Author Topic: (Solved) server not found error mozilla firefox solution ?  (Read 39176 times)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: server not found error mozilla firefox solution ?
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2014, 12:41:09 am »
It's straight forward to change the DNS servers in the computer, but you could also leave those as auto and change the DNS servers in the router.

You would need to check the router manual or have a hunt around in the router's settings for DNS and a reboot of the router is usual to effect the change - make a note of  the default DNS settings, but normally when you have the option to change from Auto to your preferred, it will revert to those when the router is rebooted after changing back to Auto.

To change them in the computer, Open Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings > right click on the adapter you wish to change > click on Properties > TCP/IPv4 > Properties and check the radio button for Use the following DNS server and enter 8.8.8.8 into the top row then 8.8.4.4 into the lower row.

Check the box for Validate settings upon exit > OK > Close and that will active the Troubleshooter and if that reports it couldn't find anything then you are good to go.

You can also try Open DNS which is for the Primary 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 for the Secondary.

If you open a command prompt and ping each, you will see which has the best Latency for your location.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2014, 05:00:47 am »
Hi,
             The firefox browser only works with google . It has no search engine of its own.
             If i change the DNS settings to google, what i hope to get because of this change.
               I think too much technical aspects revolve round this is creating server not found error in Firefox. When you use google chrome, there is a possibility of compromising your computer to hack attacks. I have done resetting firefox, flush of dns etc etc. I even use minitool to dns flush etc. Still the server not found error appears randomly. The curling backward stops immediately to show this error. So, is there anything that can stay curling back until the link is caught,without breaking in the middle. What is the settings, Do any one knows that so that i could try that. Whenever you click the link , it back curls and then front curls to connect to the link. Am i correct? How to adjust this curling
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2014, 08:42:21 am »
In extreme cases I run netsh winsock reset catalog as an admin from the command prompt or reset the Hosts file to default http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

You could also run the command netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt which is more for actual connectivity issues, but resetting won't harm.

MiniToolBox will show how many entries are in the Hosts file or you can press Win key+r and type notepad c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\Hosts then press enter.

Mine looks like this -

# Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handle within DNS itself.
#       127.0.0.1       localhost
#       ::1             localhost

Search engines and DNS servers are different and I use my ISP's home page on both FF and IE which is AOL based.

Do you get the same hang in Safe Mode with Networking ?

I use IE and if a search starts to hang, I initially go Tools > Internet options > Content > Clear SSL state but I don't know if this would have any effect on Firefox, but if I remember rightly - this isn't browser specific for you.

Other than what you have already tried and changing the DNS servers either in the router or the computer - nothing else comes to mind and I don't think power cycling the router would help.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2014, 08:33:02 pm »
Hi, boggins

Why No proxy in firefox, and uncheck autodetect are recommended steps by ask leo to get rid of internet errors. Would they save time? What are the risks involved in i do these settings. Normally one would prefer autodetech settings in IE and FF, but leo says that it is better to uncheck and select no proxy. Now i have done these steps, and there is no problem of internet connectivity.
                         What about extending the curling time in firefox?
                           Proxy means the alternative to the original. Is it not? What is the benefit of these settings .

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2014, 01:17:10 am »
As far as I knew, the Auto detect should always be checked and the Proxy unchecked but I'll bear in mind what Leo has said.

A Proxy is an intermediary server between the browser and the network address and can be set up by infections to hijack your connection, but you would normally only use a Proxy server if you were connecting through a corporate network which businesses set up, which I think is for added security and they would set their own Proxy address and port to be used.

I think IE auto detects otherwise when a Proxy is in the route to a network address.

I've only ever gone into IE's settings that have corrected an anomaly and hardly ever of those for FF, as I just use that as an alternative browser when I have problems working a website in IE.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2014, 05:34:59 am »
Hi,
                      I could understand that. thank you. I asked you the nature of risk if you choose auto detect in Firefox. I use firefox, instead of IE, as normally it is easily get compromised in simple hack attacks. be it babylon tool bar or any PUP, they easily crept in to the target tab in the internet explorer. Here FF is safe, it does not easily allow unwanted PUP or tool bar.
                     But i think there is some problem when firefox updates and the firefox in the firewall settings not changed to updated one. This is the main problem  I think so. Let me see whether server error still continues

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2014, 08:19:22 pm »
Hi, Shane and Boggins
                          My server not found problem got fixed by the ask leo advice, by unchecking autodetect in IE and selecting no Proxy settings in Firefox. Now, the back curl is complete and the links are shown correctly. I already wrote about it in previous posts. I thought that firefox settings would be doing something in this regard.
                            But Shane, how did this fix my problem. What is no proxy settings means? When i had the defaut system proxy settings, i got that error. Pl. I will mark it as solved.

Offline Rick

• View Profile
Re: (Solved) server not found error mozilla firefox solution ?
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2014, 09:18:24 pm »
Suggestion which needs beta testing.

fix your profile cannot be used:

Action; delete/remove files in the local user default browser folder;
C:\Users\ User \ AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

can change Google to other Browsers Directory:

delete;

webdata
webdata journal

restarted the browser

its a quick fix for google, hope it works for other issues; maybe will work with all browsers
other suggestion is to delete all the files in the default local browser;
Be careful to save cookies and bookmarks first

good luck