Author Topic: you asked for new ideas  (Read 5287 times)

Offline Carwoola122

• View Profile
you asked for new ideas
« on: September 03, 2014, 09:26:35 PM »
Hi, I've no idea if my idea (pardon the pun) has been realised already, at least I haven't found a working solution. The problem I have is with a Windows 7 machine which has a corrupted Windows Installer and all MS & other fix-it suggestions have not worked so far. The system refuses to install any upgrades and/or new applications. I found a way around by creating another fresh admin account and switch to it when an upgrade or new application install fails in my logon. This works as long as the application is installed with global access.
It would be nice to have this problem fixed but as mentioned in the beginning, I haven't found a fix yet?
Peter N. :angry:

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
Re: you asked for new ideas
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 09:30:47 AM »
I found a way around by creating another fresh admin account and switch to it when an upgrade or new application install fails in my logon.

Sounds like it might be a permissions problem. I would run the Windows Repair and have it repair the permissions for the registry and the files and also have it do the Repair MSI, make sure to do it under the account that is having trouble and let me know if that does the trick :wink:

Sometimes the problem with something in Windows isnt the main cause but rather failing because of something else, in this case possibly messed up  permissions or a registry key.

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Carwoola122

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 01:06:18 AM »
... many thanks for the quick response Shane, I will follow your advice and run through the recommended repair procedures with the repair tool probably over the weekend and then try an installation ... any suggestion for a suitable application test candidate?
PN

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 01:00:50 PM »
Any MSI installer will do for testing, you could also try a big msi file as well, libre office is free and is a msi installer :-)
http://www.libreoffice.org/

Shane

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline Carwoola122

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 01:12:01 AM »
Ok, here is a detailed run-down: I started the repair-tool on Friday night after doing the recommended clean-boot etc. > it ran through task-1 without a problem; then it went into task-2 (permissions) and ran for about 20min or so when I noticed that the CPU meter slowed down completely and was sitting on 0 mostly with a short 0.01 flash every 5sec or so. I left it alone for about an hour without seeing any progress and then had to hard reset the machine as there was no response via keyboard or mouse (cursor was moving though). I checked the permissions settings and made sure that only drive-C was selected as all other drives (4) only hold data files (1TB+). I then rebooted the machine again and restarted the tool, it again went fairly quickly to task-2 and after 20-30min the CPU activity went back to 0 as before. This time I left the machine running over night but it had not moved when I checked in the morning. Since we had to go away for the weekend, I reset, rebooted and restarted the tool again and left the machine running. It's now Sunday night and when I checked task-2 hadn't progressed again and I needed to hard-reset the machine again and then logged in normally. Otherwise everything appears to be working ok and I was thinking of bypassing task-2 before running the tool again, however that probably defeats the purpose of the exercise?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks
PN.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 01:37:39 PM »
When the program sets permissions it calls the setacl exe from the files folder. That exe is what sets the permissions.

And so if it is simply stopping then that could be an indicator to a problem on one of the drives. When you have it do the file permissions have it only do the C: drive and skip the others and see if it finishes.

If it looks like the cpu stops doing anything open the task manager and make sure cmd.exe is running and the setacl file is running.

My program knows when a repair starts and finishes by this, when it starts a repair at the start of that bat file it creates a file on the root of the c: drive. When the program sees it it knows the repair started. Then another file is made to let the program know the repair is running, and at the end of the bat file that file is deleted and the program knows the repair is finished or if there is no cmd.exe running it knows the repair is done as well.

So if the program thought the repair is still running then that means it was seeing both the file and that cmd.exe was running.

File permissions are stored in the file system itself, this is why a drive has to be ntfs formated to have permissions and not fat32 like in the Win98 days. So if the file system has errors on it then that would explain why the setacl might be having trouble.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Carwoola122

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 03:37:21 PM »
Hi Shane

'And so if it is simply stopping then that could be an indicator to a problem on one of the drives. When you have it do the file permissions have it only do the C: drive and skip the others and see if it finishes.'

I already selected drive-C only after the repairs stalled the first time. The permissions task actually runs for about 15-20min before stalling and then the response to any keyboard or mouse input is basically nil (the mouse cursor does move though) that's why I have to do a hard-reset. Btw, the C-drive is a Seagate Hybrid drive (HDD + SSD) and I have checked it with chkdsk /F to make sure there are no file system problems.
I fully agree with you that there must be a permissions problem somewhere which causes the Windows Installer to fail as well as any repairs to stall. I was contemplating to simply take ownership of all files on the drive but wasn't sure if that causes more problems that what it's worth?  I don't know of a tool which could check and report on all files and permissions without trying to fix it so I could possibly replace these files? however, this probably wouldn't tell me of any corruptions in the registry?

Thanks
Peter

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 10:50:44 PM »
Sounds like the system is running out of system resources during the permissions repair. Have you tried doing a clean boot to make sure nothing else is running?

The reason I think it is running out of resources is because of the mouse and such not responding well. Something is ticked off at that point, so by making sure any and all other programs are closed we can at least count out it is one of them that is throwing the fit lol

Shane

(About Shane)