Author Topic: (Solved) server not found error mozilla firefox solution ?  (Read 39141 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
(Solved) server not found error mozilla firefox solution ?
« on: September 10, 2014, 05:15:05 am »
Hi, This is a usual practice for me to first click the link in google to get the server not found error in mozila and again tryng retry button, i get the link. This is true even for your site. why is this so? A solution was given to change the server address to Google .Can i try this? What is the risk involved in it?
Configuring your network settings to use Google Public DNS
Or is there any other alternative ways. the first click at once produces server not found error. Before that i was getting problem loading errors?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 08:20:21 pm by jraju »
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: server not found error mozilla firefox solution ?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 05:25:07 am »
You could try changing the DNS servers to Google but first try these commands as an admin from the command prompt -

netsh winsock reset catalog
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
exit

Now reboot.

If there's still problems run an anti malware scan, then run this MS Fixit  to reset the Hosts file as it can sometimes become corrupt either through an infection or just Windows. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 06:04:37 am »
Your solution of ms fixit fixed the problem. I think. But i have also done the commands on elevated cmd/ first. But for academic sake, i want to know the reason, for getting the link in my second attempt. I usually get the link in my second attempt.
                  Now after your solution, i am getting the link at first attempt itself. Moreover there is some speedy browsing also.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 06:33:15 am »
There's one site in particular that I go to occasionally where I get the unable to connect message now and again and clicking on the Refresh symbol in the top bar usually does it.

If you start getting this with every web site that you are trying to access, then it's usually because of a corrupt winsock (Windows Socket) and resetting it is usually the fix.

Winsock - http://www.techopedia.com/definition/5030/windows-sockets-winsock

Hosts File - http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

So if either gets corrupt you will either have problems connecting to the web site or with the latter, it may not display fully.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 08:21:23 pm »
Hi, Before asking tips to reset winsocks to correct the problem, i wish to know that it is anything to do with the firefox browser.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 12:34:05 am »
Hi, Before asking tips to reset winsocks to correct the problem, i wish to know that it is anything to do with the firefox browser.

No, if it's a winsock or Hosts file problem, you would get the same problems whichever browser you were using as it affects the way your computer connects to a website - did you read the articles on winsock and the Hosts file that I'd linked as to their purpose ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 06:20:43 am »
Hi, I reset the host file by Ms fix and i could only learn something about winsocks in the link. Now the problem is not that much. I get the link at the first attempt, barring a few sites. When i click the link, it immediately flashes server not found error, without any back curling.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 07:46:34 am »
Here is a checklist you can work your way through which is headed by the first suggestion I would make and that is to see if you get the same problem with another browser. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/server-not-found-connection-problem

This will determine if it is Firefox (for you) or the computer which can include an infection when you can't get any websites.

The first thing I do then is to run the browser (I use IE) without add-ons - if that works then I would normally download/run AdwCleaner.

The next is a choice of running netsh winsock reset catalog and netsh in ip reset resetlog.txt or booting up into Safe Mode with Networking - the latter if works would tend to point to your AV program and to confirm that, perform a clean boot as your AV program isn't isolated in a clean boot.

When it's just the odd websites then the winsock command can help but if just one, I normally just use Refresh.

If the Refresh symbol isn't showing then tap F5.

Clearing the SSL state can also help, although I don't know how this is done in FF but in IE it's Tools > Internet options > Content > Clear SSL state and this article explains what that does http://science.opposingviews.com/clear-ssl-state-mean-22093.html

Anyway, see how you get on with the checklist.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 08:43:56 am by Boggin »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 04:05:12 am »
Hi,  I have browsed thro the net and enabled firefox as program to be allowed by windows firewall. This is not found in the default allow programs list in the firewall. Is it so? Should we have to remove this and add it in when the firefox gets updated.
                      Now the server not found error is not coming. But i want to know, why we have to add this to allow list in the firewall. What is your settings , shane? i have selected the windows firewall from control panel and then clicked on allow programs in the left and then choose change settings. I did not find the firefox in the allowed list. Then  i clicked on another program and browse to c:program files\moziall firefox folder to get the exe file and then select add and then ok to finish the process. Should we have to do after every firefox update. Why firefox is not included in the default allow list, google chrome is found. Once i add, iget the firefox name in the allow list. i checked again to be sure. please advise
                 Hi, boggins, i have checked the other browsers and there is no problem.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 05:35:10 am »
Was the server not found error message still popping up before you allowed it in Windows Firewall ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 05:57:37 am »
Yes. Still i am trying for solutions. I am using firefox latest and i have enabled auto detect settings in internet explorer. There was an issue, that when the firefox updates, the firefox previous version in the windows firewall conflict with the new one and there is possibility of fixing which i reported in my previous post. Still server not found problem persists. What is your firewall settings for browser. Why the firefox is not included in the default list of browsers. Only google chrome finds place in the allow program. I have anyhow browsed and enabled firefox. But that is not a fix, i suppose.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 07:29:21 am »
I use Norton 360 which has its own firewall and disables Windows Firewall on installation.

I can't remember, but if it's Avast Free that you are using, then perhaps uninstalling that and trying something like Avira which has its own firewall may be an option, but I can't understand why Windows Firewall is causing problems for just FF and no other browser.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 10:00:58 pm »
Thanks boggin for reply.
 Hi, Shane, is there any firewall by avast free? can i enable it instead of windows firewall, which is default?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 12:57:47 am »
I think the Pro Avast has its own firewall but Avast Free doesn't, which is why you need Windows Firewall or one of the others and is why Avast Free can run alongside practically any other AV program.

I think some use ZoneAlarm with Avast but you would need to Google to see what's available and for the Pros and Cons of each.

I think you still need to install another AV program that has its own firewall which will disable Windows Firewall, as that for me is the only way you can eliminate Windows Firewall as the cause of the server problem.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 01:02:16 am »
http://www.comodo.com/home/download/during-download.php?prod=firewall&track=2202&ref=TDJodmJXVXZhVzUwWlhKdVpYUXRjMlZqZFhKcGRIa3ZabWx5WlhkaGJHd3VjR2h3
Please see this ; Comodo firewall link.
               Forum members of some forum suggest using comodo firewall instead of zone alarm. I want your recommendations of running this free version. Should i have to disable the windows firewall after installing the comodo. There is no free firewall in avast.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 01:16:16 am »
When you install Combo, that will auto disable Windows firewall and while I've come across those who are quite happy with it, it has caused problems for some.

Give it a try and see how it goes.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 01:22:18 am »
Hi, I mean comodo and not combo

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 06:12:57 am »
Hi, I mean comodo and not combo

I get mixed up with names as well but knew what you meant  :cheesy:

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 12:46:30 am »
Hi, But comodo firewall has 220 mbs of huge download. I give it up. Still getting server not found errors. I tried all sorts of things but a click in a link immediately get this error, even without back curling starts. Usually when one clicks the link, it curls back some seconds and then get you the link. But even without curl back action, i get this error. should i allow a little bit somewhere in the firefox settings. Pl

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 03:01:54 am »
This isn't browser specific so just changing settings in one browser wouldn't do it.

Give this a try - Open Network and Sharing Center and if yours is set to Home Network, click on that and change it to Work Network or vice versa if not - then reboot.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 04:04:32 am »
Hi, What is the assumption if i change the settings. Computer default is home as per access settings it found.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 04:29:15 am »
Hi, What is the assumption if i change the settings. Computer default is home as per access settings it found.

There isn't a great deal of difference as you will see from http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/43629-network-location-set-home-work-public-network.html but it may configure Windows Firewall settings a little differently which could make a difference.

I know my TalkTalk Home page opens quicker when it is set to Work Network and it's easy enough to change back if you require Home Network for a Home Group.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2014, 05:09:05 am »
hi, I changed to work group. Let me see if i still get servr error

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2014, 08:17:37 am »
hi, I changed to work group. Let me see if i still get servr error

Well ?  :smiley:

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 08:54:07 pm »
Hi, I am still getting this error randomly. How to set the DNS as google. Any risk involved in it. Is that a cumbersome procedure. pl