Author Topic: Internet Explorer stops working everytime I open it.  (Read 5801 times)

Offline wildlife107

• View Profile
Internet Explorer stops working everytime I open it.
« on: September 05, 2014, 11:53:39 pm »
I am currently using Internet Explorer 11 and when I open it is basically says it has a problem for which there appears to be NO solution and then closes the program. Now before anyone tells me to open control panel and then uninstall the software and re-install, the program is NOT listed in my program files anywhere, so I have no idea how to uninstall it from my system. I have tried downloading it from Microsoft but it keeps telling me that I already have the latest version running and will not allow me to install this version or overwrite it. I believe IE is corrupted but how do I uninstall it if I can not find it. I have tried using the repair all in one from this site, but that did not fix the problem. Hope some one can help?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Internet Explorer stops working everytime I open it.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 02:27:20 am »
IE is part of Windows and can be "uninstalled" by going into Programs and Fearures/Turn Windows features off or on and uncheck its box, but it's best to install another browser before doing this as you will lose all access to the Internet.

Reset IE to defaults first also before you uncheck its box, reboot then go back into features and recheck its box.

You haven't said which version of Windows you are using but for Win 7 go Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) and IE should open to tell you are using it without add-ons.

Click on the home page icon to see if it remains stable then.

If IE is still unstable then boot the other browser you have installed and download/run http://support.microsoft.com/mats/ie_performance_and_safety

If IE works okay without add-ons then you will need to uncheck all of them and recheck one at a time until the problem reoccurs.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Internet Explorer stops working everytime I open it.
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 01:20:51 pm »
Have you tried my Windows Repair tool to see if it helps?

And when removing IE 11, (You didnt tell me what version of windows you are on) if On Windows 7 you have to go to the add remove programs and put a check on show updates. That will show it and restore the version before it. If on Windows 8 ie 11 came with ti show you have to go to the windows features to uninstall it.

What version of Windows are you on?

Shane