice and your excellent "Tweaking.com" program.

As a foot note if you are thinking about buying a WD My Book, don't !!! As I said I have backed up to two other drives with no probs, BUT every time I tried to back up to WD drive it crashed my computer, then I deleted all the apps and formatted the WD and tried again, computer didn't crash, but back up wouldn't complete either !!
The WD works ok with storage and stuff though.

Again thanks very much
Bob

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 12:38:42 am by [email protected] »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 01:30:31 pm »
Good to hear you are working :-)

All I use is WD drives, BUT every new WD external I get I instantly format. I NEVER install their software. :wink:

Shane