Author Topic: Another Way To Fix A Stubbornly Broken IE (Internet Explorer)  (Read 6196 times)

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
Another Way To Fix A Stubbornly Broken IE (Internet Explorer)
« on: September 08, 2014, 02:13:55 PM »

This fix I did was the only thing that fixed a broken IE on a newly installed machine.

The problem started after a fresh install of Windows 7 64 bit. The Default IE was installed and working fine, all other updates where done, but during the install of all the updates and drivers, one of the drivers caused the system to crash. After that crash all updates would install fine except for IE 11.

Every time I tried to install IE 11 it would say there was another update waiting to finish, even though there wasn't and no other updates gave that error.

I ran my Windows Repair tool and still I couldn't install IE 11. Again, IE 8 worked fine.

So Here is the steps I took to get IE 11 to install properly.

Step 1. Go the programs and features (Under the add remove programs in the control panel) and then take the check mark off of IE to remove it. When done reboot.

Step 2. Since all other updates where installed Windows 7 gets the Windows Cleanup option under the Disk Cleanup. Run the disk cleanup and put a check on everything, including the windows updates. Once it is done cleaning you need to reboot for the windows update cleanup to finish.

Step 3. This step may be optional, I don't know. I ran my Tweaking.com Windows Repair and had it repair the Windows Updates. I did this because the repair clears out all the download history or temp files from the Windows Update.

Step 4. Once the system was booted back up I then installed IE 11 directly (Without putting the default IE back on) to do that you have to download the whole setup for IE. So download the offline installer for your version of windows. In this case it was for 64 bit.

I use Firefox and downloaded it, you may want to download it first before you remove the old IE if you dont have another browser installed.

32 & 64 Bit Offline Installers:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/internet_explorer_11_preview.html

Done!

The IE 11 install went through fine without any errors, and after I was done and rebooted after it installed I checked Windows update and it download any updates for IE 11, and all those installed fine.

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline dalepbaker

• View Profile
Re: Another Way To Fix A Stubbornly Broken IE (Internet Explorer)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 10:53:30 AM »

This fix I did was the only thing that fixed a broken IE on a newly installed machine.

The problem started after a fresh install of Windows 7 64 bit. The Default IE was installed and working fine, all other updates where done, but during the install of all the updates and drivers, one of the drivers caused the system to crash. After that crash all updates would install fine except for IE 11.

Every time I tried to install IE 11 it would say there was another update waiting to finish, even though there wasn't and no other updates gave that error.

I ran my Windows Repair tool and still I couldn't install IE 11. Again, IE 8 worked fine.

So Here is the steps I took to get IE 11 to install properly.

Step 1. Go the programs and features (Under the add remove programs in the control panel) and then take the check mark off of IE to remove it. When done reboot.

Step 2. Since all other updates where installed Windows 7 gets the Windows Cleanup option under the Disk Cleanup. Run the disk cleanup and put a check on everything, including the windows updates. Once it is done cleaning you need to reboot for the windows update cleanup to finish.

Step 3. This step may be optional, I don't know. I ran my Tweaking.com Windows Repair and had it repair the Windows Updates. I did this because the repair clears out all the download history or temp files from the Windows Update.

Step 4. Once the system was booted back up I then installed IE 11 directly (Without putting the default IE back on) to do that you have to download the whole setup for IE. So download the offline installer for your version of windows. In this case it was for 64 bit.

I use Firefox and downloaded it, you may want to download it first before you remove the old IE if you dont have another browser installed.

32 & 64 Bit Offline Installers:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/internet_explorer_11_preview.html

Done!

The IE 11 install went through fine without any errors, and after I was done and rebooted after it installed I checked Windows update and it download any updates for IE 11, and all those installed fine.

Shane

Shane ,
Did NOT work,it stillsays IE9,10,and 11 installed already.
Does NOT show up in turn or off features or History Installed.
I also noticed Internet Options in Control Panel is partially there.
It is the registry where the problem lies,I believe.
No Icon at all of Internet Explorer of any version.

Dale

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
Re: Another Way To Fix A Stubbornly Broken IE (Internet Explorer)
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 11:17:26 AM »
I will reply back in your other thread for this :-)

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com